HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 12:07 AM
See ya down under, mates

Internet speeds?

Just wondering how the average Vancouverite is doing on internet speeds. I was paying for Shaw "warp" and it was stuttering on HD youtubes so I got a new modem and it dropped even more to sub-10Mbps. So they did a service call, gave me "Internet 60" and now I get this:

Very happy, hope I am understanding the bill properly though.

You can test your own at www.speedtest.net.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 2:47 AM

Very nice! My download speed's not quite as fast but still perfectly fine for my needs.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 2:57 AM

This is what 80$ of telus service gets me.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 4:42 AM

I'm on Novus 50/10. Nice ping.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 4:55 AM

CIK Telecom 30/5 - $39/month - runs on Shaw's network

Ron.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 5:00 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I'm on Novus 50/10. Nice ping.

Yeah not sure what happened on my first test, ping is consistently 1ms now.

Speedtest.net seems to value upload speed a lot in its letter grade.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 5:16 AM

The letter grade could be linked to the provider itself.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 5:24 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Womp womp. Telus $80/month noted above. Can't wait for Telus Fibre, which is supposedly much faster and the same price.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 5:51 PM

Could be MUCH worse

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 6:06 PM

With TELUS Internet 50. $80 a month.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 6:17 PM

I closed all my tabs and retried and the result is improved.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
Womp womp. Telus $80/month noted above. Can't wait for Telus Fibre, which is supposedly much faster and the same price.

Our new place has fibre optics and I called Telus who is the only fibre ISP offering service. Same prices as DSL and thei max speed is 150Mbs. I will leave the fibre unused for now and go with Teksavvy DSL instead. I can't wait for Urbanfibre to get bigger. Telus is a highway bandit.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 7:42 PM

I have a pretty crappy internet connection here in Mexico compared to what you guys get in Vancouver.

But I pay less than $30 for internet, phone (including unlimited calls to US, Canada and western Europe), and TV.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 9:08 PM

It is pretty much exactly what I pay for (Shaw 30). I regularly check and and over my wired connection, my connection speed has never dropped bellow what I pay for.

But how do some of you guys clearly get in excess of your plan's upload speed? I used to have shaw 60 for the higher upload speed (and then when they doubled the upload speeds at Christmas I downgraded to 30. I was tempted to switch to Telus, but now the upload speeds are very similar at the price points).

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 1:40 AM

The one good thing about living in Delta

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardak View Post

The one good thing about living in Delta
Good download speed but look at the upload speed. The upload speed is laughable. That's like a 15 to 1 ratio. It should be 6 to 4. That would mean your REAL download speed would be 94 and upload speed 62. This is the result of marketing, lack of competition, and just a general lack of knowledge by the public at large. All the ISP's push download speeds in Canada and completely hide upload speeds. Do you want to have a 4k video conference call? Aint happening with you connection. Want to transfer a file to your partners computer (who also has the same internet) fast? Aint happening because you are limited to your max upload speed. Want to broadcast something? Good luck. One 4k stream requires roughly 40 mb/s. You are very short. But you can watch roughly 4 4k streams at once.

But the thing is you dont have to be short on the upload side if only the ISP had a proper ratio. But that doesn't sell in this current market.

Also when people compare our speeds to others speeds you need to add up to download and upload. Some guy in Czechia with 300 down and 200 up has a significantly better service then some Canadian with 400 down and 20 up.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Our new place has fibre optics and I called Telus who is the only fibre ISP offering service. Same prices as DSL and thei max speed is 150Mbs. I will leave the fibre unused for now and go with Teksavvy DSL instead. I can't wait for Urbanfibre to get bigger. Telus is a highway bandit.
And just when I completed writing this I went on to order Telus internet!

I was already placing an order for Teksavvy, but as I was clicking through their order process the fees just kept adding up and in the end just the fees would have been around $350!

With Telus there is no installation fee and no new hardware needed, so there are no fees for me to pay. That $350 will go a long way in paying for the higher monthly price ($68/month vs. $45/month) for the same 25 Mbps fibre optics internet.

It feels such a waste to have fibre come in your apartment and not be able to utilize it! Like mentioned, Telus' pricing for fibre internet is a joke vs. Urbanfibre and not even nearly as fast. The service representative didn't believe me when I told him what price Urbanfibre is charging for their 1Gbps service, until he checked their website. He was dumbfounded to say the least.

At least I have a month-to-month contract that I can cancel the moment either Novus (or blessed be the heavens, Urbanfibre) expands to our building. Until then...

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 7:17 AM

Quote:
And just when I completed writing this I went on to order Telus internet!

I was already placing an order for Teksavvy, but as I was clicking through their order process the fees just kept adding up and in the end just the fees would have been around $350!

With Telus there is no installation fee and no new hardware needed, so there are no fees for me to pay. That $350 will go a long way in paying for the higher monthly price ($68/month vs. $45/month) for the same 25 Mbps fibre optics internet.

It feels such a waste to have fibre come in your apartment and not be able to utilize it! Like mentioned, Telus' pricing for fibre internet is a joke vs. Urbanfibre and not even nearly as fast. The service representative didn't believe me when I told him what price Urbanfibre is charging for their 1Gbps service, until he checked their website. He was dumbfounded to say the least.

At least I have a month-to-month contract that I can cancel the moment either Novus (or blessed be the heavens, Urbanfibre) expands to our building. Until then...
Funny you mentioned UrbanFibre as I work for them.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Funny you mentioned UrbanFibre as I work for them.
Any hints as to where you are expanding next, or the potential speed of expansion? Seems like great speeds so far, but the network is all over the place, concentrated up at SFU?

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 3:02 PM

Quote:
What's the point of fiber if it's capped at 25 Mbps?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion