HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
City definitely needs to revisit it's parking requirements, for cars, bikes, (and car-sharing, electric charging if they have any control on those) .
Actually, the city did revisit parking requirements for cards and bikes. Regarding this development, here are the requirements (from the Transportation Impact Assessment, pg. 32)

For a development that currently doesn't have good transit access and for which most tenants won't be working downtown (the destination OC Transpo focuses their service for), 1.2 spaces per unit for tenants, plus, 0.2 spaces for visitors seems reasonable to me. The key is we need to get most of that parking underground since that is pretty much wasted space anyway.

We can't force people to use alternative modes by not providing residential parking. We need to provide better options for them to the destinations they need to get to.

I do agree that we need to mandate better EV charging infrastructure. It doesn't help that Doug Ford eliminated all requirements from the building code with one quick stroke. Having said that, from the Planning Rational, pg. 32:

Quote:
The proposed development will incorporate Electric Vehicle (EV) charging stations. There are twelve (12) charging pedestals planned and we understand that each pedestal has the capacity to charge 2 EVs. Technically, this would qualify as twenty-four (24) charging stations.

Not perfect, but better than nothing.

Last edited by roger1818; Nov 8, 2021 at 4:09 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 2:58 PM

Considering that the sale of gas powered vehicles will be banned by 2035, you would hope that any new development would include charging, or at least easy retrofit for charging, at every parking spot for residential, and a good portion for every other use.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Don't think they have enough surface parking.
Agreed! Please, we need more. It's not like we're trying to curb sprawl or tackle climate change or anything...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2021, 7:50 PM

Here is the public meeting for the project. The actual presentation is only about 30 minutes and the remaining hour is questions (which I skipped). The planner sure seems to be delusional about his perceived virtues of the design.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 4:34 PM

This project appears to be going ahead with an October 2023 start date.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 5:33 PM

Oh yes, the park surround by parking lots proposal. Do we know if they've made any improvements?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Oh yes, the park surround by parking lots proposal. Do we know if they've made any improvements?
From what I gather, no significant changes except for an underground parking.

More info/drawings can be found here... https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0163/details

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East-End View Post

More info/drawings can be found here... https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...1-0163/details
I guess that just opened up another random park on the corner. Original vs new site plan:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post

Siteplan:

This is really quite a terrible project.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East-End View Post

According to the Planning Rationale, this is what has changed:

Quote:
There are three (3) majors changes that have been made to the Site Plan in response to City
comments received on February 2nd, 2022:
• Reduction of surface parking and addition of underground parking
• additional commercial space (mixed-use buildings)
• public park

Old Posted Jul 12, 2023, 2:50 PM

Here is Glen Gower‘s comments on the project:
Quote:
UPDATE: SITE PLAN APPROVED FOR 360 BOBOLINK
by Glen Gower | Jul 10, 2023 | Development

UPDATE: Site plan approved for 360 Bobolink
City staff have approved the site plan for a mixed-use development at 360 Bobolink Ridge. The proposed development is called Blackstone Village and consists of two stand-alone six-storey apartment buildings, two six-storey mixed-use buildings (apartments and commercial), one low-rise commercial/office building, and four amenity areas. There will be a total of 407 purpose-built rental apartments accompanied by 192 underground parking spaces, 358 surface parking spaces, and 208 bicycle spaces.

Since fall 2021 City staff have been working with the applicant on a number of changes to the proposed development. While I was hoping to see much less surface parking and more neighbourhood commercial space, they have achieved some improvements:
  • There is now some underground parking (and less surface parking), and an increase in bike parking.
  • The landscaping has improved including an increase in the number of trees to be planted.
  • The pedestrian connections have improved.
  • There’s an increase in on-site amenities and green space including a community garden, dog runs, commercial patio space, and a park at the corner of Livery and Bobolink (instead of in the middle of the parking lot).

So what now? Years ago we might have tried to employ a strategy of “block and delay” as leverage to push for additional changes. In 2023 we are in a very different environment where there is a substantial need for more housing, especially purpose-built rentals. That’s combined with new provincial legislation that is significantly changing how planning and development works in Ontario, putting pressure on municipalities to approve housing projects as quickly as possible.
Again, I’m not happy with the amount of surface parking and would have preferred to see more local commercial space. But we don’t have any leverage to push for more. Planning staff have squeezed as many changes as possible on this project from this applicant.
With the changes, the development meets all the policy requirements for approval. (The zoning allows for up to 9-storeys whereas this application is for 6-storey buildings.)

Since this is a site plan application, it will not be going to Planning Committee or Council for approval. Before construction starts, the applicant has conditions they need to satisfy before they receive a building permit. We’ll share any updates about construction timelines and impacts as they become available.

A NOTE ON BLASTING
Residents who live near the site have received a notification letter about future blasting required for construction. Under municipal rules, blasting companies are required to complete a pre-blast survey for all structures within 75 metres of a blasting site, and are required to provide notification about the blasting to everyone within 150 metres of the blasting site. We strongly encourage residents to participate in the pre-blast survey so that you’re protected in the event of damage.

We’ve set up a page to list known blasting operations in the Stittsville area, and we update it with information whenever we receive notification about the schedule for blasting activities on this site: https://glengower.ca/blasting/
https://www.glengower.ca/development...-360-bobolink/

Converted with ChatGBT App

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 1:57 AM

Maybe Ottawa can consider holding an F1 event on the expansive tarmac.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperaccount View Post
Maybe Ottawa can consider holding an F1 event on the expansive tarmac.
I think the runways at Tunney's Pasture International Airport would actually be the best place to hold an F1 even in Ottawa, they are very seldom used after all.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I think the runways at Tunney's Pasture International Airport would actually be the best place to hold an F1 even in Ottawa, they are very seldom used after all.
Holding it in the burbs, where public transit is non existent, would give it a much more 'Ottawa' vibe though Glen's chip truck can cater.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 12:17 PM

I was trying to think how to improve the parking and I kept picking up on more things that make it such a poor design (layout, volume, access to park includes running through a parking lot), snow removal will suck, permeable pavement would be nice!, etc)
So how do you fix it? All below grade? A mix of 1 level below grade and parking on the ground floor? Dig to bedrock on half, build a parking garage, bury it with the materials you dug up, and build the park ontop?

I then went to how to justify those costs for my preferred option. Lets say the parking garage dig out and park on top is 30m? How do you make the finances work? It's $75000 add-on per household (30m/400 units). I think having a central park in there is worth it but also doubt many who will rent there will want to pay the 75G extra (~450/month calculated by mortgage rate over 25 years) to cover that cost. Thoughts? I think it'd be a massive improvement but how to pay for it?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 12:49 PM

Did you ever think that maybe the real problem is the street name?

But seriously, I pity the Bobolink landscaper who needs to remove the rampant wild parsnip from this site before they get started.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawacurious View Post
I was trying to think how to improve the parking and I kept picking up on more things that make it such a poor design (layout, volume, access to park includes running through a parking lot), snow removal will suck, permeable pavement would be nice!, etc)
So how do you fix it? All below grade? A mix of 1 level below grade and parking on the ground floor? Dig to bedrock on half, build a parking garage, bury it with the materials you dug up, and build the park ontop?

I then went to how to justify those costs for my preferred option. Lets say the parking garage dig out and park on top is 30m? How do you make the finances work? It's $75000 add-on per household (30m/400 units). I think having a central park in there is worth it but also doubt many who will rent there will want to pay the 75G extra (~450/month calculated by mortgage rate over 25 years) to cover that cost. Thoughts? I think it'd be a massive improvement but how to pay for it?
Zoned for 9 and they are only going 6. Go 7 and use some creative stilt parking for some of it? Go to 8 or 9 floors for the residential space you lost going stilt? Wouldn't get rid of all the parking but it would allow for more greenspace and the developer could charge a premium for those that want stilt due to the protection from elements benefit?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2023, 8:32 PM

I think the biggest message from this is that the new provincial legislation handcuffs the city from trying to make it better, and they need to largely accept minor amendments to the junk the developer proposes, as if a deal doesn't get approved within 3 months, the Ontario Land Tribunal (OLT) will rubber stamp the original junk proposed.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2023, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I think the biggest message from this is that the new provincial legislation handcuffs the city from trying to make it better, and they need to largely accept minor amendments to the junk the developer proposes, as if a deal doesn't get approved within 3 months, the Ontario Land Tribunal (OLT) will rubber stamp the original junk proposed.
Yup. Agreed. The bill is not about housing, but about giving developers more control, otherwise seas of asphalt would be restricted. Higher densities in new developments would be the law, not just an option.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2023, 4:02 AM

Found this info on Glen Gower's website:

Quote:
360 Bobolink Ridge
Start date: August 2023
End date: Approximately six weeks (until mid-September 2023)
Blasting is underway to prepare the site for construction of apartments. Expected working hours are Monday to Friday from 7am-7pm but can vary depending on site conditions. Blasting may occur on Saturdays between 9am-5pm. Up to 15 blasts are expected per day. Notification has been given to residents within 150 meters of the blasting site, and vibration monitors will be installed. Residents within 75 meters of the blasting site had an opportunity for a pre-blast survey.
Contact : Nick Gervais, Noremac Drillers Ltd., (613) 295-3619 or nick@noremacdrillers.com
https://www.glengower.ca/information...tart%20date%3A

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 4:55 PM

Another update on Glen Gower's Website:

Quote:
360 BOBOLINK CONSTRUCTION, CONTACTS AND TIMELINES
by Team Stittsville | Sep 5, 2023 | Development, Information

Broadview has started construction of Blackstone Village, located at the northeast corner of Robert Grant Avenue and Bobolink Ridge, with additional frontage on Livery Street. The development consists of two stand-alone six-storey apartment buildings, two six-storey mixed-use buildings (apartments and commercial), one low-rise commercial/office building, and four amenity areas. There will be a total of 407 purpose-built rental apartments accompanied by 192 underground parking spaces, 358 surface parking spaces, and 208 bicycle spaces.

Here’s information from Broadview about construction plans and how the work will impact residents:
  • Key contacts for resident inquiries about construction: Glenn Churchill 204-997-0840.
  • Timeline: Work started beginning of August. The developer anticipates first residents to move in on November 1, 2024. All construction to be done by summer 2025. Timing is subject to change.
  • Blasting or hoe-ramming: Blasting for sewer services is complete. Blasting contractor will be returning to site in the next week or two to blast underground building parkades. This will continue for about 3 weeks. (See our blasting page for more information.)
  • Road closures: On September 11, Livery Street will be closed at Bobolink Ridge for a few days to facilitate storm drainage tie-in to the City service.
  • Working hours: 7:00am – 5:00pm, Monday to Friday
  • Street sweeping/dust control: The site is fenced, which should contain the majority of any loose materials. There are large garbage containers on site for refuse. Road is currently being scraped and cleaned as needed during the excavation work. This will continue for the duration of the project. Once excavation work is completed, there should be minimal dirt/mud being brought onto the street.
  • Parking plan: We are in the process of building a granular pad on site for trailers and parking. Other parking will occur on Bobolink adjacent to the site.
  • Tree removal: There were no trees on site. There will be a dedicated park space created at the southeast corner of the site (at Livery and Bobolink). See the preliminary landscape plan.
  • Other impacts: General construction activity for the next 24 months.
https://www.glengower.ca/development...and-timelines/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs