HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 8:00 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
maybe we will get some new lrt lines and some new subway lines....

The ones we have planned should be completed by then though...
I wouldn't hold my breath for the subway, they've been talking about the Downtown Relief Line since I lived in TO in the 80's and they just shelved study #1,872 due to the TTC budget shortfall.

If the St. Clair ROW fiasco is any indication, they'll be laying the last rails on the Malvern LRT the night of the opening ceremonies!

Last edited by habfanman; Nov 7, 2009 at 8:20 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 2:41 AM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
maybe we will get some new lrt lines and some new subway lines....

The ones we have planned should be completed by then though...
This will definitely be happening. A lot of the proposed Transit City upgrades are going to get pushed through quick to meet the deadline.

Hamilton is also going to have it's Rapid Transit program sped through.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 8:41 AM

Good for Toronto!!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 1:56 PM

Hamilton and GTA games

West Jet moved their hub from Hamilton Airport to Pearson and the number of flights dropped drastically.
When the games come and you want to gain cheaper accomodations Hamilton may be the better bet as there are still daily flights into Hamilton, and a city bus straight to the downtown (30 mins) from there there are regular GO service to Toronto. It is only an hr to Toronto by train.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 2:34 AM
Ciao tutti

Congrats guys.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 11:30 PM

Something really needs to happen with Hamilton...it's very ugly and wayyyyyyyyyy too many one way streets.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 12:28 AM
I am a typical

Great post. Succinct and on topic. Bravo!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 12:54 AM

Hey i'm just speaking the truth, it's like a rundown version of Kitchener.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 1:01 AM

Parts of Hamilton are rundown and there are too many one way streets, but c'mon, it's has absolutely nothing in common with Kitchener.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Parts of Hamilton are rundown and there are too many one way streets, but c'mon, it's has absolutely nothing in common with Kitchener.
Thanks for the compliment .

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchener-lrt View Post
Thanks for the compliment .
You misread me, I meant it more as in Kitchener is not like this

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 2:07 PM
It's Hammer Time

With the 2015 Pan Am Games it'll bring LRT to Hamilton. King and Main will go from one way street to two way street and LRT all along King St.

The entire West Harbourfront will undergo massive brownfield cleanup, there'll be a huge transformation within a few years thanks to this 2015 Pan Am Games that brings a deadline of July 10 2015 for everything. The deadline will put pressure on the federal, provincial and local government to meet the deadline.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 2:11 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
^ Don't forget beach volleyball powerhouse Brazil! If they even have beach volleyball at the Pan Am games.

I'm just puzzled how an event held in Winnipeg for $141 million in 1999 balloons to $2.4 billion in 16 years, I know there`s inflation but....
I TOTALLY AGREE!

Why do we have to wait for these stupid games before the government decides to finally invest much needed $$$ in our cities?

Whether it be the Olympics, Pan Am or Commonwealth games, the only real reason why any city bothers to host these events is for the built 'legacy' that lasts in the years that follow.

The actual Pan Am games themself are pretty unremarkable.

I say that if the GTA is lacking in olympic sized pools, stadiums, or mass transit, why not just build it without the hassle of catering to some international amateur sporting body.

Ditto for Vancouver.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 6:46 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post

"Some have questioned the investment in the two-week Games, which includes $1.4 billion for the sporting event itself and $1 billion for an athletes' village - expected to be turned into a mixed-income neighbourhood serviced by transit.
a billion dollars for an athletes village?....seriously?.....for the pan amateur games?.....i think the athletes were billeted in people's houses when the games were in winnipeg....maybe some were at the student residences at the u of m....there was certainly nothing specifically built for them.

i am surprised a city like toronto would have any interest in the pan am games....i would think they would be above such a low calibre event....they seriously are a bush league games....hopefully they leave a legacy at least...a new cfl venue in hamilton would be worthwhile.

rio hosted them and then got the olympics, so maybe that is what they are hoping...a big waste of money if you ask me.

winnipeg should retroactively ask for transit money.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 7:10 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
a billion dollars for an athletes village?....seriously?.....for the pan amateur games?.....i think the athletes were billeted in people's houses when the games were in winnipeg....maybe some were at the student residences at the u of m....there was certainly nothing specifically built for them.

i am surprised a city like toronto would have any interest in the pan am games....i would think they would be above such a low calibre event....they seriously are a bush league games....hopefully they leave a legacy at least...a new cfl venue in hamilton would be worthwhile.

rio hosted them and then got the olympics, so maybe that is what they are hoping...a big waste of money if you ask me.

winnipeg should retroactively ask for transit money.
Toronto needs the residential regardless of the Pan American Games. This way they get both demands filled. It's an huge opportunity to get this done while getting the government to pay for much of it. Waste of money? Not for Toronto it's not.

It's very true that Torontonians thumb their nose at almost everything unless it's global is scope or American. Toronto bidding for this lesser event fit the bill on a number of fronts though. There is a shocking lack of athletic infrastructure in Toronto, a desire to develop the East Bayfront where the athlete's village will be, and a need to fast track other plans that are still sitting on the drawing board.

Beyond this, it's seen as a stepping stone to landing the big prize: the summer Olympics. Notice that the athletic stadium is going to Hamilton! Torontonians are largely indifferent to this event, but wrapped it up as a Toronto bid to win.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 7:58 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Toronto needs the residential regardless of the Pan American Games. This way they get both demands filled. It's an huge opportunity to get this done while getting the government to pay for much of it. Waste of money? Not for Toronto it's not.

It's very true that Torontonians thumb their nose at almost everything unless it's global is scope or American. Toronto bidding for this lesser event fit the bill on a number of fronts though. There is a shocking lack of athletic infrastructure in Toronto, a desire to develop the East Bayfront where the athlete's village will be, and a need to fast track other plans that are still sitting on the drawing board.

Beyond this, it's seen as a stepping stone to landing the big prize: the summer Olympics. Notice that the athletic stadium is going to Hamilton! Torontonians are largely indifferent to this event, but wrapped it up as a Toronto bid to win.
If anything, the Pan Ams will kill any potential Olympic bid for a long time. Virtually none of the facilities being built will count towards an Olympic games and after the inevitable controversies, delays and cost overruns, Toronto taxpayers will scream "NO!!" at the first person who so much as mentions the words "Olympic" and "bid" in the same sentence!

Take the overpriced pools and condos as consolation- they're sorely needed. (well.. not the condos)

This is from Feb 2006 but since nothing has been done since then (note that everything promised for 2008 has quietly slipped into oblivion), it applies now more than ever:

Toronto lacking facilities for elite olympic athletes

By ROB GRANATSTEIN, CITY HALL BUREAU
www.torontosun.com

The absence of Toronto athletes from the Olympic Games -- never mind the winner's podium -- comes as no shock to sports leaders in this city.
"It's sad," said Brenda Librecz, general manager of parks and recreation. "But we're not surprised at all."
Librecz said for both summer and winter sports, Toronto doesn't have venues for training elite athletes.
"We're good at the playground level," Librecz said. "But not very good to the podium.
"Once you start moving a little bit ahead you have to leave Toronto," Librecz said.
That's shown up in Turin. North York freestyle skiier Veronika Bauer and Richmond Hill figure skater Emanuel Sandhu are the only two GTA athletes, outside of hockey, at the Olympics.
Bauer called Toronto's facilities the worst in Canada.
Ontario isn't blessed with Olympic-calibre mountains, but it also doesn't have a speed skating oval.
Toronto only has two 50-metre pools -- one leaking, the other, at the U of T, largely for the university.
City arenas are an average of 35 years old. New ones aren't in the works. There is $200 million worth of outstanding repair work.
"If you want to get into Olympic sports, you have to move from Toronto," Canadian Olympic Committee president Chris Rudge told the Sun's Steve Simmons.
Mayor David Miller wasn't willing to agree with Rudge.
"Chris Rudge should know better," Miller said yesterday. "He should know about the work we're doing to bring together all of Toronto's sports infrastructure. It would be nice to see the COC step up to the plate and be part of the solution."
New facilities are on the way. The $27-million Western Beaches Watercourse, under construction, will provide a training area for rowing, kayaking and Dragon Boating (not an Olympic sport).
There is a new soccer stadium at Exhibition Place, and fields are being prepared in the Portlands for soccer, lacrosse and field hockey, to be ready by 2008.

A Portlands indoor sports complex is in the plans -- that could have a speed skating oval -- and is supposed to be ready by March 2008.
The city is improving the track at Birchmount Stadium and updating some arenas.
Still, Karen Pitre, chair of the Toronto Sports Council, said the need for sport infrastructure is desperate.
"There's nothing here," she said. "The athletes all move to Calgary."
There isn't one multi-pad arena, elite-level gym or field or 50-metre pool east of Yonge St., Pitre said.
"You have a local park and a local arena," she said. "You just can't use it because all the better-organized sports push you out."
The provincial and federal governments need to step up and build the bigger regional-type facilities, Pitre said.
The new world-class soccer stadium is good, Pitre said, and Toronto has the Air Canada Centre, Rogers Centre and Rexall Centre. But the city is weak in premier public facilities and places for house leagues.
"If we can't accommodate kids who want to play house league, you turn them off sport before they even begin and that's a crime itself," she said.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 5:23 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfanman View Post
(well.. not the condos)
So, instead of housing a rapidly growing population in high-density inner-city condos & apartments (replacing derelict industrial areas that are blight on the built form, at that), would building over more farm land with more awful tract houses on the edge of the city be preferable? (while at the same time increasing the inaffordability of the inner-city due to the inventory of housing not keeping up with demand)

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 6:03 PM
I am the law!

It's evident Habsfan has some issues in regards to our city so no sense in feeding him.

Quote:
I think you're possibly confused. The billion dollars isn't being used to built housing specifically for atheles. It's being used to build market and non-market housing to temporarily house the atheletes. There is no reason why the governments wouldn't profit from the sale of the market housing.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 8:16 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
So, instead of housing a rapidly growing population in high-density inner-city condos & apartments (replacing derelict industrial areas that are blight on the built form, at that), would building over more farm land with more awful tract houses on the edge of the city be preferable? (while at the same time increasing the inaffordability of the inner-city due to the inventory of housing not keeping up with demand)
Yes, but the vast majority of the rapid growth is occurring in the GTA, and what happened to all the promises of building great public spaces and amenities? An energy plant? A fenced-off, white elephant film studio? Corus, that would look perfectly at home in a Vaughan industrial park? They were supposed to have learned from the mistakes made on the central waterfront. Instead, it's being slowly eaten up by the same-old, same-old: private development with token public bits inserted in the leftover spaces; more unaffordable yuppiefront with little strips of 'public' walkway between the condos with nothing that anyone will want to walk to.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 8:33 PM
sick transit, gloria

^Those things are in Employment Areas. Do I need to spell it out for you? Should I list some relevant policy documents?

Not every bit of the waterfront should be a park. Well, I guess some people believe that but don't have any clue of the economic reality Toronto is facing in terms of employment creation and retention.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada