HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 11:51 PM

Vancouver General Discussion Thread

There are often small things that I feel like asking or commenting on this forum, but I don't want to be creating a new thread everytime. I think it is just proper for us to have our very own Skybar / general discussion thread where some off-topic discussion can take place.

I haven't seen any such thread existing during my 3 years in here, so let me be the one kick-starting one.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 11:56 PM

First topic coming to mind is the hilarious discussion on Canada forum. I guess it all started from several Vancouverites thinking that a new Toronto waterfront development looks very much like many developments in Vancouver, namely Olympic Village.

Many people got clearly upset when I said that Toronto seems to be taking cue from Vancouver, which has been very succesfull in this kind of development.

I often times get the feeling that we Vancouverites are not allowed to be proud of our city or at least publicly show it. It is very similar how in Germany it has been a kind of a taboo to be proud of one's own country due to history that took place 70 years ago. Only recently Germans have opened up about it and relaxed, namely after the 2006 Soccer World Cup in Germany, but will Vancouverites have to wait another 70 years as well?

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 12:39 AM

Haha I think its tall poppy syndrome. We're only 4th in tallest tower and most head offices, but we're the best at some things. But yes if you state which categories we're best at in the national section its like kicking a wasp nest. Vancouver and BC is not allowed to be the best at anything it seems.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 1:06 AM

Oh, I hear you.

Talking about tallest, has anyone noticed anything different in Wikipedia?

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 1:13 AM

Klazu I think you should put together a photo collection of Vancouver and make a thread in the My City Photos section of SSP. It has been a while since a good Vancouver thread!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 1:53 AM

I am losing my mind with Rogers. I used to be on a company plan, but changed the plan to a personal plan last week. On the phone I was very clear about wanting the cheapest possible plan with no data, but the agent kept telling me that "they all come with data" and the cheapest being $70/month. I wasn't in front of a computer and didn't doubt her knowledge, so I agreed to it. Later on I checked their website and noticed that they have call & text plans starting from $35/month. $70/month is actually their second most expensive plan and there are even data plans much cheaper than that!

I called them again and my plan is now the one with $35/month, but I will have pay the first month's invoice that they already sent me "because I agreed to the price". I feel cheated having been completely mislead by their agent and I would like to file a complaint out of principle. How should I go about it? Am I able to complain to BBB or is that a tedious process to no avail?

Funny enough, on the same call I made it perfectly clear for several time that I will be needing a micro SIM card to be sent to me, as I my company phone only took normal SIM cards that don't fit in my own smart phone. "Yes, yes, we will send you one" the agent told me and what did they send me: a normal size SIM card. I called them again and the agent told me that "No, we never send out micro or nano SIM cards over mail". I found that very strange and told him that, but he told me to go to a store to have a micro SIM card handed to me.

So I went, but the store told me they will have to charge me $11.20 for it. I was told to call Rogers once again, so that they could give me credit for that amount towards my next invoice. Well the first agent didn't know anything about it and didn't think it was even possible.

FINALLY I was put through to someone who knew exactly what he was doing. He put me on the cheapest plan, gave me the credit for the micro SIM card and told me that "of course we send out SIM cards in all sizes".

One has to wonder what is the level of training these Call Center monkeys get to not know jack about the business they are working for??? This is ridiculous and similar to some of those Comcast stories. Not a great experience and I hope to be only few months on Rogers.

I know this is nothing new, but just so damn frustrating...

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 2:32 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Klazu: https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/

As someone that works at a telecom that shall remain nameless... believe me if you fully flesh out a complaint there with all the details (when you called, day, everything) then it'll be very seriously looked into.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I am losing my mind with Rogers. I used to be on a company plan, but changed the plan to a personal plan last week. On the phone I was very clear about wanting the cheapest possible plan with no data, but the agent kept telling me that "they all come with data" and the cheapest being $70/month. I wasn't in front of a computer and didn't doubt her knowledge, so I agreed to it. Later on I checked their website and noticed that they have call & text plans starting from $35/month. $70/month is actually their second most expensive plan and there are even data plans much cheaper than that!

I called them again and my plan is now the one with $35/month, but I will have pay the first month's invoice that they already sent me "because I agreed to the price". I feel cheated having been completely mislead by their agent and I would like to file a complaint out of principle. How should I go about it? Am I able to complain to BBB or is that a tedious process to no avail?
If you're not bound to Rogers by contract (because of a subsidized phone), call them up and tell them you are going to cancel your service. They will transfer you to a "retentions" advisor whose job is basically to give you want you want to keep your account active. Tell them your story and what you think would be fair and they might give it to you.

FYI, Public Mobile has a $35 unlimited Canada-wide talk plan (no data), which should be a much better deal than Rogers.

Quote:
Funny enough, on the same call I made it perfectly clear for several time that I will be needing a micro SIM card to be sent to me, as I my company phone only took normal SIM cards that don't fit in my own smart phone. "Yes, yes, we will send you one" the agent told me and what did they send me: a normal size SIM card. I called them again and the agent told me that "No, we never send out micro or nano SIM cards over mail". I found that very strange and told him that, but he told me to go to a store to have a micro SIM card handed to me.
One thing you can do is cut your SIM down to size. Google "micro sim template" and you can just use scissors. The size difference is just plastic.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 5:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Do you frequently use the phone outside of Metro Vancouver? If not, then CHATR is an alternative with high quality and a great price.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st7860 View Post
Do you frequently use the phone outside of Metro Vancouver? If not, then CHATR is an alternative with high quality and a great price.
Chatr is owned by Rogers, so not a great choice if you're angry at Rogers.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 1:52 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Talking about tallest, has anyone noticed anything different in Wikipedia?
The MNP Tower is No. 6 on the list ?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
The MNP Tower is No. 6 on the list ?
True, but that is not what I am hinting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Klazu: https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/

As someone that works at a telecom that shall remain nameless... believe me if you fully flesh out a complaint there with all the details (when you called, day, everything) then it'll be very seriously looked into.
Thanks for the tips, guys! I have cooled down a bit (if that is possible in this heat) and will see if I want to go through that trouble. Perhaps I will, as the whole case was so absurd.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 2:39 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
True, but that is not what I am hinting...
No, that's all I noticed, but whoever took the photos sure did a good job !

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 4:47 AM

Nice work Klazu! Those are a huge improvement.
The skyline pic at the top of this wiki article is from 2007 and could also use an update... just sayin'

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post
Nice work Klazu! Those are a huge improvement.
Haha, finally! I started this work already two weeks ago and have so far spent around 25 hours updating this Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_in_Vancouver

My goal is to update and add every building on that page with high-quality version and not too many are missing anymore. I should have it all ready during next week.

After that I might go on to update other Vancouver pages on Wikipedia with some more up-to-date photography. I am only updating photos, so some other kind sould will have to make sure the data on those pages is up-to-date. But yeah, you are welcome Vancouver!

Wikipedia is a global top5 website and Vancouver pages likely have millions of page views annually. I am happy to provide those people with some nice views of our beautiful city. Stay tuned.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 8:19 PM

Has it ever been considered to open a public viewpoint and a cafe on top of Vancouver City Hall? The view from up there would be amazing and it would be conveniently located next to a Skytrain station for tourists to check out. The view from top of Queen Elizabeth Park is not the same as it would be from city hall.

It would also be interesting to have a chance to have tours of this beautiful building.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 4:31 AM

I am thinking of doing the Grouse Grind tomorrow for the very first time. I remember them starting to charge for parking. Is that the case also during summer time?

The downhill gondola seems to be $10.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 7:26 AM

Quote:
I am thinking of doing the Grouse Grind tomorrow for the very first time. I remember them starting to charge for parking. Is that the case also during summer time?

The downhill gondola seems to be $10.
They started charging $2 for 3-hour parking at the Grouse Grind parking lots last year. If you're lucky you could still find a free space on the street. Downhill gondola is still $10.

Have fun and please hydrate. It's quite warm. The last time I was on, a few days ago, someone got a heart attack and died just ahead of me.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 3:59 PM

Wow it's only 10to go down the gondola? I thought it had increased to 20

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 8:18 PM

It's ridiculous that they charge for the parking as anyone going to Grouse will be paying them money, if nothing else, then for the downhill ride (which is $10).

So I did the Grind today. Have to say that they are not kidding it being strenuous exercise! I can easily see people that are not in shape having a heart attach there as I was almost dead once up.

My time was a very average 1:33 as I had my camera with me and had to take lots of breaks. I cannot say that I feel any need to return to the Grind anytime soon after having now done it. It is pure exercise and not a hike.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion