HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 3:28 PM

It is interesting that Ed Schreyer Parkway seems to tie directly into CPT at Lag. That means a single, newly constructed road in Winnipeg will have at least three different names going from CCW to CPT and ending with ESP.

It is also interesting how ESP curls from east-west to north-south near Plessis. I thought the plan was for the new east-west corridor to continue to the east Perimeter and eventually to 206 (Oak Bank) and beyond. Having a limited access route from 206 with a grade separation at 207/floodway/Perimeter, Plessis and then Lag would be a huge safety improvement for the north-east area over the current patchwork of roads which included many of the most dangerous areas in the province. Also having a raised bridge over the floodway would be a long term strategic move as there have been times where the capacity has been pushed close to closing the existing crossings.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
It is interesting that Ed Schreyer Parkway seems to tie directly into CPT at Lag. That means a single, newly constructed road in Winnipeg will have at least three different names going from CCW to CPT and ending with ESP.
Heh. We switched to a Unicity model over 40 years ago but we're still naming our roads as if the city was a patchwork quilt of municipalities. The old habits die hard, I guess.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The Ed Schreyer Parkway will not go through the Tall Grass Prairie reserve. It will use the Bradley St right of way and terminate at Regent right in front of Vickar Community Chevrolet. The existing industry (Carvista and Buhler)actually encroach on city land I believe, so the city will be able to cobble together a few more feet of space to run 4 lanes into Regent.
Don't see the value anymore of the Ed Schreyer parkway. On page 15 of the old city document, the parkway will intersect Grassie, Concordia, Devonshire, Transcona Blvd, and the CP main line plus the CEMR, a total of 6 intersections on a relatively short north/south route. No major speeds will be attained on the route. It will also make a mess when it intersects to Regent Ave given how close it will be to an already busy Regent/Plessis intersection, and that if you want to keep going south you'll have to get back on Plessis anyways. Also odd to add this roadway in that it is 10 seconds away from Plessis which is nearly 4 lanes from Grassie to Dugald Ave; most people tend to use Lag or Plessis for north/south travel and it would seem a better fit to continue to link CPT to an extension to Plessis and then to the east perimeter.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 9:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The Ed Schreyer Parkway will not go through the Tall Grass Prairie reserve. It will use the Bradley St right of way and terminate at Regent right in front of Vickar Community Chevrolet. The existing industry (Carvista and Buhler)actually encroach on city land I believe, so the city will be able to cobble together a few more feet of space to run 4 lanes into Regent.
Oh yay, another set of lights

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

It is also interesting how ESP curls from east-west to north-south near Plessis. I thought the plan was for the new east-west corridor to continue to the east Perimeter and eventually to 206 (Oak Bank) and beyond. Having a limited access route from 206 with a grade separation at 207/floodway/Perimeter, Plessis and then Lag would be a huge safety improvement for the north-east area over the current patchwork of roads which included many of the most dangerous areas in the province. Also having a raised bridge over the floodway would be a long term strategic move as there have been times where the capacity has been pushed close to closing the existing crossings.
CPT will extend to the east Perimeter along Gunn Rd. The existing Gunn Rd there will be the north service road for the existing businesses. CPT be immediately south.

ESP will connect to CPT and be the north-south road in that new area. ESP will connect at Concordia and Devonshire. Grassie will be closed at the crossing. It seems there is a large dip in the new Transcona Blvd at the future ESP crossing. I don't even know if it would be possible to have an intersection there with the track right beside it. Seems ESP would fly over both, with some kind of a diamond. I know, I know, pie in the sky.

From the CPT west extensions, it looks like there might even be interchanges built as part of that project. And with a $400M budget, it could happen. Maybe the east extension and ESP could get the same. But with the dead end at Regent, it all seems odd. The only way to make any sort of connection would be some type of connection from ESP to the Plessis underpass, using Regent Ave. I know, I know, pie in the sky. Again.

What really is stupid is the City abandoning all plans after the Tall Grass Prairie thing came about. Okay, so you can't go there, go around it. Now they sold the entire right of way to the south and are completely screwed.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
Also odd to add this roadway in that it is 10 seconds away from Plessis which is nearly 4 lanes from Grassie to Dugald Ave; most people tend to use Lag or Plessis for north/south travel and it would seem a better fit to continue to link CPT to an extension to Plessis and then to the east perimeter.
It would likely make sense to can ESP completely and put any savings into a grade separation at Plessis and CPT and if there is enough cash at Plessis and the rail line north of Regent.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 4:35 PM

The problem with Plessis is that it's very narrow. Anything with a speed of 70 or higher requires a greater offset from properties. There's the gas corridor along the east side and properties very close on the west side. It's like a regular City street. Not saying it's a bad idea. But if the City really wanted an expressway, ESP is the only option. Is an expressway needed, that is the question.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The problem with Plessis is that it's very narrow. Anything with a speed of 70 or higher requires a greater offset from properties. There's the gas corridor along the east side and properties very close on the west side. It's like a regular City street. Not saying it's a bad idea. But if the City really wanted an expressway, ESP is the only option. Is an expressway needed, that is the question.

I don't understand why the city would build the ESP in the first place. It will run completely parallel to Plessis and dead end at Regent. Wouldn't it make more sense to add a few interchanges along Lag where they are needed? Chief Peguis, Regent and even Grassie could all use one and it would really help a road the entire eastern end of the city uses.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Listing in the JoC for the PTH 1 / PTH 16 interchange project. Still on hold. Grain of salt with these listings.

http://www.journalofcommerce.com/cgi...egion=prairies

OVERPASS, BRIDGE Proj: 9073385-9
Portage la Prairie, Division No 9 MB CONTEMPLATED
PTH 1W at PTH 16 (Yellowhead Hwy)
$50,000,000 est

Note: This project is on hold. Consultant has completed a functional study and design study. A Request For Proposals (RFP) will be issued by the owner for civil engineers to complete detailed design. Timeframe for the RFP is undetermined pending funding. The study will be used by the awarded civil engineer to determine design for the configuration of the interchange. Land acquisition will proceed pending completion of preliminary design. Further project schedules have not been set.

Project: construction of an interchange/grade separation at Provincial Trunk Highway (PTH) 16 and PTH 1 including the CNR mainline from PTH 1W.
I've lost count, but 3 more deaths at this intersection yesterday. I thought this was supposed to be a big priority at the time,

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
I don't understand why the city would build the ESP in the first place. It will run completely parallel to Plessis and dead end at Regent. Wouldn't it make more sense to add a few interchanges along Lag where they are needed? Chief Peguis, Regent and even Grassie could all use one and it would really help a road the entire eastern end of the city uses.
Hard to argue. Beef up Lagimodiere instead and then improve Plessis a bit to handle the more easterly local traffic. But the Winnipeg way is to build a whole bunch of half-baked routes instead.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2017, 11:46 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDBO View Post
I've lost count, but 3 more deaths at this intersection yesterday. I thought this was supposed to be a big priority at the time,
I thought that was still a thing.

I guess when the provincial government changed hands, it quietly got put on the back burner.

I'm also still waiting on word of an interchange on PTH 3 and PTH 100 at Oak Bluff. I briefly saw a design proposal, and then it later disappeared.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 2:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
I thought that was still a thing.

I guess when the provincial government changed hands, it quietly got put on the back burner.

I'm also still waiting on word of an interchange on PTH 3 and PTH 100 at Oak Bluff. I briefly saw a design proposal, and then it later disappeared.
Don't worry about Hwy 3 and Hwy 2 , the way it will go down is they will do a properly grade separated intersection at Hwy 3 and 100 and then in provincial thinking. Add lights to Hwy 2 and 100 lol

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 1:24 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Don't worry about Hwy 3 and Hwy 2 , the way it will go down is they will do a properly grade separated intersection at Hwy 3 and 100 and then in provincial thinking. Add lights to Hwy 2 and 100 lol
I'm not sure what it's about, but there's a contract out for intersection improvements for Highway 2 from 3-100.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 2:31 PM
What could go wrong?

Hwy 1 & 16 interchange is not on the radar at all anymore. These recent deaths might give it some more publicity but from what I hear the Govt is really focused on the South Perimeter right now.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 2:38 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Hwy 1 & 16 interchange is not on the radar at all anymore. These recent deaths might give it some more publicity but from what I hear the Govt is really focused on the South Perimeter right now.
That does make sense, IMO (that and fixing the problem at Pipeline Road). I would say that 1 and 16 should only come after the perimeter and Brandon section the TCH are grade separated.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 2:48 PM

^ Further to that point, the AADT on 16 is simply not that high... the urban stretches of the TCH should be higher priorities.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 3:11 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Further to that point, the AADT on 16 is simply not that high... the urban stretches of the TCH should be higher priorities.
I'd actually put the lights at Elie and Deacons Corner as a higher priority. Perhaps even the light at Virden.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Hard to argue. Beef up Lagimodiere instead and then improve Plessis a bit to handle the more easterly local traffic. But the Winnipeg way is to build a whole bunch of half-baked routes instead.
The challenge is the part of Winnipeg east of Lag is heavily underserved by regional roads. Yes, Lag needs to be beefed up but doing that and not proceeding with ESP still leaves a bunch of issues behind.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 2:03 AM

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Wow, I can only dream of the day Winnipeg will have more than one interchange being built at once. Good to know a city with 1/3 of the population is working on an effective road network AND is already studying a bus rapid transit system. That's not even considering all the interchanges with the regina bypass

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan