HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 2:23 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
As of the end of March/2011 London has no murders or even attempted murders.
I think London has had one murder so far this year: http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../18174376.html

Not too shabby. Last year I think there were two or three, all of which either took place in the delicious public housing complexes or in some back alley in the East End.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 6:53 PM

One suspect shot dead and an innocent bystander gets a bullet in the head and is in critical condition. I think this is the 4th SPVM killing this year. For a supposedly safe city, Montreal cops are sure quick to pull the trigger.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...772/story.html

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
One suspect shot dead and an innocent bystander gets a bullet in the head and is in critical condition. I think this is the 4th SPVM killing this year. For a supposedly safe city, Montreal cops are sure quick to pull the trigger.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...772/story.html
the innocent bystander died at the end so 2 more in 1 days for Montreal by Montreal Police! (stupid losers)

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaillant View Post
the innocent bystander died at the end so 2 more in 1 days for Montreal by Montreal Police! (stupid losers)
Poor guy was on his way to work to the same hospital he ended up dying in.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 1:58 AM

Tremblay Gestapo strikes again

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 2:23 AM
The good old days are now

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeMtl View Post
Is this post actually serious? It's certainly in very poor taste, either way!

Certainly the police shooting of an innocent bystander is to be deplored, but let's do so intelligently.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 6:35 AM

well Toronto is having a good year, only at 23 so far. 16 For the GTA. All together 39.

9 in Peel

5 in Halton

1 in Durham

1 in York

Last edited by JuelzJones; Jun 8, 2011 at 6:54 AM.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 7:25 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeMtl View Post
Idiots. The SQ is 'investigating'. Gee, I'll bet the SPVM will be found innocent.. again!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfanman View Post
Idiots. The SQ is 'investigating'. Gee, I'll bet the SPVM will be found innocent.. again!
i hope they get criminal charges

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 1:53 AM

Number 10 for the Halifax area :

HALIFAX — RCMP investigating a fatal shooting during a botched break and enter at a Halifax house said Monday the victim and the man who allegedly pulled the trigger lived together at the home.

Police were called Sunday night after reports that two masked men had broken into a home on St. Margaret's Bay Road in the community of Lakeside, leading to a struggle with the 20-year-old victim, said Cpl. Scott MacRae.

MacRae said a gunshot was fired during the fight, striking and killing the young man. Police identified him as Jason Dockrill.

The two intruders then fled, MacRae said.

When officers arrived, they found the man's body. A 52-year-old man was taken into custody and later released.

Police said a "significant" amount of cash and marijuana was seized from the home during their search.

"That's leading police as one of the possible reasons — maybe it would've been a motive — for this break and enter," said MacRae.

MacRae would not confirm the nature of the relationship between the victim and the alleged shooter.

"They're known to each other," he said Monday. "All we know is that (they) lived at this residence."

RCMP said charges were pending against the 52-year-old.

MacRae said investigators were treating the shooting as a homicide.

"We are investigating it as such until something leads us to believe differently," he said.

Police said they seized a rifle inside the grey bungalow, located along a busy stretch of road west of the city centre.

Yellow police tape cordoned off the home and a neighbouring house as a forensics team scoured the property. The medical examiner's office was also involved in the investigation.

Sandra Brown, who runs a daycare in her home a few doors away, said a family lived in the house but she didn't know much about them.

"They were always just good neighbours," said Brown, adding that the area is typically very quiet.

"It's shocking."

MacRae said police were still searching for the two suspects in connection with the robbery. It's believed the intruders left empty-handed.

He said people have a legal right to defend their property with as much force as necessary during a break and enter.

"But ... you're ultimately responsible for the consequences and the justification of the use of the force," he said.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2011, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharn View Post
I think London has had one murder so far this year: http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2.../18174376.html

Not too shabby. Last year I think there were two or three, all of which either took place in the delicious public housing complexes or in some back alley in the East End.
Thanks for the update and yes the article said it was the city's second homicide of the year. I was just going by stats from the LPS website which was only updated March 31/2011. Still pretty good for a city of 360k.
That shooting in Montreal was horrid and they, like in BC, will have their fellow police "look into it" and surprisingly find no one at fault.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 12:42 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
That shooting in Montreal was horrid and they, like in BC, will have their fellow police "look into it" and surprisingly find no one at fault.
Tragic and unecessary, really. Suppose we actually had a separate body with similar resources investigate these sorts of things... like the military, perhaps?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2011, 4:33 AM
I am a typical

Is the Ontario SIU a separate agency or just made up of police from other forces? I'm pretty sure it is the latter.

Either way, they also do the "we've concluded that the police did what they had to do" bullshit, followed by a provincial inquiry whose findings get ignored by the government. Or, in the North, the inquiry never happens because "everyone but the Ontario government is doing something wrong and we can't proceed at this time".

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 12:19 AM

how the hell is Edmonton at 28/29 homicides already?

toronto is having a good year with only 25 murders so far, at this pace we could only end up inn the 50's by the end of the year.

I know that by the end of July in 2007 Toronto was at 50 murders. In recent years this city has for less murders since then.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 3:24 AM

Calgary is still at 3 I believe. Which is quite amazing, we're on track for the lowest number in probably decades at the current rate.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 3:36 AM
be nice to the crackheads

^That is amazing. Your brother to the north has almost 10 times as many.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Is the Ontario SIU a separate agency or just made up of police from other forces? I'm pretty sure it is the latter.
Its the former.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 11:20 PM
I am a typical

One for Lac Seul FN (beside Sioux Lookout, with 789 residents on-reserve; 3,021 members), and I think this is 2 or 3 for NWO. We have about 8 at this time a couple years ago. Thunder Bay is still at 1.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 11:43 PM

Yeah it's been a pretty quiet year so far in Calgary. What is going on up the QEII? Edmonton wants the title this year it seems...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 12:25 AM

Bilby Street death ruled a homicide

Number 11 for HRM .

Man, 32, likely killed weeks ago
By PATRICIA BROOKS ARENBURG Staff Reporter
Wed, Jun 29 - 2:30 PM

A man found dead in his Bilby Street apartment Monday was the victim of a homicide, Halifax police said today.

The victim has been identified as Shawn Andrew Mead, 32, of 5529 Bilby St.

An autopsy on Tuesday confirmed police suspicions, Const. Brian Palmeter said.

"With the ruling from the medical examiner's (office). . . this just clarified what we're dealing with."

Neighbour Chris Bhola told thechronicleherald.ca Monday that he and other neighbours hadn’t seen the victim recently and noticed flies around the building on Sunday.

Bhola said the door to the man’s second-floor apartment was open and he could see legs sticking halfway out into the hallway.

Bhola said someone else called police, who responded just after noon.

Mead, believed to have been doing dry-walling work, had lived in the upper flat of the two-storey building for more than three years, he said.

Investigators have spoken to friends, family and neighbours, Palmeter said, and police now believe Mead was killed about three or four weeks ago.

"We're interested in speaking with anyone regarding his activities around that time period, to try and narrow down the time frame a little bit," he said.

This is the eleventh homicide in the Halifax Regional Municipality so far this year.

( pbrooks@herald.ca)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada