HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Why can't we get tall towers in Midtown? I don't get it. If this was Austin, it would be a 800-900 footer...ugh.
Too much space for development, too easy to round up mega parcels, too expensive to build higher, too costly to not get new tenants in the new build earlier on... Atlanta is all about preserving costs to corporations.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 9:52 PM

NS Headquarters Building

Great ready for two 23 story towers. Doesn't get any more Atlanta than that.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 10:27 PM

...designed by HKS and Pickard Chilton.

Tall or not, I think the design will be top notch.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
Great ready for two 23 story towers. Doesn't get any more Atlanta than that.
I'm afraid you are right. Nothing nice and tall is being build in Atlanta any more. In my opinion only Lilli and Star Metals are something that looks nice and different.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.ARCH View Post
...designed by HKS and Pickard Chilton.

Tall or not, I think the design will be top notch.
Those are the same that designed 8th & West proposal

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown View Post
DRC November Recap......Midtown is hot hot hot.

https://www.midtownatl.com/about/new...2018-drc-recap
Really looking forward to that Peachtree project to break ground!!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 11:53 PM

What’s Aspire Westside at 900 Joseph E Lowery??
https://aca3.accela.com/ATLANTA_GA/C...howInspection=

GSU filed for road construction and townhomes at krog also filed yesterday.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 12:16 AM
Topher’s 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Really looking forward to that Peachtree project to break ground!!
Well, if they would stop sending them back to the drawing board, they could get on with the permitting process, for every little thing. Why doesn’t the permit process not include everything they need to do to get the damn building built?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelra View Post
I'm afraid you are right. Nothing nice and tall is being build in Atlanta any more. In my opinion only Lilli and Star Metals are something that looks nice and different.
I disagree on the design aspect. I think NCR and the GT Portman building look great but getting another couple 24 story towers is frustrating, even though I’m confident they’ll look good.

That said, I can’t complain about the densification of Midtown, which is happening at a ridiculous pace. It’s something MANY cities envy.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk1292000 View Post
I disagree on the design aspect. I think NCR and the GT Portman building look great but getting another couple 24 story towers is frustrating, even though I’m confident they’ll look good.

That said, I can’t complain about the densification of Midtown, which is happening at a ridiculous pace. It’s something MANY cities envy.
Pretty sure Ponce & 3rd has 50-75’ elevation gain compared with NCR, which should help.

IMO, Midtown is going to kick itself going shorter on more than a handful of these buildings. There will eventually be a day when building taller will not be easy when 20 story developments surrounding a parking podium engulf the majority (if not all of) a block. That said, surrounding neighborhoods (including / especially downtown) will take on the new demand that midtown will not be able to continue to supply

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 1:33 AM

I remember when they were designing NCR and it was supposed to be a signature tower in midtown and its nether tall or something special at least for me and GT Portman kinda the same, those buildings blend in and don't really stands out in my opinion.
I agree whit you about densification, I only wish that when we have a chance to build nice tall tower we are loosing it again with another 20 story building.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:22 AM

Man, I feel like I've posted this a hundred times, but Midtown has a maximum FAR of around 10 (square footage cannot be more than 10x the land area) so it will never get anything more than 20-30 floors unless it's a skinny tower on a large lot with a lot of empty space around it like One Atlantic, in which case everyone will be complaining about wasted land / parking garages / etc. You'll see taller towers whenever Downtown makes a real comeback, its maximum FAR is more like 30-40.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
Man, I feel like I've posted this a hundred times, but Midtown has a maximum FAR of around 10 (square footage cannot be more than 10x the land area) so it will never get anything more than 20-30 floors unless it's a skinny tower on a large lot with a lot of empty space around it like One Atlantic, in which case everyone will be complaining about wasted land / parking garages / etc. You'll see taller towers whenever Downtown makes a real comeback, its maximum FAR is more like 30-40.
Amen! All the towers that are tall in midtown either take up a small portion of their lot, or they bought density from properties in midtown like the commercial row/museum at Peachtree and 10th or the ga tech medical building at 7th and w Peachtree. People will keep being disappointed if they keep having unrealistic expectations of what can be built in midtown

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:23 AM

Complaining about the height of a Fortune 500 HQ being built in your city is such a first world problem. But regardless, I'll be disappointed if it's some more squat bullshit.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Those are the same that designed 8th & West proposal
Great point !

Hard to imagine major variances from their work at the now named "901 West Peachtree". Maybe this same team also worked on the Spring Street NCR buildings Cousins also developed

https://www.cousins.com/property/901-west-peachtree

btw, good luck to all Amazon hires who'll be dealing with New York and D.C area snow as well as costs of living.

AMZN might have really been "transformational" not just in geographically re-shaping ATL areas, but in politically moving GOP Georgia toward DEM blue.

I do understand their desire to more readily seek federal government spending budgets

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Peachtree View Post
Great point !

Hard to imagine major variances from their work at the now named "901 West Peachtree". Maybe this same team also worked on the Spring Street NCR buildings Cousins also developed

btw, good luck to all Amazon hires who'll be dealing with New York and D.C area snow as well as costs of living.

AMZN might have really been "transformational" not just in geographically re-shaping ATL areas, but in politically moving GOP Georgia toward DEM blue.

I do understand their desire to more readily seek federal government spending budgets
I agree they could have done big things for the city, i.e. they would have gotten the Connector capped in some parts at least I'm sure.

I also agree about that politically, Kemp is relatively unpopular for a Republican in this state, but the race in general is getting much tighter and dropping in 25,000-50,000 likely DEM leans into the state or at least half presuming a chunk already live here may have gone a long way to shaping the state.

The politics of this state are very unfavorable though, so I understand why Amazon probably wants no part of it until GA shifts, particularly with someone like Kemp likely to be Gov. They have no desire to be a punching bag and have things change on them once they get here.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Peachtree View Post
Great point !

Hard to imagine major variances from their work at the now named "901 West Peachtree".

Exactly what I was thinking.. and based on the info in that link, 901 West Peachtree is projected to be 472k sqft and cost $200 million to develop while the NS headquarters is supposed to be 1 million sqft and $575 million to develop.

I've been wondering why it would cost so much more for the developer to build just a few blocks down the street, with the same architects, on the same building type, and at the same time.. I speculate that they are either burying a ton of parking, or they are going taller (and therefore costlier), or maybe both? But it's just a hunch.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Amen! All the towers that are tall in midtown either take up a small portion of their lot, or they bought density from properties in midtown like the commercial row/museum at Peachtree and 10th or the ga tech medical building at 7th and w Peachtree. People will keep being disappointed if they keep having unrealistic expectations of what can be built in midtown
What exists now, is not what it has to be. We can change the FAR for midtown. Current limits (and exceptions to exceed) is self imposed. Midtown Alliance already made some changes. I wouldn’t be surprised if they changed it again in the next 5-10 years. Point being, Midtown could handle more if it planned accordingly.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 1:30 PM

As much as I love tall buildings and wish that NS HQ would be a very tall tower, in this location I don't think 2 "squat" buildings would be too bad. It would make AT&T and BofA look taller without blocking the views of them. Don't get me wrong I would take another supertall if that was what was happening, but I'm not too disappointed if it goes the NCR route. Now 8th and W Peachtree on the other hand I would prefer a taller tower to poke out of the plateau.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 2:13 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
As much as I love tall buildings and wish that NS HQ would be a very tall tower, in this location I don't think 2 "squat" buildings would be too bad. It would make AT&T and BofA look taller without blocking the views of them. Don't get me wrong I would take another supertall if that was what was happening, but I'm not too disappointed if it goes the NCR route. Now 8th and W Peachtree on the other hand I would prefer a taller tower to poke out of the plateau.
Agreed. I just posted this exact same thing in another thread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations