HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 6:28 PM

Even if the weather at sea level, or even on Cypress is overcast and drizzly, up at Whistler, it's often above the nimbo-stratus cloud line, and could easily be clear, or else have high thin clouds, which will let in sunshine. This is, as everybody knows, a region of micro-climates.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 6:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Very true. The number of events happening at Cypress really is limited.

This city is like a different place in the sun.
very true, i've had family come here in the midst of wet weather and wonder what all the fuss is about, they came again last spring, and everyone other word was either, breathtaking, amazing or incredible!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 7:33 PM
Mac User

Mr.X this thread is pointless you have been posting completely different weather forecasts. The forecast always changes day to day. We won't have a clear forecast for the opening ceremonies until at least Wednesday. The 14 day trend is always just a guess based on historical data and the current weather. A safe bet for Vancouver is rain, but February is usually dry.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 7:36 PM

Please don't tell me that this is the pineapple express...and the worst of it will be on Friday?!!!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
Please don't tell me that this is the pineapple express...and the worst of it will be on Friday?!!!
Maybe that will drown out the protesters. Though, I'd prefer them stand out in the rain to get rid of that smell.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 7:53 PM

hey everyone,

your best source for accurate weather forecasts is the national weather service in the US. here's the link for the point roberts forecast:

point roberts weather

for those very weather inclined (like myself), there's a forecast discussion at the bottom. if you don't understand the mumbo jumbo, the forecast calls for stronger storms towards the end of this week + weekend, with clearing skies towards monday.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 8:24 PM

In addition to making Vancouver look nice...sunny days are good since it means lower temperatures at night and snow making machines can be used for a good number of hours.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Maybe that will drown out the protesters. Though, I'd prefer them stand out in the rain to get rid of that smell.
Heh, yes, that would be sweet. A downpour out there for those clowns while everyone is enjoying the INDOOR opening ceremony.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 9:09 PM

My god. What a bunch of worriers. Rain in February? You don't say!...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 10:14 PM
Reason and Freedom

What kind of bums you out is when you look at photographs of the North Shore Mountains this time of year in years past.

For example, this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/iocmedi...7623247746303/

And this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/iocmedi...7623247746303/

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 10:24 PM

have y'all seen sochi?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 11:07 PM

As soon as the Cypress events are done & medals handed out, this will be a forgotten story.

Who remembers the Calgary 1988 Olympics when the chinooks and dust problems caused the bobsled event to be canceled & rescheduled for the next day?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 11:48 PM
Reason and Freedom

Well, in the here-and-now, while the Olympics are actually occuring and appearing on TV and we are trying to savour the actual moment, it's a bit of a downer and disappointing situation.

Once it was comfirmed (last spring) that this winter would be an El Nino year, then rational heads should have prevailed and all ski venues moved to Whistler, you know, North America's premiere ski resort where all the other ski venues are taking place and where the snow is 33 feet deep.

Holding events on Cypress was a risk at best which ceased to make any sense once El Nino was officially forcasted a year before.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2010, 11:49 PM

Well, snowboarding isn't even like, a real sport If you ask skiers, anyways!

My Dad used to ski competitively before getting in a plane crash, then a car crash, and then falling off a mountain.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 12:11 AM
Reason and Freedom

Potentially exacerbating the embarrasment that Cypress's lack of snow is causing is the fact that the events being held there (freestyle skiing and snowboarding) are considered to be high-profile, sensational, hip events. Unlike curling, millions of people around the world are waiting breathlessly to watch these particular events, and the visuals that greet them may not be that pretty.

It's sad because it did not have to be this way.

That said, my fingers are crossed and I am still hoping, forecasts notwithstanding, that on the day of the events, the courses will not look that bad and it will be gloriously sunny.

Last edited by Prometheus; Feb 9, 2010 at 12:25 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 12:46 AM

Its sad I know, but this whole weather problem has been adding to my life a lot of unnecessary stress. The main reason why? Because what other's have said already, when the sun is out and the mountains are clearly visible, it doesn't matter if your a tourist or have been living here your entire life, the city, mountains and views are breathtaking. It would be amazing to finally show it off to the world.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 5:35 AM
Reason and Freedom

Well here is some good news: Although it is not snowing, the temperature on Cypress is -2 tonight. This is the first time in about a week that the temperature (day or night) has been less than +1.

Let's hope they have an army of snowmaking machines at the ready, because you got to make hay while the sun is shining.

Last edited by Prometheus; Feb 9, 2010 at 6:14 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 6:06 AM

from the National Weather Service for Western Washington

.LONG TERM...FROM PREVIOUS DISCUSSION...ONCE THE SYSTEM PASSES
THURSDAY...THE DOOR APPEARS OPEN FOR MORE SYSTEMS. THE PATTERN
BECOMES ACTIVE WITH STORMS MOVING MAINLY INTO BRITISH COLUMBIA BUT ALSO BRUSHING WASHINGTON. THE GFS AND EURO ARE IN BROAD AGREEMENT ABOUT THE CHANGE TO MORE VIGOROUS WEATHER. SUNDAY LOOKS PRETTY WET IN THE GFS...ENOUGH TO MAKE RIVERS ON THE OLYMPIC PENINSULA RESPOND. MONDAY COULD BE COOLER AND MORE SHOWERY. HAVE BROAD BRUSHED THE FORECAST WITH LIKELY POPS FRIDAY THROUGH MONDAY. THERE WILL BE SOME DRIER PERIODS DURING THAT TIME AND HAVE USED RAIN LIKELY AT TIMES WORDING. THE SNOW LEVEL WILL BOUNCE AROUND BETWEEN 3000 AND 5000 FEET...FINISHING THE WEEKEND AT THE LOWER END.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Let's hope they have an army of snowmaking machines at the ready, because you got to make hay while the sun is shining.
And make snow while the sun is, uhhhh, hiding?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2010, 4:42 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Well, snowboarding isn't even like, a real sport If you ask skiers, anyways!

My Dad used to ski competitively before getting in a plane crash, then a car crash, and then falling off a mountain.
Thank goodness he survived all that, otherwise you might be one of those poor people you disdain so much.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]