HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 1:54 PM
BANNED

Don't use sheets, nurseries sell a cloth that is much better at reducing frost damage. Being that you are centrally located, frost isn't as big of a concern than say someone in Gilbert, but we do get a few nights where you might want to take some precautions. That block wall will keep the plants nice and warm too.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 8:15 PM

PHX31- nice backyard transformation, and your pepper tree is a vitex or chaste tree.

Although sissoos do grow fast and are evergreen, they are extremely messy especially the seeds.

Fantex ash are by far the cleanest deciduous trees in Phoenix, because they are the last to lose their leaves in winter and the first to get them back in spring.

If you are looking for a clean evergreen tree I would recommend a Brazilian pepper tree.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2009, 9:55 PM
High Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKPhx View Post
If you are looking for a clean evergreen tree I would recommend a Brazilian pepper tree.
That is indeed a very good choice. It is a very clean tree with little upkeep aside from watering and a little pruning. It also tends to spread out, so give it room to grow. When mature, it provides a nice dense shady area.

The only downside to a Brazilian Pepper tree is that it can be sensitive to the desert heat. So, you want to make sure to get one that has been acclimated to the desert, if recently shipped in from an area outside of our region. The best bet, is to get one that is raised from a seedling at a nursery here.

Last edited by TAZ4ate0; Jul 24, 2009 at 5:44 AM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:46 PM

So here's the update...

Planted a couple new shrubs (Oleanders in place of the Dwarf Myrtle that never caught), a new Fan-Tex Ash tree (14' tall) and a new Rio Red Grapefruit, which I'm thinking I need to pick off the fruit to let all the nutrients and such go toward establishing the tree, right?

Some pictures...

I also planted 3 Arizona Yellowbell shrubs behind the house to shade a window...one shrub didn't go so well, I pulled on the "trunk" and it tore off from the rest of the roots, leaving about a 2 fist size root ball and the rest in the container. I should have cut the container off the roots instead of pulling on it. I'll see if it survives, if not, I'll get a replacement, it was only $12.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 5:03 PM

They planted it for you, right??

If you don't mind me asking... can you give me a cost breakdown?

I wouldn't pull the fruit from the tree. Unless they told you. When I got my tangelo and lemon trees, they didn't say anything about that. I had a bunch of fruit on my trees when they planted it, and by the winter I was eating ripe tangelos and lemons and the trees did fine.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 5:32 PM

They planted the Ash and Grapefruit trees, the shrubs I planted myself. I also forgot to mention I also put in a new Mexican Bird of Paradise (along the back wall)

The price breakdown was:

32" box Ash: $160 + $200 to plant
24" box Grapefruit: $160 + $100 to plant
5 gal. Shrubs: $12 x 5 (planted myself)
15 gal. Bird of Paradise: $40 (planted myself)

The damn planting fee was damn near the cost of all the trees/plants...but I wasn't about to dig out a 36"x36" hole in the ground. It was hard enough for the 5 gallon shrubs.

As for pulling the fruit...they didn't say either way, I was just thinking about it myself and thought it would make sense. I'll research it some more.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 5:35 PM

Good lord, those planting fees are ridiculous. You got the trees at a fantastic price, but I'm pretty sure your planting/guarantee fees are way more than mine were. I bet they jacked up that price when they dropped the tree price. However, I still think you got a great deal. What's the likelihood of the trees surviving, i.e., isn't it harder for them to survive transplanting now, rather than late spring?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 5:41 PM

They didn't jack up the prices...they have always had jacked up prices. I've been looking to buy a couple trees for 6+ months and they have always charged $100 for 24" box and $200 for 32"/36" box.

What I liked about it most is the 1 year guarantee that came with the planting. I've had 1 queen palm not make it previously (planted by me) and 3 Dwarf Myrtle shurbs that also didn't make it, also planted by me. With spending all the money, it was good peace of mind for me.

As for the likelihood of the trees surviving...well...see the above statement. They of course said they will be fine (what else are they going to say) but with the guarantee, I feel ok about it, they will replace them if they don't survive.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 6:57 PM
High Voltage

Your backyard is looking nice HX.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 7:16 PM

So I called called 4-5 nurseries and all except 1 said that if the tree only has 4-5 grapefruits, it's ok to leave them on the tree. They said the tree might naturally lose them anyway in trying to deal with the transplanting.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 11:18 PM
BANNED

What mountain is that? Are there any trails that lead to the summit? If so, it would be interesting to see some recent (past 10 years) Phx sprawl from the peak of that hill/mountain.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 2:29 AM

Not sure that it's called, or if it even has a name. It has no trails and is not accessible, it has a fence around the whole thing.

Oh yea, by the way, did you guys know that a tree's canopy only grows as wide as the box it's planted in at the nursery? I never knew that.
I called to ask how to encourage more horizontal growth vs vertical...and they explained that now that it's in the ground, as the roots spread, so will the canopy. Felt kind of dumb after that.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 3:24 AM

Weird (about the canopy). I had a brazillian pepper (from moon valley) that didn't make it and they replaced it.

I also like your backyard, HX_Guy, looks nice. That mountain looks like it is in the area north of Happy Valley, are you up there? Or are you near the mountains off of the 101 near 43rd Ave?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 3:26 AM

It is the Happy Valley mountain...I'm just NE of 67th Ave and Happy Valley.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 4:03 AM
BANNED

I dont like how close that tree is to te pool but te yard looks great

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 5:51 PM
this could have been...

yes, your yard looks great, and i like the mtn view.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 5:53 PM
this could have been...

question: If the tree dies, do they only replace the actual tree, or does the guarantee include the tree and the replanting fee?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2009, 6:55 PM

The replace the actual tree, including new tree and planting.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 5:53 PM

How are your new trees doing HX?

I went to Moon Valley nursery this weekend and bought a Sissoo tree (regular $399 for $160) and also a bougainvilla for $10. I planted it all myself to save on the planting/guarantee fees. I think I did a pretty good job and I am very happy with the tree and the location... I just can't wait for it to grow. Apparently Sissoos grow like crazy (5-6' per year) and I like the leafiness/shade they'll provide. I thought about getting a ficus, and for the money the ficus were a bit more mature than the sissoos they were selling, but the fact that Sissoos grow so fast, yet won't get as giant (don't have room for it to grow to 50'), and are cold temperature resistant, I decided on the Sissoo. I really like their leaves.

EDIT: Here is a crappy cell phone picture I took:

I have since installed a couple support posts on either side... eventually, once it gets over the transplant shock and is more established (probably in about a month), I'm going to trim the lower branches flush to give it its final canopy height.

Last edited by PHX31; Sep 8, 2009 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 8:19 PM

The trees are doing ok with the grapefruit tree doing a little better then the ash I think. The ash is not getting enough water to the top of the tree so I've adjusted how I'm watering it recently. The bottom leaves look great, but at about half way up the canopy the leaves are folding in half.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest