HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 3:32 PM

TEAM Intends to toss Vision Vancouver from City Hall

Looks like some folks are trying to resurrect TEAM (The Electors Action Movement), the group once led by legendary former mayor Art Phillips. Good luck to them:

http://www.straight.com/news/386321/...-out-city-hall

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 5:27 PM

anything that can potentially even at the very least take some power away from vision on council would be a good thing in my books.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 5:35 PM

I've been away from Vancouver for a couple of years now and have not followed the day-to-day of local Vancouver politics (Toronto's local politics has been more than sufficient). Aside from ongoing opposition to planning and development, and the changes to the Parks Board and community centres, what are the main grievances that is prompting the formation (or resurrection) of TEAM as a fourth local political party? All that the article's sources really had to contribute was "throw them out of office".

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 6:01 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I think the biggest issue if the feeling of not being listened to is what is driving the formation of the new party. The current planning/development situation leads many to beleive things are a done deal before heading to council. Even the community planning process seems more lead then listened to. Having been involved in it I don't agree completely but can certainly understand why some might feel that way. This relates to a bunch of other items as well like the bike lanes, viaduct removal, a big pushback right now is also CACs being used towards non-market housins instead of amenties that serve the general population, there are many others too.
Think the best description I've heard from a fellow citizen is that council has already decided what it's going ahead, but it allows the citizens to decide what colour the planters will be and what to put in them so they can rightfully claim they listened to the public.
Will be interesting to see how things play out, NSV didn't do very well in the last election but they showed there is growing resentment.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
I think the biggest issue if the feeling of not being listened to is what is driving the formation of the new party. The current planning/development situation leads many to beleive things are a done deal before heading to council. Even the community planning process seems more lead then listened to. Having been involved in it I don't agree completely but can certainly understand why some might feel that way. This relates to a bunch of other items as well like the bike lanes, viaduct removal, a big pushback right now is also CACs being used towards non-market housins instead of amenties that serve the general population, there are many others too.
Think the best description I've heard from a fellow citizen is that council has already decided what it's going ahead, but it allows the citizens to decide what colour the planters will be and what to put in them so they can rightfully claim they listened to the public.
Will be interesting to see how things play out, NSV didn't do very well in the last election but they showed there is growing resentment.
+1

There is a real feeling amongst many that Vision councillors have their minds (sic) made up long before any public hearings take place. That renders the whole process a sham.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 10:52 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
+1

There is a real feeling amongst many that Vision councillors have their minds (sic) made up long before any public hearings take place. That renders the whole process a sham.
Doesn't that happen anyway, regardless on who is in power? Its not exactly something unique to Vision...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
Doesn't that happen anyway, regardless on who is in power? Its not exactly something unique to Vision...
like, say, a politician like Kevin Falcon?

How long have you kept that sig, anyway...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 11:08 PM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
like, say, a politician like Kevin Falcon?

How long have you kept that sig, anyway...
Your the second person that nagged me about my sig! As I mentioned before, I'll change it as soon as I think of something...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 1:04 AM
HA

COV doesn't have a government. It is ruled by nothing but a radical treehugging bike lobby that is hell bent on social (re)engineering and waging wars on anything that promotes economic growth and jobs (this includes cars, mainstream businesses, efficiency etc).

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 6:29 AM

Lol someone's opinion is quite clear. Don't disagree but just find it funny.

What was said above, most people against Vision are of that mentality as has been pointed out, that you have a government that has decided that X will happen and nobody has any say, even other councilors outside their party.

I think that happens to a degree in every city, but when you combine that with some absolutely questionable priorities, it starts to tick some people off. Not all though as let's face it, they were voted in last election AGAIN.

It's kind of like how people under George W. Bush in the US used to say "All of America hates him!" after he was re-elected. I just shrugged and always said "Well no half-1 don't like him because um... you re-elected him."

Vision same deal. If they get re-elected next year then really I think nobody in Vancouver has a leg to stand on, the city clearly has spoken and they like what the party is doing...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
Vision same deal. If they get re-elected next year then really I think nobody in Vancouver has a leg to stand on, the city clearly has spoken and they like what the party is doing...
I think you'll notice a lot of the people who are outraged are the ones outside the COV boundaries. They have half a point since they are indirectly impacted by what happens in Vancouver.

For the record I live in Vancouver, I'm not overly upset with Vision, but some things they do piss me off (viaducts). But as far as bike lanes and green things go, they certainly did that all first term, and ran on doing more, so it's not like they are doing things they didn't talk about during the election campaign, which is far far worse IMHO.

What's the alternative? We merge the metro region into one and get Rob Ford 2? ugh...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
What's the alternative? We merge the metro region into one and get Rob Ford 2? ugh...
Only if we get video of our mayor smoking crack with Somali drug dealers too!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 5:37 PM

I just believe that the voters in Vancouver, and in civic elections in general are just absolutely apathetic so the status quo is good enough. That of course brings a problem where a good number of the voters turning out are the fringe groups (cycling lobby, poverty advocates, left wing etc) and considering the opposite to the groups that do turn out are not overly strong. I also think that the people that do end up getting the short end of the stick are groups such as small business owners and in reality how many of those people physically live in Vancouver? It's in those situations that I can see a benefit to having a super city type setup like in NYC where you elect the mayor plus the burrow representatives. That makes the major decisions that in reality have effect on more than just the city itself be accountable to the region/city at large instead of just the small population that lives in the confines of the area.

A decision such as the viaducts will have resounding effects on people outside of Vancouver and that's where I believe Vision has truly failed as a whole. They have essentially ignored the groups that live more than 5km outside of the downtown core and utilize or access the downtown core 5+ days a week. The major urban centre of a region must take into account the entire region when they make any sort of decisions because simply put the surrounding areas are all stakeholders in those and will feel the effects of those decisions.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics