HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 11, 2011, 2:12 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

nevermind........

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 6:50 PM
ARTchitecture

I know Vancouver converted its old railway tunnel under downtown into its stacked skytrain tunnel from Stadium-Chinatown Station to Waterfront Station... perhaps some/one of these tunnels is an abandoned train tunnel?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 7:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I know Vancouver converted its old railway tunnel under downtown into its stacked skytrain tunnel from Stadium-Chinatown Station to Waterfront Station... perhaps some/one of these tunnels is an abandoned train tunnel?
I've heard some inner city residents are suggesting that the rough'ed in LRT tunnel be used for river over-flow IE to protected homes instead of facilitate better public transportation.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 9:14 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
I've heard some inner city residents are suggesting that the rough'ed in LRT tunnel be used for river over-flow IE to protected homes instead of facilitate better public transportation.
These people are idiots if they really think that the volume of the tunnel is any match for the river!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 10:56 PM

And isn't the only tunnel to-date the portion built under City Hall?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 11:11 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
There just ain't a smiley to express my thoughts here.

That is hilarious on so many levels. Not the least of which are capacity, and structural soundness.

This, folks, is why we do not live in a direct democracy and why referendums for everything are a really, really stupid idea. The so-called "average person" is truly a short-sighted idiot on most issues.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
There just ain't a smiley to express my thoughts here.

That is hilarious on so many levels. Not the least of which are capacity, and structural soundness.

This, folks, is why we do not live in a direct democracy and why referendums for everything are a really, really stupid idea. The so-called "average person" is truly a short-sighted idiot on most issues.
Where would the water entering the tunnel go? Water only flows down hill so the tunnel would have to spill into the Bow at a lower elevation than downtown. Where would that be? Most likely somewhere way SE in Fish Creek Park. This idea is even dumber than suggestions that Calgary needs a Winnipeg style floodway.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2013, 12:48 PM
cow orker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
These people are idiots if they really think that the volume of the tunnel is any match for the river!
You quoted the troll that said what he "heard". It's bullshit.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 12:38 AM
Snarkotron

The Civic Parkade, a much larger structure -- which is directly connected to the tunnel structure -- filled completely during the flood with 60 million litres of water, and did nothing to alleviate the flooding. The c-train tunnel between Victoria Park and City Hall filled completely with water, and did nothing to alleviate the flooding. The roughed-in area did not help either, did it?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
And isn't the only tunnel to-date the portion built under City Hall?
There is a roughed in station area under Bankers Hall, and supposedly one under Western Canada Place, although not confirmed.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown_Tim View Post
There is a roughed in station area under Bankers Hall, and supposedly one under Western Canada Place, although not confirmed.
At Bankers Hall, I understand it to be a roughed-in connection to where a station would be located, and not a full station per-se. Given the age of WCP, I'm surprised to hear a rumour of something there.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
At Bankers Hall, I understand it to be a roughed-in connection to where a station would be located, and not a full station per-se. Given the age of WCP, I'm surprised to hear a rumour of something there.
WCP is only a few years older than the first Bankers Hall tower isn't it? Also, what year was the Municipal Building built? It was in the late 70's and early 80's that Calgary was thinking about building a subway I believe. Does anyone know the history of the proposed subway and the later decision to go with a LRT?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
WCP is only a few years older than the first Bankers Hall tower isn't it? Also, what year was the Municipal Building built? It was in the late 70's and early 80's that Calgary was thinking about building a subway I believe. Does anyone know the history of the proposed subway and the later decision to go with a LRT?

Municipal building was finished in 1985.
Several options were considered for the c-train. It was determined that at grade track would be fine until Calgary was bigger, at which time a subway under Stephen Ave would be ideal. You can even tell from the original 7th ave stations, that they were not intended to satisfy a city of 1 million. Running the train at grade worked better than many of the original planners thought. IIRC there were a lot of worries about conflicts with vehicles and pedestrians. IMO, Calgary made 100% the right call to stay at grade, and this is a major reason our LRT (and dare i say our city) is so much more successful that Edmonton's. Saving cost allowed us to build more line, something that was especially important in establishing a network.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 12:40 AM
Snarkotron

Quote:
1983, six years earlier than the east tower of bankers hall. I am surprised that you don't know this, or that they were designed by the same firm.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 8:45 PM

I don't keep up on stats of when buildings were completed, and I didn't know that Cohos Evamy designed WCP. The timing does seem to work with when the tunnel under the Municipal building and Bankers Hall were done, so it's possible there is a station roughed in.

Quote:
IMO, Calgary made 100% the right call to stay at grade, and this is a major reason our LRT (and dare i say our city) is so much more successful that Edmonton's. Saving cost allowed us to build more line, something that was especially important in establishing a network.
I'd say that the success of downtown lead to the success of the LRT, not the other way around. Does anyone know why Edmonton's downtown didn't become much of a corporate centre while we did? I doubt very much that our LRT at grade made any difference, actually I think that burying the line should have been better. I agree that going with the on grade option lead to our system being better as both cities have spend a similar amount to date and ours is much more extensive and carries way more passengers.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 9:03 PM

How does the flood impact plans for a future Stephen Ave subway? Downtown's high water table has always been a challenge but the experience with the Municipal Building present numerous questions:

1) Will building owners allow underground tie-in to a tunnel that could allow water into their own buildings?

2) Tunnels can be designed to be water tight but the portals will be possible entry points for water. The existing Victoria Park portal failed. Could it be redesigned for greater resilience?

3) Could the tunnel and underground stations be designed to easily recover from flooding?

4) The large foundations downtown have already raised the water table by displacing the porous material through which water normally flows. What would be the impact of a very long, continuous barrier to underground water flow?

5) Could tunnels be constructed under the Bow or Elbow in a cost effective manner? One solution to the portal problem might be to connect the Cemetery Hill and Victoria Park tunnels with a new tunnel under the Elbow. The future NC line might require a tunnel under theBow.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 9:31 PM
Here and There

I was wondering this as well.......the C train service was hardly affected by the floods, imagine a flooded subway to deal with...

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 11:01 PM
ARTchitecture

There should (in a perfect world) be a tunnel right after Sunnyside Station, a portal heading under the Bow River, under 8th Avenue, under where the Stampede Stations are right now, under the Elbow, and then connecting with the existing cemetary hill tunnel. That would make for three underground stations in the financial core (8th Street, 3rd Street, City Hall) and both Stampede stations underground.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 11:22 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Does anyone know why Edmonton's downtown didn't become much of a corporate centre while we did?
Arguably due to the Barron building.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Arguably due to the Barron building.
Care to elaborate?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues