HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 9:04 PM
New Yorker for life

From the video...(better preliminary render)

http://vimeo.com/114315126

Enlarged this view...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 9:13 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

A little inflated when it comes to the advertising. Must of not got the memo on the other residents that will make this one look like a flaccid tower.

Its tall, but eh, in 5 years, it will be average.

"281 Fifth Avenue will be one of the average residential towers in New York City".

Much better.

Its a good thing that we can call 900 feet average in time due. Not many cities can say that. Similar to how 600 feet is just tiny.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 9:34 PM

Now I'm super confused! This is two different developments??

The render shown in NYGuy's post isn't bad. Reminds me of 432 Park, which turned out excellent. The other ungodly stuff...

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 9:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post

You're only confused by the render below, which is of a different site...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post

The render shown in NYGuy's post isn't bad. Reminds me of 432 Park, which turned out excellent. The other ungodly stuff...
This will be shorter and looks like all glass. From the preliminary renderings it looks much more banal than 432 Park, no easy task to pull off. Like 432 park, this building is more engineering than architecture.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 4:04 AM
New Yorker for life

I remember documenting the rise of the nearly 600 ft Sky House on this site, it was pretty tall for the area.

Now it will be dwarfed by two new neighbors. This one appears headed for the 900 ft and up club, while nearby 15 East 30th will rise to at least 825 ft.

I should also point out that there's a parking lot directly south of the Empire State shown in the 4th pic (between 28th and 29th) that I hoped would remain just
that for a little while longer because of the perfect view of the Empire State. That's not happening, as there is site prep there as well for some development, likely a residential tower.

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 23, 2014 at 4:29 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 4:40 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I should also point out that there's a parking lot directly south of the Empire State shown in the 4th pic (between 28th and 29th) that I hoped would remain just
that for a little while longer because of the perfect view of the Empire State. That's not happening, as there is site prep there as well for some development, likely a residential tower.

On closer examination, the tower rendered here appears to be on the site of my "lost" lot...someone will get to the bottom of it.

I've marked the site in red to show relative location to the other developments...

Or maybe its just more parking, who knows. I'll have to go by the site.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Jo...ssdocnumber=01

Quote:
APPLICATION IS FILED FOR NEW ASPHALT PAVING AND NEW__SLAB FOR PARKING LOT AS S HOWN ON PLANS FILED HEREWITH.

Quote:
SIX FOOT CONSTRUCTION FENCE AS PER PLANS FILED HEREWITH. NO CHANGE TO USE, EGRESS, OR OCCUPANCY.

Last edited by NYguy; Dec 23, 2014 at 4:54 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 5:12 AM

how about the bankroft building site, it is just one block to the north from the parking lot you pointed out and the "mystery" building seems to be next to the church. I know we got some rendering the other day for the Bankroft site but it was for illustrative purposes only just like this one. Maybe whoever rendered it was a bit sloppy and "misplaced" it and that's why it appears to be between 28 and 29 streets

Last edited by sparkling; Dec 23, 2014 at 5:37 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 5:39 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkling View Post
how about the bankroft building site, it is just one block to the north from the parking lot you pointed out and the "mystery" building seems to be next to the church. I know we got some rendering the other day for the Bankroft site but it was for illustrative purposes only just like this one. Maybe whoever rendered it was a bit sloppy and "misplaced" it and that's why it appears to be between 28 and 29 streets
Could be, though that's a site directly north of the parking lot. Lots of development going on around Manhattan these days, you never know what will rise where. That building appears to be still standing in both renders.

__
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2014/12/...nomad-project/

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 11:41 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

281fifth:

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 3:28 PM
Show me the blueprints

I'm glad 277 Fifth isn't part of the parcel. That's a very handsome little building.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 3:44 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The video also seems to foreshadow the trend of building near the ESB. We will probably see much more of this type around the area. Seems like its becoming popular with developers, and a good way to use the EB-5 program.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 1:16 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
The video also seems to foreshadow the trend of building near the ESB. We will probably see much more of this type around the area. Seems like its becoming popular with developers, and a good way to use the EB-5 program.

Not only that, but the small footprint required to build these towers - which can be built as of right - makes it that much easier to build up, as opposed to trying to assemble massive footprints for office towers, which generally need to be near transit.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 2:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
12/18/2014

FULL DEMOLITION OF THREE STORY STRUCTURE, USING HAND AND MECHANICAL MEANS.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 11:06 PM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2015/0...task_force.php

Scaffolding Up at Vinoly Site

February 19, 2015
by Jeremiah Budin

Quote:
A tipster sent us this photo of 281 Fifth Avenue, where developer Victor Homes is planning a 51-story condo tower designed by starchitect Rafael Vinoly (of 432 Park Avenue fame). Scaffolding is now up at the site, as as demolition permits for the existing building were approved back in December, it looks like this one is primed to get underway.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 1:45 AM

How many buildings are coming down for this? Three or four?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 2:26 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Looks like its 3, so 2 low rises at 5 floors a piece and 1, 3 story structure. These being on the corner site which was purchased. The scaffolding doesn't seem to extend to the red brick structure.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 2:27 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
How many buildings are coming down for this? Three or four?
At the most, I believe 3.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:13 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Lend Lease buys stake in planned $400M Fifth Avenue condo tower

Quote:
Construction firm Lend Lease, which has worked on building the city's tallest condo towers at One57 and 432 Park Ave., now owns a piece of a proposed condo project on Fifth Avenue.

The company has purchased a stake in a 750-foot spire planned at 281 Fifth Ave. on the corner of East 30th Street. It will co-develop the project with real estate investment firm Victor Group, which bought the development site earlier this year.

"We think the NoMad neighborhood is one of the most dynamic parts of the city, an intersection for the tech sector, food and nightlife, and everything that's happening in the midtown south market," said Melissa Burch, who joined Lend Lease at the beginning of the year from developer Forest City Ratner to lead the firm's investment business in the city.

Ms. Burch declined to disclose how much of an interest Lend Lease acquired in the roughly $400 million project, but said the company would have equal control with Victor Group over its development.

Victor Group has been in the process of raising money for the building through the EB-5 program, in which foreign investors can pour money into U.S. development deals in exchange for green cards. Ms. Burch said that money will essentially be used as a secondary construction loan for the tower, akin to mezzanine financing. Lend Lease and Victor Group would remain sole owners of the project. The pair is in the process of trying to secure a construction loan for the 140-unit building, on which they expect to break ground by the end of the year.

Ran Korolik, an executive vice president and partner at Victor Group, said the firm had hired Lend Lease in recent months to handle construction and that talks had progressed to have the company to take an ownership stake.
Lend Lease tapped Ms. Burch, a Crain's 40 Under 40, to help the company leverage its relationships with developers as a construction manager to find opportunities to invest in deals. The acquisition is the first under Ms. Burch, who added that Lend Lease also plans to develop projects on its own.
==============================
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...ue-condo-tower

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:50 PM

I hope we end up with a tower that looks nothing like those ugly renders. I think if anything should be built in Midtown south of the ESB it should be forced to undergo additional design scrutiny. The last thing we need is some ugly box like this block the ESB and photobombing everyone's skyline photos.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive