HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 5:52 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! I'm in love ... what a stellar project for this part of town!

thx for the pics!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 12:38 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Excellent!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 2:36 PM

I think it looks like a piece of shit! the only thing I like about it is the idustrial space in the podium, Id love to see more of that

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 5:08 PM
scared of rain

That's a bit of a strong reaction. I guess that means its good, or at least different. The biggest complaint people have is that our architecture is too boring. If you are going to push boundaries you are not going to make everyone happy.

This actually makes me really happy. I like how they are mimicking the containers and the ports industrial feel, while not being too literal about it.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 5:14 PM

strong reaction, really? thats nothing I thought Hollywoodnorth being in love with it was a strong reaction lol

you're right it is different which is good .... the models/pictures just didnt do anything for me, looks oddly disjointed

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 6:12 PM
David

Amazing! This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that should be going up in that area. It is very exciting to be witnessing the eastward expansion of downtown already

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 6:32 PM
scared of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
strong reaction, really? thats nothing I thought Hollywoodnorth being in love with it was a strong reaction lol
Touché.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 7:14 PM

Wow looks great and appropriate for the area... it seems like architecture in Vancouver has gone up a notch lately.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 10:53 PM

Looks a bit too haphazard for me (really just the colour blocking)

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 4:38 AM

looks good - i saw it on my small phone screen and it sort of looked like stacked containers

nice to see that area picking up some developments

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
looks good - i saw it on my small phone screen and it sort of looked like stacked containers

nice to see that area picking up some developments
I thought it looks like stacked containers too. The glass front contrasts quite starkly with the red-toned walls.

It's nice to see mid-sized developments outside of the downtown core.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 11:18 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

I have to say I can't wait to see this one going up in my neighbourhood.

For those of you who don't think that this fits in with the rest of the neighbourhood, I'd invite you to come down and take a walk around. Strathcona and the DTES is the most mix-mashy neighbourhood in Vancouver easily. Many of the buildings around here predate zoning in Vancouver, so most blocks are a very odd mix.

This will fit in just fine in no time whatsoever. It's pretty big, but Ray-Cam stands also out like a sore thumb around here and has all the architectural style of a North Korean knockoff of a Soviet tower block. This will at least give some massing to the Hastings streetscape and make up for the misguided attempt at a city in the park across the street.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2012, 3:06 PM

I quite like it. Very interesting and respectful of the existing neighbourhood.

I'm very excited to see the next 5-10 years of mid-rise density spread out through the city, particularly the east side.

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 7:54 AM

The address is now listed as 933 E Hastings according to the UDP minutes.

The altered design cleaves off the northeast corner to allow for a future Raymur Ave right of way.

Old design behind...

New eastern facade

Old eastern facade

Side by side

Alley looking east

Colour Palette

Hastings to alley connection

pix by Built Form

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 8:36 AM
See ya down under, mates

Hmm I don't remember containers having angles like that.

Why is Raymur ave changing?

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 8:41 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

website is >> http://900hastings.com/

WALL CENTRE 900 HASTINGS

Proudly Strathcona
from $249,900

15 Floors of Views
Sales Start Spring 2014

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 2:46 PM

^I guess 'East' is a dirty word for marketing purposes...

Old Posted May 15, 2013, 3:29 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Hmm I don't remember containers having angles like that.

Why is Raymur ave changing?
Containers are made of corrugated steel. That's what I think they're going for with the angles.

I'd assume Raymur is changing to go around the new railway overpass.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 6:40 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I've changed the title to 933 from 955 E Hastings. Here are the minutes from the UDP on the updated redesign.

Quote:
EVALUATION: SUPPORT (6-0)
• Introduction: Anita Molaro, Development Planner, introduced the proposal for a development permit application following a rezoning. The site is along East Hasting Street at the corner of Raymur Avenue. Ms. Molaro described the context for the area noting the manufacturing zone to the north. The site was rezoned in 2012 and increased the density from 5 to 6.5 FSR and the height. The project consists of both market and non-market residential in three towers and a podium expression. On the ground there are two levels facings the lane and one level facing the street with a new use called PDR (Production Distribution and Repair). This builds on the manufacturing and smaller business type format to encourage those kinds of uses. There is also a limited amount of office and retail uses that are permitted to allow of a variety of uses on the ground floor. Ms. Molaro noted that the sustainability requirement is that it has to meet LEED™ Silver. As well she mentioned that there are some changes to the building design since the rezoning review including a ten meter setback and dedication along the rail corridor and road connection.

Advice from the Panel on this application is sought on the following:

Does the Panel support the detailed urban design response developed for this site:
•Response to the rezoning conditions:
- Improve and enhance the DPR plaza and its pedestrian connection to the lower level PDR uses and lane;
- Refinement of the architectural details of the façade to fully demonstrate the design intent of its robust industrial character references and materials.
• Detailed open space and landscape treatments.
• LEED™ Silver strategies (based on time of rezoning application).
• Redistribution of building massing and resolution of northwest corner in response to the rail corridor/street alignment dedication.
• Public realm interface of the various facades: Hastings Street, Raymur Avenue and the lane.

Ms. Molaro took questions from the Panel.

• Applicant’s Introductory Comments: Stu Lyon, Architect, made some general comments to the project noting there will be three primary users groups. This includes market housing, non-market housing and PDR spaces. He said they wanted to fully integrate the 70 nonmarket units into the project and as well they combined one of the residential towers with the non-market units which will make for a seamless approach between the market and non-market units. He explained that on the PDR side there is an opportunity on the lane to introduce this light industrial use. They wanted to engage these units as much as possible with the public realm. All the street facing spaces have big fold up doors and also through the center of the project is an open public passage way.

Daniel Eisenberg, Architect, described the changes to the project since the rezoning. The current configuration reflects the new realignment with Raymur Avenue along the rail corridor. They relocated the density that resulted in a portion of the building being cut away into the tower on the west in the form of one additional storey and an increase to the residential floor plates. They also lowered the podium by one storey allowing for more daylighting into the plaza. Mr. Eisenberg explained Council’s recommendation to integrate different uses. As a result they have created a common lobby and opened the outdoor amenity space on the north side to both market and non-market residents. He noted that from a sustainable point of view they have limited the size of the openings and the amount of exposed slab edges. The balconies on the south façade provide shading during summer and they have incorporated insulated spandrel glass panel. The east and west walls are punched windows within a metal cladded window assembly.

Bruce Hemstock, Landscape Architect, described the landscaping plans noting the East Hastings Street entry plaza that has been kept unobstructed since the freight elevators will be used to move pieces in and out of the building. He said he wanted to pick up on the light industrial character. The mixed courtyard space will have urban agriculture, a play area, seating areas and overhead trellis. It is a place for residents to mix. As well there is a common area space for the market housing units on level seven that will provide urban agriculture, play areas and seating areas. Mr. Hemstock added that there are also green
roofs.

The applicant team took questions from the Panel.

• Panel’s Consensus on Key Aspects Needing Improvement:
• Consider more landscaping elements in the plaza space;
• Consider adding a public art piece to the project;
• Consider adding solar panels to improve the sustainability strategy.
• Related Commentary: The Panel supported the proposal and thought it was an improvement since the rezoning submission.

The Panel thought the proposal was an adventuresome piece of architecture and thought the pedestrian connection through the site had been improved. As well they noted that the applicant had gone a long way to address the Panel’s previous comments. The Panel liked the refinements to the massing and thought it gave emphasis to the modulated heights of the towers. A couple of Panel members would like to see more development to the chamfered elements. One Panel member thought there could be more playfulness in the design at the corners. As well, one Panel member suggested cantilevering over the podium.
The Panel agreed that the amenity spaces were well defined. Although the Panel said they understood the desire to keep a clean industrial look to the design they felt the plaza needed some landscaping. As well they thought there needed to be more effort and greenery in the landscaping. One Panel member suggested adding one or two trees in the plaza to give some shade and shadow to the space.
It was suggested that public art should be incorporated into the project with one Panel suggesting placing it in the plaza to make an interesting place for people to want to explore.
Regarding the sustainability strategy, it was suggested that solar panels could be used for preheating water.

• Applicant’s Response: Mr. Lyon thanked the Panel for their comments.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2013, 7:21 PM

Presentation centre will be at the former boss nightclub on Richards.
Could it be any further from the actual site??

pix by Built Form

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver