HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Bow in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Calgary Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 5:18 AM
The City

Cool CHICAGO | Roosevelt University Dorm | 469 FT / 143M | 32 FLOORS | COM

Height: 469 ft
Floor count: 32
Construction end: 2011
Architect: VOA
Developer: John Buck Company

Special mention to Spyguy for posting this info at SSC

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 5:22 AM
The City

Posted elsewhere:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Groundbreaking for the new Roosevelt University tower April 17.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 5:23 AM
The City

I like everything about this tower except the nasty, gray concrete wall along its western face.

One word:

Why?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 5:31 AM
TL;DR

^^ That's the northern face, and this is why... the proposal for Buckingham II.

The Auditorium Building is a landmark in world architecture, so it's pretty safe to assume that it will be there for the forseeable future. Roosevelt also owns the building, so the rules that limit windows along lot lines don't apply (since, for all intents and purposes, there is no lot line). You can put glass on that side and get great southern views. The north side, on the other hand, is a vacant lot with an active proposal for a building that will block any windows on that side. So you put service and circulation spaces along the northern side, and there's no need or reason for those spaces to have windows.

Last edited by ardecila; Mar 16, 2010 at 5:43 AM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 5:34 AM
BANNED

Also, I wish that was exposed concrete, that would be awesome. Instead it looks like some kind of black brick or paneling which would also be awesome. We are running low on new black towers in lately in Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 5:44 AM
TL;DR

Roosevelt's tower has quite a good design, but I don't like all the glass on the 5-story box at ground level. They make the entire street frontage glass, which is really shirking away from the context of two beautiful historic buildings in stone and terracotta, respectively. It would be better if the base were a more solid, opaque material, with the glass tower protruding from it

In addition, the fact that the glass is set back from the streetwall by 4 or 5 feet creates a rather disconcerting illusion that makes the facades of the Fine Arts Annex and the Auditorium Building look like odd freestanding structures, with nothing behind them. You can see how the reflection of the Fine Arts Annex creates this "pillar effect" in the rendering below. If I didn't know better, I'd say the architects were trying to play a sly trick based on the skin-deep notion of a facadectomy. Even if they were, though, it's not really appropriate to do that to the Auditorium, which still has all of its architectural innards (praise be to God).

Quote:

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 2:34 PM
devout Pizzatarian

whenever i look at the main rendering from the southwest i always get a "lever house on acid" kinda vibe from this one. the more i see of it, the more i like it; i really have high hopes for this one, if for no other reason than it might be all were gonna get for a while.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 3:20 PM
Chaos Machine

This proposal is exciting, if for nothing other than it is about the only thing going on right now. I was more excited at first thinking that this was instead located on the block just south of the auditorium building that has those two hideous brutal parking garages (it seems maybe they are actually in fact one mangled siamese twin L shaped mid-block building) and a surface lot, but this will be replacing that small white forgettable building tucked in just north of the auditorium bldg on wabash. While that parking garage is absolutely revolting, I suppose it does give the area that unique, run down and unkept since the 70's, gritty, urinating in the alley sort of feel to the area that would be gone without it.

The dorm building's entrance/street frontage on Wabash actually has a pretty nice feel to it from that rendering, and with students/etc coming and going and hanging out front it will liven the street up some.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 3:44 PM

I hope this increases both day and night life in this area, and eventually will lead to more buildings being built south to Roosevelt, thus "connecting" this area to the south loop area more (One museum park area-ish).

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 5:46 PM
Show me the blueprints

Could be a close family member of Chelsea Modern in NY:

link

or Bernard Tschumi's Blue Building in NY:

link

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 7:34 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
^^ That's the northern face, and this is why... the proposal for Buckingham II.

The Auditorium Building is a landmark in world architecture, so it's pretty safe to assume that it will be there for the forseeable future. Roosevelt also owns the building, so the rules that limit windows along lot lines don't apply (since, for all intents and purposes, there is no lot line). You can put glass on that side and get great southern views. The north side, on the other hand, is a vacant lot with an active proposal for a building that will block any windows on that side. So you put service and circulation spaces along the northern side, and there's no need or reason for those spaces to have windows.
i was just gonna say, why demolish the existing building (even though its somewhat ugly) for this dorm when the corner of wabash and van buren is an empty lot? although good to see there are plans for that lot as well. is there a timetable for when that tower is going to break ground?

love the new dorm overall. cannot wait to see it go up ... or anything go up, for that matter

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 7:56 PM
BANNED

^^^ Mr. Downtown said it was due to break ground April 17th. Right now they are finishing up the demolition of the previous building on the site.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 8:05 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ i'm pretty sure left of center was asking about a timetable for the buckingham II starting up, not the roosevelt dorm.

as for the buckingham II, i don't know where that one currently stands as far as its chances of going forward anytime soon. Mr. D? anyone?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 9:14 PM

Man, I hope the other tower (Buckingham II?) goes up, as well. This block would be so vibrant: aesthetically, with the two bold university towers next to the almost-jarringly red CNA building; and, socially, with all the students activating the space.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 9:58 PM

Nice dorm... gotta have some killer views.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 10:13 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonious View Post
This proposal is exciting, if for nothing other than it is about the only thing going on right now. I was more excited at first thinking that this was instead located on the block just south of the auditorium building that has those two hideous brutal parking garages (it seems maybe they are actually in fact one mangled siamese twin L shaped mid-block building) and a surface lot, but this will be replacing that small white forgettable building tucked in just north of the auditorium bldg on wabash. While that parking garage is absolutely revolting, I suppose it does give the area that unique, run down and unkept since the 70's, gritty, urinating in the alley sort of feel to the area that would be gone without it.
Hey now... that garage at least has cool cantilevered slabs over the sidewalk on Congress. They help to maintain a sort of streetwall feeling even though the sidewalk had to be shifted behind the streetwall by the expansion of Congress. Unfortunately, it replaced Steinway Hall, where Dwight Perkins, Wright, and Walter Burley Griffin had offices and developed the Prairie Style. (The building itself was designed by Perkins)

Last edited by ardecila; Mar 16, 2010 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 10:56 PM
THAT Guy

Laugh if you will, but I see fish (whenever I look at this rendering).

Rendering - SCB
Photo of fish eye - J. Reynolds/ Houston Chronicle
Photo of scales - Kimberly Crick / deviantart

Old Posted Mar 16, 2010, 11:49 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ i'm pretty sure left of center was asking about a timetable for the buckingham II starting up, not the roosevelt dorm.
correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
as for the buckingham II, i don't know where that one currently stands as far as its chances of going forward anytime soon. Mr. D? anyone?
would be nice if it was this summer, having two dorms going up almost side by side. that block of Wabash might be the most action we'll be seeing until the condo/office vacancy improves significantly. Hah, thats kinda depressing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Man, I hope the other tower (Buckingham II?) goes up, as well. This block would be so vibrant: aesthetically, with the two bold university towers next to the almost-jarringly red CNA building; and, socially, with all the students activating the space.
i still remember the "super dorm" opening on the corner of Congress and State. That alone did wonders livening up the whole area. With this dorm and possibly the Buckingham going up, its really going to create a critical mass of after hours pedestrian activity on those blocks. Definitely the right direction to go for the Loop becoming a more 24/7 neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 12:07 AM
Chaos Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Hey now... that garage at least has cool cantilevered slabs over the sidewalk on Congress. They help to maintain a sort of streetwall feeling even though the sidewalk had to be shifted behind the streetwall by the expansion of Congress. Unfortunately, it replaced Steinway Hall, where Dwight Perkins, Wright, and Walter Burley Griffin had offices and developed the Prairie Style. (The building itself was designed by Perkins)

Fair enough, it does have sort of a so ugly and weird that it is kind of retro and cool effect going for it... and it would be no big deal if there was a building on that corner that allowed the garage to just cantilever out of the streetwall mid-block like it was originally intended.

Thanks for the tidbit of info about what used to be there.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 12:47 AM
Chicago Enthusiast

I'm really loving this tower and glad to see it breaking ground soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive