HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:54 AM

The Tyranny of the Balcony

I used this phrase when describing some infill on W.2nd and looking at the photos in the Social Housing thread the question came to mind again:

Is the design of Vancouver's residential highrises ruined by having to include balconies, to satisfy some perceived buyer need?

Full disclosure, I've never used a balcony even when I lived in places that had them. If it was nice enough to be outside, I was outside: at the beach, a park etc. I just don't get the desire for one.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 7:05 AM

I would not consider renting or buying a place without a balcony, not even for a split second and regardless of the savings. Being able to step out for a bit without having to actually leave my home and feel a breeze and get some fresh air is a necessity for me. Having a bbq and what not are also things you need a outdoor space for.

I actually wonder why they even build units without balconies? It doesn't make much sense to me? What is actually gained?

I actually cant think of many places where they build as many units without balconies as they do here. Its something that actually has always stood out for me and I often questioned it my self...although my opinion is perfectly opposite of yours.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 3:15 PM

Who wants to live in a commercial building? Balconies are the only sense of private outdoor space that apartment dwellers hold. They also add warmth if you ask me.

I'm working on a five unit townhouse complex on E. Pender that has a mix of balconies and rooftop decks.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 3:19 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I used this phrase when describing some infill on W.2nd and looking at the photos in the Social Housing thread the question came to mind again:

Is the design of Vancouver's residential highrises ruined by having to include balconies, to satisfy some perceived buyer need?

Full disclosure, I've never used a balcony even when I lived in places that had them. If it was nice enough to be outside, I was outside: at the beach, a park etc. I just don't get the desire for one.
I would consider a balcony an absolute must-have if I were to buy an apartment condo again... I would never buy or rent a place that did not have some form of exclusive use outdoor space. I think it's likely the vast majority would see it that way too... not only for the ammenity factor but for resale too. I'd imagine it's a lot harder to sell an apartemnt without a balcony

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 3:23 PM
See ya down under, mates

My condo has a 10x20 foot patio. I've lived here for six years and never used it except for the occasional sun tanning. We purchased the unit because my wife was afraid of heights, not because we ever thought we'd use it.

I'm more concerned about being able to open windows to let in fresh air without worrying about security.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
My condo has a 10x20 foot patio. I've lived here for six years and never used it except for the occasional sun tanning. We purchased the unit because my wife was afraid of heights, not because we ever thought we'd use it.

I'm more concerned about being able to open windows to let in fresh air without worrying about security.
Exactly. Anyone got a pic of the West End or Downtown South that shows balconies crowded with users? Except for the occasional smoker, they're usually empty. And in the meantime they lead to a monotonous sameness of boring design. Notice of all the designs most praised on the forum, most are balconyless.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 4:03 PM

A covered balcony was on the list of must-haves for our current apartment (a rental).

We don't use it as much as we'd like, but it's still great to have and very enjoyable.

To think we should eliminate these apartment features that the owners and tenants enjoy to satisfy some perceived aesthetic element from those who drive by or look at a building for 5 seconds is ludicrous.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 4:07 PM

What are these praised balconyless residential buildings?

A lot of people in my building BBQ. I mean, a lot. If there is no balcony, where would they BBQ? Of course, I don't live in the West End who apparently don't use their balconies.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 4:23 PM

Westenders have not been enlightened.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 4:24 PM

In the City of Vancouver, a certain amount of balcony space (I think 8%) is excluded from the total permitted density.

As long as that is the case I think you'll see most units designed with balconies.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:10 PM
life in the present

As a Realtor I'll tell you that balconies are coveted by buyers and are perhaps more sought after than ever. I had two 'no balcony' listings in 2012 that were in great buildings in fantastic waterfront locations.

During showings buyers were immediately turned off by the fact that no balconies existed, the suites remained on the market for months and never sold in spite of the fact that all my other listings sold rather quickly.

Outdoor living, of any size, is more demand than ever, when I review 'must haves' with buyers it's always at the top of their list. I tell prospective sellers of suites with no balconies, especially one bedrooms with limited views, to expect a lot of resistance and to price accordingly. I also advise first time buyers to never consider a suite with no outdoor space of any kind as their ability to sell with be challenged.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:23 PM

Balconies are great for BBQing in the summer and winter or just a place to enjoy a drink when it's warmer outside.

I can't imagine not having one just because of esthetics. Give me a break. Everyone I know who has had an apartment has had a balcony and used them frequently.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:28 PM
Community Guy

I would not choose a place without one unless it had a large common rooftop. I love BBQ'ing and or just getting some fresh air. My balcony is ~80sqft and it wonderful in the summer to relax on. They are especially great for when you have parties or people over.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:33 PM

Definitely love having a Balcony, I use it all the time in the summer. Just throw on some shorts, grab a beer and sit outside and watch the city. I even use it sometimes in the winter, throw on a hoodie and sit outside and have my morning coffee. Here people use their balconies all the time, and it looked the same last time I was in Van...

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 6:35 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Er.... Blanc has rooftop decks that spans half the condo's space.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Er.... Blanc has rooftop decks that spans half the condo's space.
Yes, but it doesn't have tickytacky little projections sticking off the facade.

I wonder how much each balcony adds to the cost of a suite? The proof of their value is seen in those condo buildings from 1960-70's where residents were allowed to enclose them. If you look at those a poll @ 80% were enclosed after construction.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Yes, but it doesn't have tickytacky little projections sticking off the facade.

I wonder how much each balcony adds to the cost of a suite? The proof of their value is seen in those condo buildings from 1960-70's where residents were allowed to enclose them. If you look at those a poll @ 80% were enclosed after construction.
If I look in this thread and at the market, a lot more than 80% of people disagree with you. The proof is in the pudding. Like the realtor in here said, balconies are an absolute necessity for almost every buyer. I agree that a lot of balconies look like after thoughts to architects, but people love having them. We use ours to grow vegetables on, have barbeques and relax on. Could not imagine not having one.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 8:55 PM
Website Manager

I'm not a huge fan of balconies. I understand the exterior aesthetic issue, they can look pretty horrid on some buildings.

I would be happy with a simple Juliet balcony. It's not really a balcony at all - just a large door opening to the outside with a railing across it so no one falls out. This way enough of the outside can be brought in and you can stand at the door to get a sense of the outside.

I wonder if a Juliet balcony is enough of a balcony for most people?

http://www.balconette.co.uk/Products/Juliette/

http://www.steelline.co.uk/construction11.html

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 8:55 PM

City bylaws have changed over the years for balconies (open and enclosed).

In the late 80s/early 90s the trend was to enclose balconies so that the space could be used year round. The square footage of these enclosed balconies (solariums) was also excluded from FSR calculations (as would be open balconies). I live in a building (Yaletown area) without balconies (completed 1993) and my solaroum is about 9'x10'. So that's, in effect, another bedroom that the developer got for "free".

Over the course of the years, City Hall cracked down on using enclosed balconies as living space (the oldest solariums have drains in the floors and a 6" sill (mine doesn't)) by reducing the maximum square footage for solariums, and also requiring outdoor balcony space. That's why you now see closet sized solariums (which can't be used as bedrooms) and similarly small balconies.

It would be nice to have outdoor space, but given the trade-off between indoor space versus outdoor space, I probably use the indoor space more than I would the outdoor space. My windows also open up wide, so I get good air circulation.

WRT projecting balconies -
The wrap-around balcony - as seen in a number of Toronto towers - seems to be absent in Vancouver, although some recent proposals include them. I guess that could be because of security issues being able to access shared balconies by climbing around a small glass divider.
Those buildings have pretty clean appearances...

Last edited by officedweller; Jan 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2013, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
I'm working on a five unit townhouse complex on E. Pender that has a mix of balconies and rooftop decks.
1812 E. Pender if anyone's wondering.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues