HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 9:24 PM

Someone is finally doing something with this house on Bay Street North...

Google Street View | 230 Bay Street North, Hamilton

Metamorphosis House by Joe, on Flickr

The caption in the heart says "I am healing as I prepare to transform into my next expression".

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 11:59 PM

^Cute.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
Someone is finally doing something with this house on Bay Street North...

Google Street View | 230 Bay Street North, Hamilton

The caption in the heart says "I am healing as I prepare to transform into my next expression".
This would be perfect spot for a tall and skinny modern box with a flat roof.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 7:27 PM

Quote:
This would be perfect spot for a tall and skinny modern box with a flat roof.
ahahahahahaah I wish. They're building this. I don't understand the appeal of building suburban style homes in an urban centre. There's literally so much context to draw from everywhere, but the results are always super drab and cheap looking.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
ahahahahahaah I wish. They're building this. I don't understand the appeal of building suburban style homes in an urban centre. There's literally so much context to draw from everywhere, but the results are always super drab and cheap looking.

I hate the look of those houses. It's sad that all new builds look like this

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 11:46 PM

People have been building like this in Hamilton for decades. I'm really not sure the knowledge/ expertise exists. I mean, how many examples of New Urbanism or modern design do you actually see in this city? Pretty much zero.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2017, 2:41 AM

New Starbucks opening in the old Quizno's location at Bay/York, next to Swiss Chalet.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post
New Starbucks opening in the old Quizno's location at Bay/York, next to Swiss Chalet.
with a drive-through apparently

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 2:17 AM

Starbucks has obviously done it's research about Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 12:52 AM

Never thought the Quizno's was that great a location but I guess people will come because it is Starbucks.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmascotto View Post
Downtown renewal: Homegrown to be ‘reborn’ in old Windsor hotel
(The Hamilton spectator, Teviah Moro, Wednesday, August 03, 2016)

It's hard to tell if it's a late-afternoon caffeine buzz, giddy anticipation or both.

But Michael Pattison is unabashedly infatuated with the torn-up, debris-strewn space he's renovating from the ground up to reopen Homegrown Hamilton.

"There's our window of opportunity," Pattison cracks, pointing to a large window frame salvaged from the original 137-year-old building at the corner of King William and John streets.

Homegrown closed its doors Saturday night after operating a block west on King William between Hughson and James, for about five years.

The café is taking a hiatus while operator Pattison and a crew work on its future home.

It leaves a temporary void, but the new Homegrown promises to breathe life back into a corner of John and King William that's been vacant for at least seven years.

"It's become a 'nothing,'" Pattison says about the derelict three-storey brick building.

That wasn't always the case.

It — 31 John St. N. — has hosted bars and live music venues.

Perhaps most fondly, Pattison knows it as the Windsor Hotel, where John Dick, the husband of Evelyn Dick, was last spotted in 1946 before his torso was found near Albion Falls.

The spot wrote itself another colourful chapter in 2008, when police found $1.2 million worth of pot plants — 1,236 of them — after busting a grow-op above a nightclub operating there.

All that history is part of why Pattison's "bloody excited" about the move.

Pattison, who has construction experience, says he looked at 22 spots downtown before falling for the old Windsor. "When I walked in, it was us."

"Us" had been 27 King William St., where loyal patrons went to sip java or beer, eat organic fare, watch live music, appreciate art and talk social justice.

"I've always been able to feel good about what we provide here," said barista Keisha Neoma-Quinn while working her last shift Thursday.

She spearheaded an effort to raise more than $10,000 for the big move and will help with the renovation along with other Homegrown staff.

The change is bittersweet.

The Sky Dragon Centre decided not to renew Homegrown's lease-end and is expecting to occupy the space with a brew pub.

Pattison wasn't happy about that but looks forward to the "rebirth, if you will."

A larger space at the Windsor, which boasts 12-foot ceilings, will allow for a more equipped kitchen, ergo, a more expansive menu. There'll also be a bigger stage for performances.

Local architect Bill Curran says the plan is to open up the brick building to as much natural light as possible through glass while showcasing original features, such as interior arches.

"It could be quite a nice way to open up what is now a pretty bland stretch."

To the west, King William is experiencing a resurgence of new eateries and condos. A renovated Windsor could help that evolution spread east, Curran said.

"I think people will be pretty pleased to see that building come back to life."

Pattison struck a deal with Maciek Walicht, the building's Toronto-based owner, to renovate the three floors. In exchange, he gets a 10-to-15-year lease with "reasonable terms" for the ground level.

Pattison is budgeting at least $250,000 for Homegrown's relocation.

The overall renovation of the building — including office space on the second and third floors, a mezzanine and finished basement — is expected to cost about $1.4 million.

Walicht, who bought 31 John St. N. in 2010 for about $400,000, said it would have been cheaper to tear the building down, but he was fond of its historical look.

"I thought it would be a shame to lose all of that," he said.

The goal is to have the second and third floors done by December and Homegrown open in May.

Inside, the building is a Frankenstein monster, featuring a patchwork of flooring and decades of ad hoc repairs.

Mike Willoughby, the project's right-hand man, knows there's quite a job ahead.

The old Windsor has seen better days, he says.

"This is the last kick at the can for the place," Willoughby concludes. "Either it gets done or it's going to be a tower."

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but i heard they defaulted on the lease payments and the mortgage holder took the property back, hence why you see a "for lease" sign back up at the property

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but i heard they defaulted on the lease payments and the mortgage holder took the property back, hence why you see a "for lease" sign back up at the property
Yeah I was wondering what had happened since the lease sign is up again. I really want something to happen with that building, but I never really liked Homegrown so I'm not too gutted about the news.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 3:53 AM

The building was probably in worse shape than anticipated

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 5:16 AM

Say good bye to LRT, Brad Lamb will surely flip out, well I hope not

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:25 PM

A crew is removing some brick at the back of the Kresge building with a cherry picker right now.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 11:05 PM

Multi Level MAYHEM

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 12:27 AM

That must have been very complicated for the (quote-unquote) architect.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 3:12 AM

Not sure if the correct term for an awful building like that is archi-torture or archi-dreck-ture.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 12:43 AM

There are properties like those popping up all over Ottawa, and some are starting to in Kingston as well now. Yes, they completely don't blend with anything in the immediate area, but I have seen some where people spent the time and money to plant lots of trees, plants, and other things to create English style gardens around them, that help to add some eclecticism to the neighborhood after a while.

With that having been said, there have been other renditions of modern brownstones that have gone up in other parts of Hamilton and other places that look far more in touch with their surroundings...

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 1:29 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

The advantage is Hamilton seems to get full brick wrap around, so many of the Ottawa ones go with aluminum siding everywhere but the front...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton