HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
I've been downtown on Santa parade night (100,000 people) which coincided with an event at the Capitol Theatre as well as a concert somewhere else (Tide & Bore maybe?)
I had only a little trouble parking.
I've been parking downtown for half a century and cannot recall EVER not being able to park.
And I've never been booted.
Sure it will be a mess for the first few months. Of course it will. It's all new to everyone.
After that it will sort itself out, hopefully with enhanced bus service and a shuttle to the Coliseum but if no shuttle or bus improvements, well, I won't lie awake at night worried about it. I'll find a way.
(I hate to pay for cabs though.)
Parking lot owners make an exception for the Santa Clause Parade. It's the season. They will not be doing the same for the games, and Shows that happen at the Even centre. It's been pointed out before.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 12:13 PM

I still think in the long run whatever Sobeys is calling their company now a days will end up tearing down 1222 main, plus that other brick building behind it, and the old sobeys land and build a structure. I just can’t see them putting the money into redoing 1222 like 1234 since it’s atill not full.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTom View Post
I still think in the long run whatever Sobeys is calling their company now a days will end up tearing down 1222 main, plus that other brick building behind it, and the old sobeys land and build a structure. I just can’t see them putting the money into redoing 1222 like 1234 since it’s atill not full.
They moved there tenants to 1234 after that building was renovated. They where suposed to renovate 1222 like they did to 1234 but the plans stalled. So I'm guessing no tenants wanted to wait the time it took for it to be renovated If there are already spaces available in Moncton that are ready to move in. There is also the fact 1222 Has no tenants listed in the building but has no LEASING OPPORTUNITIES Tab like 1234 does on Crombie Reit's listing site.

Last edited by Scarface; Mar 24, 2018 at 3:18 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 4:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I doubt that Crombie wants to tear down 1222 Main. I think it more likely that they are holding off on doing anything in the short term, and plan on redeveloping the building, perhaps as a part of a larger project including a common commercial pedestal (at the back) and also perhaps an attached parking structure, especially if Weldon street gets extended.

Refer to my fanciful diagram below (previously posted).

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 5:06 PM

I think that's the perfect scenario. Instead of just being next to the Events Centre, 1222 Main would suddenly be on the corner of a major downtown intersection. Also the perfect location for a parking garage.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I doubt that Crombie wants to tear down 1222 Main. I think it more likely that they are holding off on doing anything in the short term, and plan on redeveloping the building, perhaps as a part of a larger project including a common commercial pedestal (at the back) and also perhaps an attached parking structure, especially if Weldon street gets extended.

Refer to my fanciful diagram below (previously posted).

Your drawing reminds me of plans that had surfaced before they renovated 1234 that had the 2 buildings actually Joined together in an L Shape. I'm going to guess that taking 1234 apart scared them from doing it though.

But I do hope something similar to your drawing does happen.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 2:53 PM

Anybody see the Easter themed lights on the events center last night?

https://youtu.be/R9AOIz2k0II

Last edited by RedBall; Mar 30, 2018 at 3:21 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 2:04 PM

I find it odd that for the "potential" last series at the Coliseum (but I do believe they can pull it off tonight), not a single game home managed to get over 3500 people.

I was checking attendance of previous playoff years, and this is the worse "average" since 99.

With higher ticket prices and the whole parking situation, I hope the SMG and the team has a marketing plan figured out to bring new crowd next year or else, Moncton will start popping on @EmptySeatsPics

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 2:08 PM

Hopefully there's more people like me, as it's the Coliseum itself that keeps me away and plan to attend as many games as possible in the new arena.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 2:16 PM
ハルウララ

Attendances in the first round of CHL playoffs are always lame-duck because 95% of the time the series is already determined before it's even started.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 2:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Attendances in the first round of CHL playoffs are always lame-duck because 95% of the time the series is already determined before it's even started.
It is a well known peculiarity that first round attendance in Moncton is always bad.

There could be an overlay here this season though. Traditionally, seasons ticket holders can apply the money spent on playoff tickets not actually used (because the Cats have been knocked out) to the cost of the subsequent regular seasons ticket package. I've always appreciated this.

This year however, a lot of seasons ticket holders may have refrained from purchasing playoff ticket packages just because they have either decided not to renew their seasons tickets at the new events centre (parking), or are unsure as to whether or not they will renew. In this scenario, an early exit by the Wildcats would have meant a lot of wasted money.

I must admit I thought long and hard about getting my playoff package this year for this very reason. I finally relented just because I wanted to keep my place in the queue for a seasons ticket holder parking pass at the new events centre. There are currently about 400 (paid) reserved parking spaces available for Wildcats season ticket holders in the neighbourhood of the events centre. These will be allocated on the basis of seniority. I am a 12 year season ticket holder, so I don't know where that places me on the list. If I can get a reserved parking spot I will renew my seasons ticket. If I can't, I will likely cancel my seasons ticket.

There's not much point being a seasons ticket holder if you don't have assured parking..........

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 3:34 PM

They dont seems to always be "that" bad:

First Round attendance average
2018: 3324
2016: 3660 (got to 3rd round)
2015: 2957 (got to 3rd round)
2014: 3412 (1st round exit)
2013: 4171 (1st round exit)
2012: 3972 (1st round exit)
2011: 3808 (1st round exit)
2010: 5167 (President Cup)
2009: 4035 (got to 2nd round)
2007: 4204 (1st round exit)

My point was that this could potentially be the last series at the old Coliseum, and people dont seems to care too much.

But now by watching the slow declines in attendance, it makes wonder how they'll managed to bring in the new crowd, as MonctonRad pointed out, a lot of STH are thinking about dropping their membership, and the City seems to be hoping that the "Build it and they will come" trick will work getting new and younger fans.

With the new Centre, bringing more and bigger acts, special events,etc. people will have to choose where they spend their entertainment money (potentially also include also dinner, parking, drinks after,etc) and unless something is done, it wont be on the Wildcats.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 3:43 PM
ハルウララ

For the sake of this discussion I will add who they played as that will also affect attendance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
2018: 3324 [RIMOUSKI]
2016: 3660 [VICTORIAVILLE]
2015: 2957 [CHICOUTIMI]
2014: 3412 [BLAINVILLE]
2013: 4171 [VICTORIAVILLE]
2012: 3972 [HALIFAX]
2011: 3808 [LEWISTON]
2010: 5167 [CAPE BRETON]
2009: 4035 [PEI]
2007: 4204 [HALIFAX]
Quote:
My point was that this could potentially be the last series at the old Coliseum, and people dont seems to care too much.
It's not that great of an arena, if i'm being honest.

Quote:
But now by watching the slow declines in attendance, it makes wonder how they'll managed to bring in the new crowd, as MonctonRad pointed out, a lot of STH are thinking about dropping their membership, and the City seems to be hoping that the "Build it and they will come" trick will work getting new and younger fans.
As stated before in this thread it will be about shifting the attendances from older crowds to younger crowds. From suburban crowds to urban crowds. From auto-centric crowds to walkers and transit users. The transition will take a few years. This has actually been pretty noticeable in SJ for the past few seasons as their branding has shifted to a Port City-heavy, urban-focused branding.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 9:11 PM

Quote:
They dont seems to always be "that" bad:

2018: 3324
2016: 3660 (got to 3rd round)
2015: 2957 (got to 3rd round)
2014: 3412 (1st round exit)
2013: 4171 (1st round exit)
2012: 3972 (1st round exit)
2011: 3808 (1st round exit)
2010: 5167 (President Cup)
2009: 4035 (got to 2nd round)
2007: 4204 (1st round exit)

With the new Centre, bringing more and bigger acts, special events,etc. people will have to choose where they spend their entertainment money (potentially also include also dinner, parking, drinks after,etc) and unless something is done, it wont be on the Wildcats.
There's a lot of variables here. For example in 2015 that number includes a 6pm start time on a thursday for a team that had home ice advantage, this was due to a scheduling conflict at the coliseum.

At one point in time the season tickets used to include the first 2 games of the playoffs, I'm not entirely sure why they stopped this since there is always a struggle having a short time to advertise the games once the schedule is determined, along with the fact that if you do not have home ice advantage the games will be during the week. A lot of the corporate tickets do not get playoff packs. Monctonians love "free things" & giveaways, so these tickets would absolutely get used.

The games this year were during the week for game 3 & 4, after a terrible second half by the Cats there wasn't much to drum up interest other than the star phenom on the other team in Lafreniere. The sunday game 6 was at 4pm on easter sunday. Looks like too many folks were not willing to adjust their easter dinner plans to accomodate the game. I was honestly disappointed by this. As there was a sellout crowd in chicoutimi for a game at the same time. The fans who didnt go missed out a thrilling finish, and the 3500 there were louder than many regular season crowds of 5000-6000

Junior hockey in general is in abit of a burnt out stage, the novelty has worn off abit from the earlier days. I think most teams are hoping to turn things around by improving the in game experience. This is really where I see the events centre helping out. Even most of the older rinks the Q have replaced their video boards with new HD screens.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 1:57 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, the major junior hockey era at the Coliseum isn't over quite yet:

Wildcats steal game seven in Rimouski 6-3!!!

Our reward - next series is against Blainville.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 2:21 AM

That's awesome!
I'll try maybe making it for Game#2 (I live 20m from Blainville). I'm sure I still have my red Memorial Cup shirt somewhere

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 1:03 PM

As I recall, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, the Wildcats are ALWAYS a hard sell in round 1 and always have been, forever.
There might be very good reasons to worry about their fan base, but I don't think round 1 attendance figures is one of those reasons.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 1:24 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
As I recall, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, the Wildcats are ALWAYS a hard sell in round 1 and always have been, forever.
Every CHL team is a hard sell in the first round. London wasn't selling out games this year in the first round and they sell out practically every regular season game.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 7:12 PM

Once again...and hopefully for the last time..

Radical Speed Sport has struck again and the Cats will have to play game 5 (if necessary) at the Aitken Center in Fredericton due to the Ice Surface being unavailable. Likely costing the tax payers $100,000. The schedule has been announced on the Q site but the Wildcats haven't release any official information on this...only announcing game 3 & 4...for reasons unknown.

Bring on the new events centre!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 7:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
Once again...and hopefully for the last time..

Radical Speed Sport has struck again and the Cats will have to play game 5 (if necessary) at the Aitken Center in Fredericton due to the Ice Surface being unavailable. Likely costing the tax payers $100,000. The schedule has been announced on the Q site but the Wildcats haven't release any official information on this...only announcing game 3 & 4...for reasons unknown.

Bring on the new events centre!
Is this a 2:3:2 series? If not, then game five would be in Blainville.

I suppose that the Cats might not have said anything (yet) because a game five is speculatory at this point.

I agree that this will be the best thing about moving to the events centre (no more worries about double booking the Coliseum)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces