HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
It's really to bad that the west side of that station is already developed. With that many lines coming together there, that could be one serious TOD, hopefully the east side will redevelop into something great.
I agree. I hope it's enough to give the Market Station is South Salt Lake life again. That whole area is primed for redevelopment.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 12:20 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Wait! Front runner doesn't use the same ticket system as Trax does it? What I meant is. Will I be able to, lets stay, buy a round trip at temple square, and then transfer to a street car. Or will I have to buy a separate pass. I'm pretty sure that front runner requires a separate pass... But I could be wrong.

Iv been meaning to take the front runner out to Farmington to see a movie... Just to try it out.. But have yet to do so :-(

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
I wondered that myself, if it would be a three track system. Yes land would be the biggest issue, as I would see the street car track being east of the existing tracks.
So I am quessing that as of right now there isn't plans to build a third platform, like Fashion Place.
This image is from a PDF on http://shstreetcar.com. This is just a proposal dated December 2011 so the actual plans may not include a new platform.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Wait! Front runner doesn't use the same ticket system as Trax does it? What I meant is. Will I be able to, lets stay, buy a round trip at temple square, and then transfer to a street car. Or will I have to buy a separate pass. I'm pretty sure that front runner requires a separate pass... But I could be wrong.

Iv been meaning to take the front runner out to Farmington to see a movie... Just to try it out.. But have yet to do so :-(
If you buy a $2.35 TRAX ticket you'll be able to use that toward the purchase of your $2.35-$5.10 (depending on how far you travel) FrontRunner ticket.

If you buy a FrontRunner ticket then you can use that on TRAX without having to do anything else.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBell View Post
This image is from a PDF on http://shstreetcar.com. This is just a proposal dated December 2011 so the actual plans may not include a new platform.

It makes a lot of sense having a third track at central point like fashion place west does. The stations at the end of the line are usually a place where TRAX waits until it starts going the other direction. You can't have any trains waiting on the tracks at Central Point since that is one of the busiest stations of all. I guess the Rock Church won't be around for too much longer

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 4:18 AM

Airport TRAX Line photo update

edit

Last edited by joscar; Jul 17, 2014 at 10:14 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 1:45 PM

Bikeways a glimpse of Salt Lake City’s two-wheeled future

(Al Hartmann | The Salt Lake Tribune) A bicyclist rides along Salt Lake City's separated bikeway along 300 East and 700 South. It's the first in the state.

Cycling » New lanes on 300 East may be a model used across Salt Lake City’s downtown.

By Tony Semerad, The Salt Lake Tribune

Experimental bicycle lanes along 300 East in Salt Lake City are drawing lots of feedback from residents, most of it positive, from what city officials say.

With the blessing of the city council and Mayor Ralph Becker, an unabashed cycling enthusiast, the city is about a month into trying out the two new lane configurations, designed to test ways of making biking on urban streets safer for two-wheeled traffic.

Depending how the pilot project goes, residents could see similar lanes being added throughout the downtown in future years.

A so-called buffered bike lane runs between 800 and 900 South on 300 East, amounting to a striped buffer painted on the pavement on either side of a conventional bike lane.

City workers are also trying out a cycle track, between 600 and 800 South, which locates the bike lane next to the curb and puts a buffer and parking spaces for cars between the bike lane and the main roadway...

Will North Temple overhaul help residents get more exercise?

(Scott Sommerdorf | The Salt Lake Tribune) The new sidewalks like these near the popular Red Iguana restaurant seem pedestrian-friendly. Barbara Brown, an environmental psychologist with the University of Utah Department of Family and Consumer Studies, is leading research to determine whether walkable neighborhoods impact health. She will rig hundreds of participants who live near North Temple with devices that will monitor their movements now and a year later after North Temple project has been completed and the place becomes a pedestrian's paradise, Friday, August 11, 2012.

North Temple » U. researchers are delving into how construction will affect residents’ activities and attitudes.

By Brian Maffly, The Salt Lake Tribune

University of Utah researchers are taking advantage of a major Salt Lake City corridor’s overhaul to document whether a pedestrian-friendly environment actually gets people out of their cars and exercising more.

As the $290 million renovation of North Temple and installation of the airport TRAX line near completion later this year, principal investigator Barbara Brown needs a few hundred more residents to agree to occasional interviews — and to wear electronic monitoring devices that track movement.

University of Utah researchers are recruiting Salt Lake City residents who live within 1.2 miles of North Temple between 200 West and 2200 West for a study of how the street’s renovation will affect their interactions with the neighborhood. Interested residents can call 801-585-3754 or e-mail mapstudy@fcs.utah.edu.

The data will help determine how residents’ activities and their intensity level change after North Temple is equipped with wide multi-use sidewalks, bike lanes, a multi-use path, fewer traffic lanes, trees and a light-rail line, according to Brown, a professor of family and consumer studies and principal investigator on the study...

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54...dents.html.csp

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.farnes View Post
It makes a lot of sense having a third track at central point like fashion place west does. The stations at the end of the line are usually a place where TRAX waits until it starts going the other direction. You can't have any trains waiting on the tracks at Central Point since that is one of the busiest stations of all. I guess the Rock Church won't be around for too much longer
I'll try to get to Central Pointe on Sunday and take some pictures if there has been any development/construction. Gotta get a decent camera first...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I'll try to get to Central Pointe on Sunday and take some pictures if there has been any development/construction. Gotta get a decent camera first...
I just rode by today and as of today no construction has started on the central pointe station itself

Old Posted Aug 24, 2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountyLemonade View Post
If you buy a $2.35 TRAX ticket you'll be able to use that toward the purchase of your $2.35-$5.10 (depending on how far you travel) FrontRunner ticket.

If you buy a FrontRunner ticket then you can use that on TRAX without having to do anything else.
County Lemonade is right, and it shows what a pain it can be to transfer from TRAX to FrontRunner. Especially when you get off TRAX, see FrontRunner sitting there ready to go at any minute, and you need to find a ticket kiosk to pay for your upgrade.

If you can't tell, I've missed that train for this very reason. Wish you could buy the FrontRunner fare at TRAX platforms.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2012, 9:31 PM

Quote:
County Lemonade is right, and it shows what a pain it can be to transfer from TRAX to FrontRunner. Especially when you get off TRAX, see FrontRunner sitting there ready to go at any minute, and you need to find a ticket kiosk to pay for your upgrade.

If you can't tell, I've missed that train for this very reason. Wish you could buy the FrontRunner fare at TRAX platforms.
I may be mistaken, but I think the newer ticket vending machines on TRAX platforms (the ones that accept credit cards) will allow you to purchase FrontRunner tickets.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 4:37 PM
Lurker

FrontRunner fare matrix. Posted on the "Ride UTA" Facebook page.

One stop: $2.35

Provo-Pleasant View: $9.50

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCdude View Post
FrontRunner fare matrix. Posted on the "Ride UTA" Facebook page.

One stop: $2.35

Provo-Pleasant View: $9.50

Why is Pleasant View on the matrix? I thought they stopped running trains to that station. Do you still have to pay a FrontRunner fare to get shuttled up there on a bus from Ogden?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 5:30 PM

My questions on the matrix is:

Is it free to take Frontrunner from North Temple to the Central Station? Looking at the matrix it doesn't appear to have any cost associated with it.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
My questions on the matrix is:

Is it free to take Frontrunner from North Temple to the Central Station? Looking at the matrix it doesn't appear to have any cost associated with it.
I saw that too. I am guessing that people coming from the north would be upset if they had to pay an additional $.55 for the same trip to Central Station just because they opened a new station along the route.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 5:51 PM

Are these the prices for day passes (24 hour period)?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 7:08 PM
Bring out the cranes...

$9.50. Not bad. Alot cheaper then gas.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 8:18 PM

FrontRunner south was supposed to begin full time testing today!

There's some great photos on UTA's website

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 8:55 PM

A FrontRunner fare (as with most other fares in the system) lasts 2.5 hours.

If you and another person were to go from Ogden to Salt Lake and back it'd run you $20.40 total. That's when it's cheaper to buy yourself the all-day, system-wide $14 group pass. Although it's for four people, you can see how much more cost effective it is to use that for even two individuals. I'd be surprised if they keep the group pass that cheap once the Provo extension opens.

According to the comments on the photo of the fare matrix on Facebook, they're aiming to reopen Pleasant View for December. Wonder if they got the track issues with Union Pacific cleared up between Ogden and Pleasant View.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 9:00 PM
Lurker

Maybe they'll re-open service to Pleasant View. There are twice as many destinations along the line, and consequently more demand for a station there. If they do re-open it, it would probably be limited to a couple daily trips.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West