HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:26 PM

I would really love the City to offer an incentive of some sort to Developers to get local or small businesses into their commercial spaces.

This can include small restaurants, book stores, neighborhood markets (bodegas), laundromats, and so forth.

I think it could possibly be done via property tax rebates or something similar.

The City has been working on Affordable Housing but it also needs to work on Affordable commercial space for the small businesses/mom and pops.

I think it would be great to see developers work to include local businesses in their projects to take advantage of the incentive.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I would really love the City to offer an incentive of some sort to Developers to get local or small businesses into their commercial spaces.

This can include small restaurants, book stores, neighborhood markets (bodegas), laundromats, and so forth.

I think it could possibly be done via property tax rebates or something similar.

The City has been working on Affordable Housing but it also needs to work on Affordable commercial space for the small businesses/mom and pops.

I think it would be great to see developers work to include local businesses in their projects to take advantage of the incentive.
Totally agree. While the modern corporation/franchise model has brought many positives to the world such as lower prices and more consistent quality it has made the United States more or less Anywhere America. Why travel to a new city if you see the same stores and essentially the same culture. You can drop into most strip malls anywhere and predict what stores will occupy it. This is terrible for tourism. Also, why would someone travel from the suburbs to SLC if they don’t offer unique experiences and establishments? They won’t.

One of the last bastions that hasn’t been completely destroyed by the franchise model is food. It is in the best interest of most citizens to avoid eating at franchises when local options are available. Food is a great way for cities to still offer unique and compelling reasons for people to live and visit.

I love this article. If you have never read it, it is worth your time.

http://http://nymag.com/urbanist/art...of-cities.html

Old Posted Today, 4:09 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post

The lack of this is what ruined SugarHouse. It's so goddamn sterile and boring now and it's a direct result of losing all the local small businesses that made up the backbone of the neighborhood before the most recent redevelopment.

Old Posted Today, 7:29 AM

The two main shopping centers in Sugarhouse in all of their chain store glory have been around since the 90s.

Old Posted Today, 5:13 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
http://https://www.sltrib.com/news/2...ders-may-have/

Bummer about Ken Sanders.

“Great cities aren’t created by chain restaurants and retailers and cookie-cutter shops and services,” Sanders said. “The unique, indigenous businesses that come out of nowhere are what make great cities interesting in terms of art and culture, and I think bookstores are part of that fabric.”
He took aim at city and state economic-development policies for doling out millions of dollars in tax breaks and incentives to online retail giants such as Amazon and eBay to entice them to locate offices and jobs in Utah.
“Why isn’t there a collateral fund to be split among local homegrown businesses?” the bookseller asked.
“I’m not trying to say I get $5 million, OK?" Sanders continued. "But what about $500,000 or $50,000 or $5,000? And I don’t mean this just for me. I mean this for all local, homegrown businesses.”
There are a number of programs. The most prominent of which is the Economic Development Loan Fund. Last count I think it had a hand in 40 restaurants and bars. And who knows what else. Part of the battle is getting the word out and letting people know what incentives are there. The EDLF is probably the most progressive City loan program I've seen in the entire country.

Old Posted Today, 9:35 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
The two main shopping centers in Sugarhouse in all of their chain store glory have been around since the 90s.
Your point?

The two shopping centers have nothing to do with my post. Even when they came in the 1990s, SugarHouse still had a bevy of unique shops and stores that you really couldn't find very often in Salt Lake. Guess what? Those shops are gone - forced out by the development on the corner of 2100 South and Highland Drive many years ago.

Do you know, in 2001, over 90% of the stores on, or around, that block were locally-owned businesses? Shops like the Christian Science Reading Room, Cockers, Haight, The Free Speech Zone, Orion's Music, Wizards and Dreams and multiple others.

Today? In just that little area, there's only a handful of local shops and restaurants and even fewer shops and restaurants that are just unique to the neighborhood.

SugarHouse has lost a good amount of its vibe and big reason for this is because The Vue made it impossible for these other places to operate once it was built.

I don't like the SugarHouse shopping plazas. So, I am not sure if you somehow believe I do but I find them tacky, ugly and auto-centric. But at least I could reason that SugarHouse still had that one block that separated it from basically every other neighborhood in the Salt Lake Valley outside, 9th and 9th, with its total uniqueness.

The shopping plazas aside, SugarHouse was really the only place in the metro that had the type of vibe you'd get in a hip neighborhood in a major US city. It was an experience so foreign to a good amount of what we have in Utah and it's completely gone - gutted.

Now we've got Buffalo Wild Wings and Cubbys! Hooray! I'm just glad they haven't decided to go in and renovate the north-end of 2100 South because the second they do, you know those unique shops are going to be forced out, as well. And frankly, with how the growth is going in SugarHouse, I absolutely expect that will be the next step. That whole block west of Wells Fargo is filled with older, smaller buildings - just like the block where The Vue is now.

I'm sure they're gunnin' to demolish those buildings and develop another monstrosity so we can get a Chili's and an In-N-Out Burger into the neighborhood!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West