HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 4:24 PM

Hailey Airport Has Options, Consultants Say (Twin Falls Times-News)

Hailey Airport Has Options, Consultants Say

By Karen Bossick
Twin Falls Times-News
February 12, 2012

"There are a number of things that can be done to reduce the number of flights that must be diverted to Twin Falls from Friedman Memorial Airport during winter storms, a consultant told Airport Board members Thursday night.

But SkyWest and Horizon Airlines — the two commercial airlines serving the airport — have different approaches concerning how they’d best be served, he added.

The Airport Authority was forced to examine how to improve the present airport’s reliability after the Federal Aviation Administration backed away from studies examining the feasibility of relocating the airport south of its present site. The FAA blamed the impact the favored site would have had on sage grouse and the difficulty of attaining funding..."

http://magicvalley.com/news/local/ha...3c9c504e4.html

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 5:10 PM

entire article at the link.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/0...dive-into.html

Twin Falls-area caviar maker to dive into big pond
By NATALIE DICOU — (TWIN FALLS) TIMES-NEWS
Posted: 12:00am on Feb 20, 2012; Modified: 12:23am on Feb 20, 2012

An ounce of Leo Ray’s caviar retails for about $100

HAGERMAN — Leo Ray, owner of Fish Processors of Idaho, recently received a U.S. Department of Agriculture Value-added Producer Grant, designed to help farmers advertise new products and build economies in rural communities.
“We’ll see if we can’t build a national market for Idaho caviar,” a thrilled Ray said last week.

Ray, 74, has raised fish such as rainbow trout, catfish and tilapia for about 40 years on farms in the Magic Valley. About six years ago, he began harvesting white sturgeon caviar, which is considered a “value-added” product because it brings in revenue on top of mere fish-meat sales.

The caviar side of Ray’s business has been a long time coming. To produce eggs, sturgeon must be 10 to 15 years old.

For six years, Ray has produced caviar in relatively small quantities — about 300 pounds annually. Now a much larger batch of sturgeon is at last old enough to produce the expensive, glistening, black beads. During the next one to three years, Ray plans to multiply his caviar production tenfold, to as much as 3,000 pounds annually.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 8:10 PM

Super Tuesday is knocking at the back door

Ron Paul thinks he has a chance of winning Idaho....unless all of the Mormon's in the caucus choose Romney. I am interested to know how many people in the caucus are LDS and if they choose Romney just for the fact he is LDS too. (white horse prophecy)

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/0...idaho-all.html

Tuesday is super in Idaho: all about the caucuses

12:00am on Mar 5, 2012

Idaho is holding its first-ever presidential caucus — and the vote is early enough in the year to matter.

Idaho’s 32 delegates will be decided in Republican caucuses in all 44 counties Tuesday night.

The nine states voting with Idaho Tuesday are Georgia (which has 76 delegates), Ohio (66), Tennessee (58), Virginia (49), Oklahoma (43) and Massachusetts (41), North Dakota (28), Alaska (27) and Vermont (17).
Caucus logistics: Caucuses begin

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 7:30 PM
not a cynic

Sand Creek Byway, US Hwy 95, Sandpoint updates:

Awesome aerials, I mean best construction aerials ever: http://calljerry.biz/Sandcreek%20Byway.html

and here: http://www.itd.idaho.gov/slideshow/s...ss/default.htm

Teaser pic from the ITD site:

Last edited by boisecynic; Mar 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 7:44 PM

I love these small Idaho towns built next to huge lakes, they are so beautiful. Idaho has the most gorgeous lakes.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 7:50 PM

Central Idaho highway realignment project is off (Idaho Press-Tribune)

Central Idaho highway realignment project is off

Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2012

"KETCHUM, Idaho (AP) — The Idaho Transportation Department has decided not to realign a 1.5-mile section of State Highway 75 north of the central Idaho mountain town of Ketchum.

Officials say the realignment project was part of a plan to restore wetlands in the area to mitigate the loss of wetlands due to a highway expansion farther south.

The Idaho Mountain Express reports (http://bit.ly/y8XHF4) that the agency made the announcement earlier this month..."

http://www.idahopress.com/news/state...0461e47cb.html

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
Sand Creek Byway, US Hwy 95, Sandpoint updates:

Awesome aerials, I mean best construction aerials ever: http://calljerry.biz/Sandcreek%20Byway.html

and here: http://www.itd.idaho.gov/slideshow/s...ss/default.htm

Teaser pic from the ITD site:

Wow, these are great. Good find.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 5:37 PM

The most beautiful ski mountain in the USA is now safe from bark beetles

http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005141135

Baldy deemed safe from beetles
Forest Service says population has collapsed

by KATHERINE WUTZ

Bald Mountain won't be buzzed by beetle-fighting helicopters this summer, as Forest Service officials report that the Douglas fir bark beetle population has collapsed, meaning Baldy's trees are now out of extreme danger

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 6:11 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
The most beautiful ski mountain in the USA is now safe from bark beetles

http://www.mtexpress.com/index2.php?ID=2005141135

Baldy deemed safe from beetles
Forest Service says population has collapsed

by KATHERINE WUTZ

Bald Mountain won't be buzzed by beetle-fighting helicopters this summer, as Forest Service officials report that the Douglas fir bark beetle population has collapsed, meaning Baldy's trees are now out of extreme danger
I saw that article. Remember those pics from summer before last that I posted? Well, hiking around up there you could see the little pieces of blotter paper laying around everywhere. There must have been hundreds of thousands of them like a hippie's dream come true.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 4:59 PM

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 9:11 PM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/0...-economic.html

Idaho 7th in index of states' economic recoveries last quarter
By William Selway — Bloomberg News
Posted: 1:19pm on Mar 30, 2012; Modified: 1:23pm on Mar 30, 2012

WASHINGTON — More than two-thirds of state economies strengthened during the last three months of 2011, the widest advance in more than year, illustrating the spread of a recovery fueled by manufacturing and energy production.

The Bloomberg Economic Evaluation of States shows energy- rich North Dakota was the top performer in the fourth quarter, compared with the previous three months, followed by West Virginia, Nevada and Oklahoma. The gauge uses data on real estate, taxes, jobs and stock prices to chart the trajectory of 50 state economies. Michigan, Illinois, Idaho, Minnesota, Ohio and Florida rounded out the top 10.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/0...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 4:04 PM

This new PBS documentary looks very interesting.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/0...ilderness.html

A honeymoon in the Idaho wilderness
By ROCKY BARKER — rbarker@idahostatesman.com
Posted: 12:00am on Apr 17, 2012; Modified: 9:42am on Apr 17, 2012
2012-04-17T15:42:38Z

Isaac Babcock is as at home in the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness as the wolves he has monitored and collared for 13 years as a biologist for the Nez Perce Tribe.

So it wasn’t a surprise for his new wife, Bjornen, when he revealed his dream honeymoon: Spending a year together in the largest wilderness area in the lower 48 states.

SEE ‘RIVER OF NO RETURN’ ON PBS OR IN MCCALL
• The film premieres nationally Wednesday. Watch it on Idaho Public Television at 7 p.m.

• In advance of the nationwide premiere, filmmakers Isaac and Bjornen Babcock invite the public to a free screening at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Idaho First Bank Conference Room in McCall.

The two will answer questions from the audience following the high-definition screening

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 1:05 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Watching it right now. Hopefully a lot here are watching too because it is one of the most important and beautiful ecosystems in North America but thank God it is out of reach for most people.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 6:45 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Lewiston, Idaho

i've never been to lewiston. i'm kind of surprised that there hasn't been much mention of idaho's 9th-largest city (population: 32,000).

anyone on the board have any insights?

i found this image. i'm assuming it's rather outdated, but it sure looks like downtown has a lot of potential.

here's another image:

if you have more recent images, please post them!

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 7:23 PM

There has been some discussion about Lewiston in the Idaho Statewide Development Thread . Nice find with the photo, I have been through Lewiston a few times and it has a very impressive tight and historic downtown core.

Edit: The Lewiston thread has (obviously) been merged with this Idaho statewide thread so that there are not so many "satellite" threads.

Last edited by Cottonwood; May 15, 2012 at 10:29 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 10:22 PM

I haven't been to Lewiston in 35 or more years but I can assure you this is not Lewiston Idaho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boizean View Post
I haven't been to Lewiston in 35 or more years but I can assure you this is not Lewiston Idaho.
Maybe that's Lewiston, Maine? There's a Lewiston, NY but it's a little town of only about 2,000.

Lewiston is a neat town, at the confluence of the Snake and Clearwater rivers, home of Lewis and Clark State College, the only port in Idaho made possible by the Columbia and Snake rivers system, home also to paper mills. Principal city of the Lewiston-Clarkston Metro, Population 58,000. What Wikipedia won't tell you is that it's plagued with an odor worse than Nampa's and Pocatello's. If the wind is blowing that stench into town then that's all the encouragement I need to keep plugging along. I've never stopped for more than a bathroom break because of that smell!

I've always thought it would be cool to live in a border town. The kid in me still gets excited seeing a "Welcome to ___" sign at a state border. I'm sure the novelty would wear off eventually. For one reason or another, Lewiston has been rather stagnant, adding only about 1,000 residents between 2000 and 2010.

Lewiston also recently made national news when one of her fine citizens (could have been a Clarkstonian) was bit by a rattlesnake after mistaking it for a stick: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...-wash-wal-mart. The bite happened in Clarkston but the article is unclear as to the residency of the victim.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 12:45 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

The smell in Lewiston is from the paper factories and reminds me of the smell in Portland or Eugene.

Neato place for sure being the furthest inland sea port town in North America.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
The smell in Lewiston is from the paper factories and reminds me of the smell in Portland or Eugene.

Neato place for sure being the furthest inland sea port town in North America.

lol...be careful what you say about one of those cities because even it's sewage waste is golden to many forumers at SSP.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 2:56 PM
All man. Half nuts.

you should've seen some of the OTHER images that came up when i searched for "Lewiston, Idaho."

didn't know about the paper factory smell there, but there are a lot of towns in wisconsin that endure it, too (mosinee and rhinelander, to name a couple). i wonder if lewiston's low location traps the smell and makes it worse than what i've experienced in wisconsin?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West