HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
^ that doesn't sound right. Cirque was part of the closing ceremonies at torino so i can't see why it would be a problem.

from the article I posted above -

"VANOC's contribution to the closing ceremony of the Torino 2006 Winter Olympics was widely considered a flop. Cirque du Soleil, along with many other Canadian artists, was involved in that production."

He said he was disappointed that Cirque had withdrawn from consideration, but understood its reasons."

anyway, it's not like we can't have acrobatics in the show. it just won't be "cirque" acrobats. no biggie imo.
the radio came in with an update and said that the IOC was never involved that the Ciqrque was trying to make it look like it was an IOC thing

radio = 1410talk.... they were talking about it earlier

people were pissed to say the least

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 1:25 AM

I, for one, am quite happy that a group that has nothing to do with BC will not be performing during the opening ceremonies. Frankly, I find them quite creepy and not very representative of BC or even the Olympics. There should be local talent to showcase what is unique about Vancouver and the region...everyone in the world has probably seen these guys one time or another.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
I, for one, am quite happy that a group that has nothing to do with BC will not be performing during the opening ceremonies. Frankly, I find them quite creepy and not very representative of BC or even the Olympics. There should be local talent to showcase what is unique about Vancouver and the region...everyone in the world has probably seen these guys one time or another.
The ceremonies are suppose to represent the entire nation.....who do you suggest that we get from BC?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 1:30 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Definitely the guy that walks along broadway everyday singing opera. He's actually really good.
And a couple of the downtown panhandlers, they tell the best stories ever.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 2:17 AM
Registered Luser

And shopping carts. A couple hundred performers pushing shopping carts. Oh, and that lady that used to tell your fortune with her duck on Robson Street. She was great. They need her. Maybe she could light the torch.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 3:10 AM

haha i haven't seen her in ages

her duck would steal the show

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 3:16 AM

opera guy can really project his voice. i can hear him coming from a block or two away.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
The ceremonies are suppose to represent the entire nation.....who do you suggest that we get from BC?
And this is stated where? They are supposed to represent Olympic ideals, not postmodern contortionism.
Vanoc can figure that out...it's their job after all. It would probably include
first nations performers
local singers and talent
Opera guy if he is up for it

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 6:11 AM

I was watching the Global BC online report on the Cirque story.....it's amazing how easily they slap on "controversy" or "scandal" to everything.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 10:12 AM

The new 2010 website is up....it's pretty good, easy to navigate, and easy on the eyes. It's a whole lot better than the mess that the Beijing and Torino websites were 16 months out.

It could use more colour though, too much white space.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 6:13 PM

Looking back at the Torino closing production - you could see the Cirque influence - the stupid fisherman gazing around the audience - looking - looking - for what? There are usually these moments in Cirque shows that are suppposed to be interpretive (think clown with umbrella walking in circles) - but come across as boring. In a vast stadium, there has to be constant action.
If Cirque were given complete creative control - like they wanted - the ceremonies could have been a flop (in the name of "art").
VANOC can subcontract acrobatic performances during the ceremonies to Cirque.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 6:48 PM
Vancouver User

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
VANOC can subcontract acrobatic performances during the ceremonies to Cirque.
I think the point is that Cirque either wanted FULL control or NO involvement.

But there are certainly other acts that could do something just as good without the name behind them.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 12:00 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

David Atkins is in town and will be working tomorrow.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 8:51 AM
Dérive-r

Opening/Closing Ceremony Discussion

Thought a thread on this specific topic might generate some interesting discussion/speculation (on top of all the past speculation spread throughout various threads).

Here is a new related article to get things going:

Quote:
We’d love to tell you about the ceremonies, but, well, you know …
Details of opening and closing festivities are secret, but organizers vow they will make us proud

BY KEVIN GRIFFIN, CANWEST NEWS SERVICE
FEBRUARY 11, 2009

A year from today, about 3.5 billion people will be watching what’s going on in Vancouver.

Whether they’re at home staring at their flat screen TV, at the office in front of their desktop computer or in a restaurant sneaking a peek at their handheld, they’ll be looking at the opening ceremonies of the 2010 Winter Olympic Games in BC Place.

The estimated worldwide audience for the opening ceremonies will dwarf anything in this country’s history. It’ll surpass by far the numbers who watched the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary and the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal. In 1988, just 64 countries broadcast the Games; by Turin in 2006, the number had climbed to 200. And as a one-time event, there’s no saying ‘whoops, let’s try that again’.

These ceremonies have to deliver the kind of entertaining stories that satisfy both an international audience and a demanding Canadian one, too. Everyone at Vanoc realizes what’s at stake, says David Guscott, executive vice-president of celebrations and partnerships.

“We’ve struck out with the view of establishing Games that will resonate and make every Canadian proud,” he says. “For people beyond Canadian borders, we want them to be intrigued and curious and have a little better understanding of Canada and its story.

“I can tell you for those of us involved in it, that’s a daunting aspect. We don’t take lightly that responsibility.”

Vanoc has been working since last February to hone the vision for the ceremonies, says Guscott. Vanoc started with six symposiums with the country’s leading artists, performers, choreographers and cultural producers. The process was directed by David Atkins, the Australian entertainer and producer who was instrumental in creating the spectacular show for the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney. Atkins’ company was hired to produce the 2010 opening and closing ceremonies.

Some parts of the ceremonies are far from secret, mandated as they are by the International Olympic Committee. These elements include the entry of athletes, the raising of the Olympic flag and the lighting of the Olympic cauldron.

As for anything else — or anything more specific — Guscott was mum about details.

“You won’t get anything about the content of the ceremonies,” he says.

“What we want to do is to have people on the edge of their seats and watching what’s happening. We don’t want anyone to know who or what is involved, so they can be amazed as things unfold.”

But a concept has been developed, Guscott says, and Atkins and the ceremonies team will move into their “operational phase” during the next six months.

If past opening ceremonies are any indication, the 2010 show will include a cast of thousands, movie stars, pop singers and spectacular special effects.

Guscott predicts the $38-million opening and closing ceremonies will have a huge national impact.

It’s a time when we can get Canadians thinking about and feeling proud of their country and proud of their locale in a way that hardly ever comes up,” he says. “What we do here is partly a sporting event, but it’s also an entertainment piece and a TV show.”

For the first time in Olympic history, both the opening and closing ceremonies will be held indoors.

On the positive side, that means the weather won’t play havoc with any plans for the show, Guscott says.

As well, indoor opening ceremonies in BC Place mean more athletes likely will attend. At previous Games, some athletes competing during the first few days of the Winter Games avoided the opening ceremonies because they were worried about getting sick from spending hours outdoors in sub-zero weather. Unlike the Summer Games, each athlete will have a seat inside BC Place to watch the opening ceremonies.

On a not-quite-so-positive note, hosting the Games indoors presents one big challenge to Vanoc: how to light the Olympic cauldron indoors. Guscott says we should be prepared for a surprise.

“The way we’re going to handle the elements I can’t talk to you about because it would give it away,” he says.

As for who will light the Olympic cauldron and how that person will be selected, well, that’s also under wraps.

“That will be one of the biggest surprises,” says Guscott.

“Our objective is for people to say, ‘Oh yeah, what a great choice.’ We have so many possibilities. We’ll be choosing among a very, very rich and deep field.”

© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service
Source: KEVIN GRIFFIN, CANWEST NEWS SERVICE

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 8:59 AM

My guess for final torch bearer is Wayne Gretzky.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 3:53 PM

I wouldn't complain.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2009, 4:27 PM
BANNED

if anyone hears ANYTHING about ceremony like rehersal or something at the venue... post it or send me a PM and...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 2:32 AM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

NEWS RELEASE!

Some artists are metioned in the 24hrs as the possible performer at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics!!Read LAST PARAGRAPH􀁏(left hand side on page 6) 􀁘

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/PDF/2008/05/01/20090212.pdf

The article is on Page 6

(Sorry that I can't copy the text on the PDF file)

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
NEWS RELEASE!

Some artists are metioned in the 24hrs as the possible performer at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics!!Read LAST PARAGRAPH􀁏(left hand side on page 6) 􀁘

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/PDF/2008/05/01/20090212.pdf

The article is on Page 6

(Sorry that I can't copy the text on the PDF file)
No surprise....I fully expect Bryan Adams, Sarah Mclachlan, Diana Krall, and many others to be here....nearly every major Canadian artist will be here.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
nearly every major Canadian artist will be here.
Really?! All 8 of them?!?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]