HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 2:48 PM

Ha! I saw this and thought, "I have to say something" then saw that Yume was wondering if I would.

I like Five Guys. I'm not sure I'd call them my favorite burgers ever, but they are quite good. I hope they carry the same quality up here.

I'm not a big fan of their fries actually, but the burgers are tasty. Basic burgers with basic toppings made fresh with good beef.

I like the pic with the article. It's the same five brothers I used to go to in downtown dc . I don't want to get my or yume's hopes up, but the old s'il vous plait site would be about the right size for them. That would be cool, a nice use for that corner space. I'm guessing that denman might be more their speed though, although they seem to choose a variety of locations. Around DC, they were in some very suburban mall shops as well as in the heart of various hoods in more historic downtown areas. So it's a bit hard to speculate. I could picture them a variety of places, though they'll probably start downtown somewhere.

Old Posted May 30, 2010, 11:24 PM

been twice now - the second time was better - i ordered a little burger which is much eeasier to eat than a regular one and the fries are great - the cajun fries are good but way too spicy

Old Posted May 31, 2010, 12:26 AM
Registered Loser

sooooo have they opened a location yet or not? it was supposed to be before the olympics, which have clearly passed. their site says there's a location in park royal, but i called the phone number to double check and it doesn't exist :S

Old Posted May 31, 2010, 12:33 AM

There is one in West Vancouver on Esplanade Ave according to their website

Old Posted May 31, 2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touraccuracy View Post
sooooo have they opened a location yet or not? it was supposed to be before the olympics, which have clearly passed. their site says there's a location in park royal, but i called the phone number to double check and it doesn't exist :S
didn't read this til after. What a shame. Surrey was supposed to get a Carls Jr. I wonder if that ever happened.

Old Posted May 31, 2010, 12:35 AM

The one in West Van has been open for a while - just after the Olympics I believe. Been there once.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/15145...dian-Reserve-5

No Carl's Jr yet though. It ended up becoming an A&W instead.

Old Posted May 31, 2010, 1:13 AM

been to the one in park royal twice so yes its open

as for carls jr i wonder the surrey location never happenned opened as an A&W instead

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 8:50 AM
BANNED

I'm not a fan of Carls Jr. Went to the one in Spokane and didn't like it. Their burgers are average at best.

Now Jack In The Box on the other hand is pure crack cocaine. They need to expand into BC

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 8:36 PM
Registered Loser

went to five guys last night for dinner:
-really really good burger
-the cajun fries suck
-the regular fries are pretty good
-they give you an amazing amount of fries for just the regular size, no need to get the larger size, one regular size is enough for two people
-they're a little full of themselves with the decor being made entirely of quotes praising their restaurant
-the free peanuts are awesome

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 10:11 PM

I really want to try this place.
Hopefully they open a downtown location soon!

I actually really enjoyed Jack in the Box too in LA. But nothing beats In and Out Burger........ZOMG

Old Posted Jun 2, 2010, 10:31 PM

this place beats in n out i think so and most peopel i know prefer it over in n out

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
this place beats in n out i think so and most peopel i know prefer it over in n out
Yeah but you can't beat the price at In And Out....Can't wait for LA in July! Animal Burger is awesome!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 3:37 AM

As a burger snob myself, In 'N Out is terrible

Though I did see two fat ladies fight over the last ketchup packet. So, that's something.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 3:58 AM
be nice to the crackheads

I'll make the trek to West Vancouver this summer to try it out. My wife, like Yume, is a bit of a burger snob and really wants to give Five Guys a go.

As for Carl's Jr., I think they ditched their Canadian expansion plans for now. The focus of the chain seems to be Asia, or more specifically, China. They opened the flagship restaurant in Shanghai last year with a bunch more opening up in 2010. The Jalepano burger is awesome.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 5:01 AM

OK, so I'm not really a burger snob, but it certainly is pretentious in American circles to say you've had better than In 'N Out.

My favorite burger chain is Freshness Burger in Japan. Oh my goodness it is sooooo good. And... Fresh.

But the BEST hamburger I've ever had is from the room service menu at the Park Hyatt Tokyo. Mouth watering~

Every Asian hotel I've ever stayed in has made an AWESOME hamburger, actually. It's kind of weird.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 5:26 AM
BANNED

The best burger you ever had was in Japan? You need to get out more.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmonlee View Post
The best burger you ever had was in Japan? You need to get out more.
Nope, I don't think so. Japanese people do non-Japanese food probably better than anyone else.

Sadly, I enjoy Canadian Japanese food more than Japanese Japanese food, though. I hate fish.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 5:38 AM
BANNED

I like this place

Lots of good burger places in the midwest

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 7:17 AM

When you've partied quite too much the night before in Portland, nothing better than Burgerville to get the day started (even if its after noon).

The early-60s one near the convention centre was knocked over & replaced with a modern building, but the burgers &tc are just like I remember.

Can't leave PDX without at least one Burgerville fix.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2010, 7:59 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Nope, I don't think so. Japanese people do non-Japanese food probably better than anyone else.

Sadly, I enjoy Canadian Japanese food more than Japanese Japanese food, though. I hate fish.
I don't hate fish, but I will say that Vancouver's Japanese scene has quite a few pleasant surprises. There are things like dynamite rolls and BC Rolls which can be fantastic and are an excellent addition to standard Japanese cuisine ( which tends to stay quite traditional ).

I'll agree the the Japanese tend to do well on foreign food. Their bakeries outFrench the French and have a penchant for continuously perfecting things and due to their traditional diet ( which could be considered bland by many western standards ), Japanese people generally have a more sensitive palate and can more easily detect subtle differences in taste. They tend to not oversaturate food with flavors... though they do tend to like more salty tastes.

Of course, anyone can over time be the same, ya just has to stop desensitizing yer taste buds by eatin' ketchup flavored potato chips.

That being said, isn't it ironic that MSG, the super-flavor chemical, was discovered in Japan ( in Seaweed, nonetheless ).

Oh... and to burger snobs, I was in Seattle last weekend and I tried the burger at China Kitchen ( Close to the Westin, around 5th and Pine I think? ). It was mouth-wateringly good. Have it with swiss cheese instead of blue... the blue overpowered the taste of the meat.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining