HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Hey...didn't even know Picaro was open now! Have to go check it out...
https://www.picaro.ca

Their list of local food and drink partners is impressive.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 5:59 PM

Save On Food 8th street

Just a bit curious. Is the new Save On Foods building on 8th and Cumberland going to be totally used by Save On? It sure is a big building now that it is near finished and you can see what is actually there.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2017, 3:09 PM

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 6:51 PM

Thanks Saskatoon!

The rumours are true! We are thrilled to announce that Grassroots Restaurant Group will be opening a new restaurant in Regina early summer of 2018. We are excited to open the restaurant in the historical Canada Life Assurance Building located on 11th Avenue. We look forward to providing the city of Regina a great dining experience and being a part of the already growing culture and food scene of Regina.
You don’t have to wait to experience our Grassroots Restaurant Group con...cepts as we’ll be hosting 3 pop up dinners in our new location featuring Ayden Kitchen and Bar, Little Grouse on the Prairie, and our newest venture Sticks and Stones.
Please see links below for ticketing details and information. We look forward to servicing you Regina!
https://www.picatic.com/AydenInRegina
https://www.picatic.com/LittleGrouseInRegina
https://www.picatic.com/SticksAndStonesInRegina

See More

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 5:11 PM

Sears is done!

So it appears Midtown (or 20Vic, the owners of Midtown) saw the writing on the wall. It is now official - Sears Canada is going out of business.

I feel bad for the people losing their jobs. This kind of thing is always bittersweet. Still, I'm looking forward to the redevelopment of that space and the new retailers we will have in the city.

Quote:
Sears Canada announced Tuesday that it is seeking court approval to liquidate all of its remaining assets, beginning Oct. 19.

“Following exhaustive efforts, no viable transaction for the company to continue as a going concern was received,” according to a press release from the company.

“Accordingly, Sears Canada, with the recommendation of its advisors . . . is seeking an order to commence a liquidation that would result in a wind-down of its business following court approval. The Company deeply regrets this pending outcome and the resulting loss of jobs and store closures.”

The court hearing for approval is set for Friday.
Story: https://www.thestar.com/business/201...-business.html

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
So it appears Midtown (or 20Vic, the owners of Midtown) saw the writing on the wall. It is now official - Sears Canada is going out of business.

I feel bad for the people losing their jobs. This kind of thing is always bittersweet. Still, I'm looking forward to the redevelopment of that space and the new retailers we will have in the city.

Story: https://www.thestar.com/business/201...-business.html

A largerfood court, Zara, H&M, larger Sport Chek, not sure if Apple Stores are expanding into smaller centers, also maybe a Best Buy? This is going to completely rejuvenate that mall. This is more than bittersweet, all of those people will find new work at the stores replacing Sears.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
A largerfood court, Zara, H&M, larger Sport Chek, not sure if Apple Stores are expanding into smaller centers, also maybe a Best Buy? This is going to completely rejuvenate that mall. This is more than bittersweet, all of those people will find new work at the stores replacing Sears.
I think Zara, H&M and Forever 21 will all be added. Perhaps a Banana Republic or Club Monaco. The space is large enough for a Crate & Barrel, as well. I've heard Simons from a few people, but I don't think Saskatoon is big enough to support a store that size.

I'm excited to see what comes! I don't think we'll hear anything concrete until the new year when the liquidation is wrapped up.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 5:58 PM

Quote:
I think Zara, H&M and Forever 21 will all be added. Perhaps a Banana Republic or Club Monaco. The space is large enough for a Crate & Barrel, as well. I've heard Simons from a few people, but I don't think Saskatoon is big enough to support a store that size.

I'm excited to see what comes! I don't think we'll hear anything concrete until the new year when the liquidation is wrapped up.
Actual restaurants! Yes Simons! And yes a real Banana Republic as the outlet version does very very good at Preston Crossing.

Anyone have any thoughts on this renovation working with the city to connect a skywalk to the cinpeplex theatre? How would one go about making that connection? Seems like a win win for both Midtown and Cineplex.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on this renovation working with the city to connect a skywalk to the cinpeplex theatre? How would one go about making that connection? Seems like a win win for both Midtown and Cineplex.
I agree - that would benefit the theatre and the mall. A lot of people would park in the mall parking lot in the winter.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 7:24 PM

Quote:
(or 20Vic, the owners of Midtown)]
Just an FYI, 20Vic doesn't own the mall, just mangers.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 11:34 PM

20 Vic can't wait to be rid of Sears in both Midtown and Cornwall. They pay super low rent and add nothing to the malls.

Last edited by Stormer; Oct 11, 2017 at 2:30 AM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 1:16 AM

The repurposing of the Sears space presents a fantastic opportunity to better integrate that end of Midtown with its surroundings and greatly improve its curb appeal. It has high visibility from traffic coming over the Idylwyld Bridge, and the potential to better connect with the River Landing node of activity to the south, and Riversdale to the west -- not to mention a possible future arena across the street (even though I still think the best arena location is the Midtown lot on 22nd Street, but I digress).

I would like to see the central shopping concourse extended through the space with a landmark entrance on 20th Street. Lots of glass and transparency. Where possible, the retail spaces would also have active building frontages - windows, entrances, signage, etc.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 5:30 PM

http://www.ckom.com/2017/10/10/156811/
‘Business as usual:’ Midtown Mall manager reacts to Sears Canada news

Lies, they've been planning a life without Sears for a while. I know I've heard things about the possibility of moving an expanded food court to inside of Sears - forcing people to go upstairs more, making rent more attractive up there. They've known Sears has been a goner for a long time.

"Napper said Sears occupies about 160,000 square feet in Midtown Plaza, representing between 15 and 18 per cent of the mall’s total space."

Anyone have any insider knowledge of the full plans? There are definitely plans out there.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 5:46 PM

It's no surprise to me that Midtown management would be mum on their post-Sears plans until well after the closure is official and liquidation is underway. I really don't expect them to announce much of anything until after Sears has vacated the space.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 9:46 PM

According to this article Saskatoon is going to be the only Canadian location.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3796060/c...rta-locations/

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 9:56 PM

Any detail information on the restaurant that will be part of the Remai Modern art gallery? All I know it is part of the group Oliver and Bonacini which also own Canoe in Toronto and I believe operate a higher end restaurant in Toronto Museum of Art? Just wondering what kind of food we might expect there....

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 3:42 PM

Daily bite: Oliver & Bonacini opens new eatery in Saskatoon

Check out Shift Restaurant, the newest eatery in Saskatoon located inside the Remai Modern

by Dan Clapson, eatnorth
October 23, 2017

With The Guild opening in Calgary a year and half or so ago, as well as properties in progress in Edmonton, it's clear that the well-known Toronto-based restaurant group, Oliver & Bonacini is poised for coast-to-coast operations in the next handful of years.

The newest notch in the group's belt comes by way of the restaurant, Shift, which is located in Saskatoon's brand new (and stunning) modern art gallery, Remai Modern.

[........]

Read more:
http://eatnorth.com/dan-clapson/dail...tery-saskatoon

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 9:38 PM

Not exactly in Saskatoon, but the owners of the Burning Beard are opening up a new restaurant/bar in Martensville called the Caesar Mill.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Caesar-...6209191468740/

Martensville and Warman definitely have a lack of unique, non-franchise places like this, so it should be interesting to see how they do.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2017, 4:03 PM

New Faces: Experience the intensity of Bang and Olufsen speakers

By John Grainger, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
November 4, 2017

Are you looking for a life-changing moment?

It’s quite likely James Frost will be able to provide that for you through an auditory and sensory experience you won’t soon forget.

Frost opened his doors to his James Frost Luxury Outfitters store in trendy Riversdale a month ago where he is the sole distributor of Bang and Olufsen products in the province. In fact, Frost is the only distributor for Bang and Olufsen on the prairies. Outside of Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal, Saskatoon is the only place where Bang and Olufsen products are sold.

[........]

Read more:
http://thestarphoenix.com/business/l...ufsen-speakers

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 4:41 PM

New Faces, New Places: Lifelong love of cooking led to Dragon Express

By John Grainger, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
November 11, 2017

When Allan Tang turned 14 while growing up in Hong Kong, it became his job to cook for his entire family, which included another seven siblings.

When Tang brought his family to Canada and Saskatoon in 2002, he also brought his lifelong love of cooking with him.

Upon arrival on the prairies, Tang first worked at the Mandarin Restaurant, a standard in the city for its ethnic Chinese cuisine. He then added to his skill-set by working at a variety of other restaurants in the city.

Now, Tang and his family including daughter Joey have opened the doors to Dragon Express, in the Confederation area of the city.

[........]

Read more:
http://thestarphoenix.com/business/l...dragon-express

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan