HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Anything will be in improvement over Belgo. Now if we could only get rid of Ruths.

Kind of surprised that they're not calling the new place Barcelona Taberna.
That's a better name.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 4:24 PM

Belgo always smelled so bad when you walked by on the west side of 4th street. I never once ate there but I knew it had to be bad. The only good part about the construction closing that side was that it forced me to stay away from that stink...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 8:00 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Anything will be in improvement over Belgo. Now if we could only get rid of Ruths.

Kind of surprised that they're not calling the new place Barcelona Taberna.
Pronounced "Barthelona Taberna"

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Pronounced "Barthelona Taberna"
Good one. That's what I'll be calling it.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 3:27 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Hopefully it's not Barfelona.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2014, 3:51 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Of all the things about my time in Spain I only have one regret: picking up the accent.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 8:32 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Greetings from Köln. When I get home I am going to eat sushi and Vietnamese until I burst. Sushi is pricey here, terrible quality (the NORM is to use pre-sliced fish which I don't think I've ever seen even in a supermarket sushi counter in Canada), and no spicy tuna rolls. There are dozens of Vietnamese-owned restos but they mostly serve German-style ersatz Chinese and their attempts at sushi (yes, Vietnamese sushi) and Thai but no Vietnamese. The real Viet places are very few and far between, are incredibly pricey compared to Calgary (12.90 euro for pho- I'm not joking) and don't even give the proper accompaniments with pho. But it's not all bad at all- and I'm not just talking about German food which is outstanding. Thai, at least in Cologne, is abundant and cheap and staffed by Thai people. Imagine a city with dozens of Jackies. There is, and i'm not speaking figuratively, at least 100 times the number of Turkish places. So it's been good. Even the coffee scene in Cologne, which was bad along the lines of 2007 Montreal (and that is BAD) has improved by leaps and bounds.

Anyway I was just on Urbanspoon (which doesn't exist in Europe- Yelp has been a lifesaver) and noticed a recent review for a Marble Slab location and was curious about what had happened to the one on 17th next to Fiore. I know it closed many months ago, but late-ish in the summer the for lease signs disappeared and there was what looked like renovation going on inside. From the shape of the counters it looked like it would be another ice cream place but I suppose it could be almost anything- definitely food use. Any news?

Is the Thai place that was opening in the place at 17th and 5th SW by Purr open yet?

Is the macaron place by Tompkins Park- not in MRV but east of it, near Tutti Fruitti- open yet?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Anyway I was just on Urbanspoon (which doesn't exist in Europe- Yelp has been a lifesaver) and noticed a recent review for a Marble Slab location and was curious about what had happened to the one on 17th next to Fiore. I know it closed many months ago, but late-ish in the summer the for lease signs disappeared and there was what looked like renovation going on inside. From the shape of the counters it looked like it would be another ice cream place but I suppose it could be almost anything- definitely food use. Any news?
Another donair place if I've got the location right.

Quote:
Is the Thai place that was opening in the place at 17th and 5th SW by Purr open yet?
Yes it is. Haven't eaten there as I'm not the biggest Thai fan, but it is open.
Today, our town lost what remains of its fragile civility, drowned in a sea of low fat pudding. We are a town of lowbrows, no-brows and ignorami. We have eight malls but no symphony. Thirty-two bars but no alternative theater. Thirteen stores that begin with "Le Sex." I write this letter not to nag or whine but to prod. We can better ourselves!
-Lisa Simpson

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 3:13 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt04ku View Post
Another donair place if I've got the location right.
A donair place next door to Shawarma Knight? I mean the space between Fiore and Shawarma Knight that used to be Marble Slab. It would be a bit odd for it to be a donair place when I've heard shawarma knight is already struggling right next door.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 8:35 PM

I walked past the new pub/lounge going in beside Blue Star today, and noticed some construction outside that looked like a patio. Sure enough, the DP mentions an outdoor café. Woohoo!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 10:14 PM

Quote:
A donair place next door to Shawarma Knight? I mean the space between Fiore and Shawarma Knight that used to be Marble Slab. It would be a bit odd for it to be a donair place when I've heard shawarma knight is already struggling right next door.
Sad to hear that they're struggling as they have some of the best shawarma's in town.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Whoops, guess I double counted Shwarma Knight on account of the place in between still being a blank storefront so no indication of what it will be yet.
Today, our town lost what remains of its fragile civility, drowned in a sea of low fat pudding. We are a town of lowbrows, no-brows and ignorami. We have eight malls but no symphony. Thirty-two bars but no alternative theater. Thirteen stores that begin with "Le Sex." I write this letter not to nag or whine but to prod. We can better ourselves!
-Lisa Simpson

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 3:11 AM

Shameless plug, but my friend made this iPhone app to find the nearest Shawarma:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/the-...645680861?mt=8

I think it's still free. Check it out!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 9:47 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Sad to hear that they're struggling as they have some of the best shawarma's in town.
Well... I've never been to the one on 17th, but the original one is incredibly uneven and it's because of the younger Afghan guy who works there now. Horrible. He is stingy with everything and you end up with a dry shawarma- he puts literally one stripe, not close to an ounce, of tahini on the thing. He's rude too. Then Sammy's got bought by these Vietnamese ladies and the one time I went there since the turnover everything LOOKED the same but didn't taste as good. These are two places within three blocks of my house that I've always loved have gone a bit in the crapper- and don't get me started on how bad Co Do is now...

The good thing near that corner is that Ali Baba was also sold last in the winter some time and it's actually much better now- mostly the same menu but portions are much bigger now and the Afghan food (not sure about their shawarma or falafel- they didn't use to have these) is just as good as ever. Best rice you'll ever taste, amazing.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 2:14 PM

I haven't been there in 2 to 3 weeks, so I've yet to be served by the Afghan. It would really suck if he runs that place into the ground.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 2:22 PM
not a NIMBY

There are DPs in today's public notices for 2 restaurants in the 20/20 building on 4th St SW.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 3:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
There are DPs in today's public notices for 2 restaurants in the 20/20 building on 4th St SW.
Interesting, Carino Bistro Mission isn't one of them, looks like they're opening close to Anejo.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 12:44 PM
Aviary Masticator

Belgo was trash. Glad it's getting revamped to something else.

Just came back backpacking across SE Asia. What'd I miss?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 7:06 PM

The Cowtown Beefshack on MacLeod is no more. According to his twitter feed he wasn't able to renew his lease due to the MacLeod trail expansion. Seems a little premature if you ask me.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 4:45 AM
not a NIMBY

Swiss Chalet at McKnight Blvd and Edmonton Tr closed down months ago.
I wonder why. It was always busy.

I read Gilchrist's write-up on Bottega Trattoria 1-5708 1 St SE and I wanted to try it so I went with a friend today for lunch.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Botte...655997?fref=ts
We really liked it. Only complaint was the friend found it freezing cold.
The ambience is Builders Park hole-in-the-wall industrial but the food is good and reasonably priced.
Only open for lunch during the week but they will book dinner parties and they have an evening cooking class.
The owner and the staff are all very personable and friendly.
I had a seafood fettuccine with tomato sauce and friend had carbonara and they came with bruschetta.
There are no appies or soup so we each had salad to start.
The pizzas looked amazing. I guess I'll have to go back for that.
We declined the opportunity to try their tiramisu.
Also the amazing world of Bianca Amor's Liquidation Paradise is right across the parking lot. Wow I had no idea.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation