HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 4:10 PM

Please follow on Twitter @UrbanizeLA, Facebook and Instagram.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 10:59 PM

Watching the news and hearing about the skyscraper mess going on in the bay area with one of their fairly new towers sinking and leaning, a reporter was in Westwood asking about how people felt about it.

The response of one idiot

"Well maybe the state needs to have a moratorium on these big buildings until we figure out what the problem is, there a lot of these being built downtown, we should make sure they are safe"

If I had enough time to get there, I would have kicked his A$$ for even uttering those words. Giving the DA** nimbys ammo and ideas for their already ridiculous arguments.

IF I hear a nimby use this as their argument for any future development, I'll personally pay them a house visit.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Looking at the Metropolis web cam this morning, it appears that we're seeing 1st floor decking on the tallest tower at Oceanwide Plaza. If there are any local photogs who have time to mozy on down to confirm, that would be wicked awesome, as they say in Bahston.
You're in luck. This was taken yesterday in the afternoon. I was only able to quickly snap it while driving but it's definitely above ground! You can also see that the towers are starting to rise above the podium on Circa. I was driving down Fig and it felt so different without the huge gap on the right. It's going to be such a hit. I'm willing to bet that the Entertainment District section of Figueroa is going to be the biggest retail corridor in Socal. Rivaling even Americana and the Promenade. It'll be our version of Market St.

Assuming Hanzen and Fig+Pico start up in 2017 as planned I may even invest in it

Untitled by mojeda101, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 1:12 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

^Yeah!!!! That's what I'm talkin' about!!!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 2:49 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Hey guys and gals, while Palmer's political contributions also make me gag, this is not a political site, so let's keep the posts directly related to development activity.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Watching the news and hearing about the skyscraper mess going on in the bay area with one of their fairly new towers sinking and leaning, a reporter was in Westwood asking about how people felt about it.

The response of one idiot

"Well maybe the state needs to have a moratorium on these big buildings until we figure out what the problem is, there a lot of these being built downtown, we should make sure they are safe"

If I had enough time to get there, I would have kicked his A$$ for even uttering those words. Giving the DA** nimbys ammo and ideas for their already ridiculous arguments.

IF I hear a nimby use this as their argument for any future development, I'll personally pay them a house visit.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. This is basically a story that's been blown way out of proportion. The sinking and tilting is not as dramatic as one would think after hearing in on the news. Besides I am pretty certain that the process can be significantly slowed if not stopped and reversed. It's just a "reporter" who knows nothing about engineering, geology and high-rise construction illiciting the opinions of equally ill informed individuals. Of course, some idiotic NIMBY will reference it but I don't think it's going to stop the construction of high-rises because that's driven by ecomonics. I remember after 9-11 some people were speculating if another skyscraper would ever be built in the US again. People who are bad at math are notorious drama queens.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 6:33 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

There's also significant considerations in that specific location, where that building was built on landfill, so is expected to sink somewhat - as all large buildings are. That one building shouldn't affect buildings statewide.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 12:31 AM
BANNED

Supply and demand working in DTLA

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...nap-story.html

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 4:14 AM
life is good

4th and Broadway

4th & Broadway #dtla by robb, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
4th and Broadway

Quote:
K-Swiss Moving Headquarters to Historic Downtown Los Angeles

K-Swiss for years has had its headquarters in Westlake Village, which straddles Ventura and Los Angeles counties. But the shoe manufacturer, originally known for its leather tennis shoes, is moving down the highway and into new headquarters in the historic PacMutual building on Sixth Street. The building, which is really three interconnected buildings constructed between 1908 and 1926, is already the headquarters for online clothing concern Nasty Gal, which has more than 50,000 of creative space in the complex.

This is a big move for the shoe maker, which was acquired three years ago by Korean-based E.Land Group. "As our organization grows, we feel there will be an intrinsic benefit to immersing in the progressive culture of downtown Los Angeles," said Truman Kim, chairman and chief executive of K-Swiss Global Brands. "Our new location will afford us a better opportunity to identify market trends where they happen."

K-Swiss will be moved in by the beginning of next year. Initial plans include global offices and dedicated showrooms for each brand as well as an innovative design facility.

Quote:
Warner Music Group Considering Leaving Burbank for Los Angeles' Downtown Arts District

Warner Music Group is considering moving its west coast headquarters from Burbank to downtown Los Angeles, Billboard has learned. According to sources, executives at the company, which encompasses labels Warner Bros. Records, Atlantic and Rhino, among others, are eyeing the Ford Factory in downtown's newly reinvigorated arts district. The new west coast headquarters would also move other WMG businesses -- like publishing company Warner/Chappell -- into a unified space, according to sources.

Currently, Warner Bros. Records (which counts Green Day, Michael Buble, Jason Derulo and Red Hot Chili Peppers on its roster) is based out of an iconic ski lodge-like structure on the Warner Bros. Studios lot (the lease expires in late 2017), while Atlantic and Rhino reside across the 134 highway on Olive Ave.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 2:17 PM

Glad to see companies moving downtown. A fashion related company like K-Swiss (who would have guessed they were still around?) and hopefully an entertainment/creative company like Warner are fantastic fits for where downtown is and wants to go. Plus these are the types of companies that will bring employees that will move downtown and fill up all these buildings currently under construction.

But as cool as the arts district is, locations like the Ford Factory are completely auto dependent. At least until the red line hopefully gets extended another stop. When options like the Broadway Trade Center open, they will be real game changers. Plus what about all those one and two story buildings around downtown? We'd like to see them be developed but the next best thing would be to have them fill up with businesses. There's just so much opportunity downtown and it's great that it finally appears to be on its way to being realized.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Offering free first month's rent has been around for a long time so I don't get why people are acting like it's such big news. Didn't most of the Palmer buildings offer rent concessions?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
Offering free first month's rent has been around for a long time so I don't get why people are acting like it's such big news. Didn't most of the Palmer buildings offer rent concessions?
My thoughts exactly. This is a very common practice for apartments in lease up. Strikes me as pure clickbait.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
Is anywhere in LA outside of downtown doing it?

Also I looked at the apartments above Whole Foods and they never once mentioned free rent. In fact they suggested that I should look somewhere else. I did end up moving somewhere else and am very happy where I am but in retrospect I feel slighted.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 7:03 PM

Lots of dirt being moved at the Mack Urban site on Grand. The hole is already 5-10 feet deep and there literally was no hole there a day or two ago. In contrast to many other sites, Oceanwide for example, there is no forgotten building foundation under the pavement slowing them down.

Looks like 4 cranes are up at Oceanwide with one more being assembled. Also they're on their second day of a fairly large concrete pour.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 11:03 PM

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Is anywhere in LA outside of downtown doing it?
Yes. For example, Access Culver City is offering one free month.
http://www.accessculvercity.com/

I have worked in the multi-family space all over the country and seen it everywhere.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
4th and Broadway
This is fantastic, except of course for the fact that it's actually 223 W 4th Street, not East. Well, they got it on the right building anyhow!

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 6:43 AM

Brandon R. Guzman-Johnson, facebook

Brandon R. Guzman-Johnson, facebook

Old Posted Aug 6, 2016, 4:45 PM
LADevelopmentMap

^^^^^^ what!!!!?????

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations