HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 10:56 PM
Shoebox Dweller

Two Apple stores in the LM? Is that normal?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
New FUTURE SHOP and THE BRICK and INDIGO are opening soon in Grandview Corners...which is in South Surrey
so is H&M

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
whats normal?

Seattle has plenty of apple stores - so does Portland

it would be odd that vancouver only had one

LM will probably end up with 3-5 apple stores

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
So they are moving?

or will they keep both spaces?

that street level space is prime - if they move out i wonder what will move in?
My guess is moving , and the map still shows the old space since they are still using it.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 11:35 PM

that old space would have been good for apple - it could have had a street entrance and stay open later

oh well

how come that corner of that building never seems to have anything in it? it seems the last retailer was radio shack? or something like that a long time ago

you would think a retailer would do well on the corner of georgia and granville

Old Posted Mar 23, 2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
that old space would have been good for apple - it could have had a street entrance and stay open later

oh well

how come that corner of that building never seems to have anything in it? it seems the last retailer was radio shack? or something like that a long time ago

you would think a retailer would do well on the corner of georgia and granville
Agreed. That's super prime real estate. Must be a super prime lease rate as well.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 1:21 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
whats normal?

Seattle has plenty of apple stores - so does Portland

it would be odd that vancouver only had one

LM will probably end up with 3-5 apple stores
Ah, I was under the impression that large cities just got one and Apple just let their resellers do the rest as they have generally done in the past. I guess I was wrong!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 2:12 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I heard they are completely redoing the lobby of 701 W Georgia in order to increase the retail along the Granville side, not sure of the details though, maybe Leftcoaster knows.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 2:47 AM

Haha how did you know I might know something about that?

It's a pretty basic renovation, just shifting the lobby over to make way for a better layout of the existing stores, nothing too exciting really. Should pave the way for some future plans in that area of the mall though, most notably the eventual renovation and expansion of the rotunda plaza.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 2:55 AM

so that entryway between le chateau and nothign will be moved?

thats cool

that entrance seems like a waste of space and sort of makes that part of the mall feel disconnected - at least it does to me...

plus if coming from granville street it seems more people just go to the H&M entrance which is next to the mall one

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 4:18 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Quote:
Keg Restaurants Ltd. owner David Aisenstat will follow in the footsteps of his legendary restaurateur father Hy Aisenstat March 30 when he’s inducted into the B.C. Restaurant Hall of Fame. He will also tread Hy’s path when he opens a new Keg this year in the now vacant Davie Street castle that his father admired for 20 years before finally leasing to open Hy’s Mansion in 1979. Arranging permitting for that opening is one of many tasks 52-year-old Aisenstat has on his plate. He will continue to build his 114-restaurant empire that Hy started in 1955 by opening a restaurant simply called Hy’s in Calgary.
He is excited about launching a new radio station – Shore 104 – in June in partnership with investors such as Sam Feldman and Sam Belzberg. That adult alternative-format station’s launchcomes in the lead-up to the 19-year-old summer HSBC Celebration of Light fireworks festival which Aisenstat helped save by committing “hundreds of thousands” of dollars. Fireworks music will be simulcast on the FM station. Aisenstat is chairman of the board of trustees at the Vancouver Art Gallery. That board, he said, has not yet determined where the gallery will move after the Olympics. Speculation is rife that the cultural institution’s home will be the Plaza of Nations, but Aisenstat said trustees have not ruled out a site at Georgia and Hamilton streets known alternately as Larwill Park or the former Greyhound bus depot. Aisenstat also spends time and money helping others through: the Keg Spirit Foundation, which has given nearly $4 million to charities in the past seven years; and the Me to We organization, which encourages global thinking and is hosting a September gala at Vancouver’s GM Place that will include a talk from the Dalai Lama.
Between spoonfuls of seafood chowder at his Granville Street Shore Club, Aisenstat revealed growth plans for his restaurants. He expects his second Shore Club to open in the Westin Ottawa Hotel in September. His Toronto Ki ModernJapanese + Bar has been such a success that he plans to open a second Ki in Vancouver’s Shangri-la Hotel this fall. No new Gotham Steakhouse and Bars are planned, even though that high-end restaurant is celebrating its 10th anniversary this month. Nor are any additions anticipated for Aisenstat’s seven-location Hy’s chain. But there will be growth for Aisenstat’s Keg Restaurants chain, which he operates separately from the other brands. The Keg has been his pride and joy on and off since 1982. That’s when he first became a director and investor in what was a venture traded on the old TSE Stock Exchange. He has expanded the 9,500-employee Keg to 104 locations across North America, which combine to generate roughly $470 million in annual sales. Planned local Keg openings – aside from the one on Davie Street – includeone at the corner of Mainland and Nelson streets in Yaletown this summer and one in Coquitlam later this year near where a decades-old Keg was destroyed in a 2006 arson attack.
“One of the things that you can’t help but notice at the Keg is that there are a lot of families. There are seniors. There’s a real broad appeal,” he said. “We try to make it fun.” Aisenstat almost didn’t get the chance to leave his imprint on the chain that George Tidball founded in North Vancouver in 1971.
After graduating from Brentwood College School, he studied at the University of British Columbia, Dalhousie University and the University of Western Ontario. Nabisco recruited Aisenstat when the economics major was one course short of a degree. He was posted in Montreal, Toronto and then New York. As a single twentysomething corporate strategist, Aisenstat spent the late-1970s working hard, visiting Studio 54 and generally enjoying life. Then Hy phoned with an urgent request that his son join him at his Palm Springs home. “I said, ‘I’ve got this issue of a job, Dad. But, thanks,’” Aisenstat recalled. “He said, ‘You are coming. You’re leaving Friday evening. You’ll be three hours late Monday. But you’re coming.’ I didn’t know what the hell this was about, whether he was sick or what.” Hy had decided to spend less time managing his Vancouver-based, seven- restaurant Hy’s chain. The 55-year old had fixed up his Palm Springs retirement home and planned to spend his final days golfing and mixing with country club friends. Hy had no one to fill his shoes, so he offered his son a corporate development job with the company. Seven years later, when Hy died, his son became president. Leaving Nabisco for the restaurant business was inspiring enough that Aisenstat soon had a hankering to get involved with a second steakhouse brand: the Keg.
After Tidball, he was the Keg’s second-largest shareholder when U.K.- based Whitbread plc bought the company in 1987. The global brewer botched its attempt to use the Keg to establish a North American restaurant beachhead.
“Kegs were fun, energetic places. But these [Whitbread] guys didn’t like that too much. They had a guy in charge who didn’t like drinking, didn’t like eating meat, among other things that he apparently didn’t like,” Aisenstat said. “They were alienating the Keg customer base by not focusing on being a steakhouse, not supporting the fun that the bar created in the place, and
they weren’t really doing anything that would attract new customers.” Aisenstat bought the Keg from Whitbread in 1997, when the chain had about 80 locations. Longtime friend, Kingswood Properties Ltd. president Lorne Segal praised Aisenstat’s business savvy and his resolve to expand his businesses while giving back to the community during the current economic downturn. Segal chairs the 2009 Courage to Come Back awards, which will be held at the Hyatt Regency Hotel April 30. He has witnessed Aisenstat’s generosity first-hand. At a previous Courage to Come Back awards gala, Aisenstat discreetly tucked a folded piece of paper into Segal’s hand before he left . It was a cheque for $50,000. “He’s contributing back and taking
advantage of the position he’s in now, which is a stronger position than many,” Segal said. “Instead of saying times are tough, let’s pull back, he’s saying times are tough and this is when people need help more than ever.” Aisenstat has been single for the past two years, and he has no children. His first wife died of cancer. His second marriage ended in an amicable divorce.
He travels constantly and enjoys golf, skiing and heavily charred steaks.
Source: In this coming weeks BIV

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 5:03 AM

That's cool about the Keg in the Davie Castle. I hate seeing it empty. Looking forward to the one in Yaletown as well. They've been working on that location for a while now.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 5:06 AM

Mr Mikes seems to e making a comeback - there is one opening in Surrey on Scott Road - 120th and one opening in Langley where the Kelseys used to be near the brick/staples

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 6:05 AM

A little out of the blue, but anyone know why H&M shut off their illuminated squares on the outside wall along granville? I recall they used to have advertisements in the squares last summer which were backlit, adding a bit of color to the place, but they removed them and shut them off shortly after. That area is looking a little drab now.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 11:30 AM

I had no idea one family owned all those restaurants, the Aisenstat's must be somewhat wealthy.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 3:29 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

Quote:
so is H&M
I should just post the whole list here....

ALL STORES OPENING IN GRANDVIEW CORNERS, SOUTH SURREY...

NOW OPEN

Aldo
BCBG Maxazria
Calvin Klein
Casbah Evolution
Chatters
CIBC
Coast Capital Savings
Cupcakes
EB Games
Extreme
Garage
Crush
Grandview Corners Dental & Wellness
Great Clips
Hallmark
HMV
Home Depot
In The Pink @ Home
IRIS Optical
Jack & Jill Ladies Boutique
La Senza/La Senza Girl
La Vie En Rose
Le Chateau
Mark’s Work Wearhouse
Moores Clothing for Men
Moka House Cafe/Bistro
Nail Studio
Pebblecreek Custom Furniture
Pharmasave/Canada Post
RW & Co
Scotiabank
Shoe Warehouse
Smart Set
Sony Style
Sterling Shoes
Subway
TD Canada Trust
Telus
The Children’s Place
Tim Horton’s
Tommy Hilfiger
Toy House (Opening Soon)
Turner/Geox
ULiquor Store
ULounge
Wal-Mart Supercentre

TO VIEW THE PDF...CLICK HERE

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 5:46 PM
ON3P Skis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
It's only a matter of time before Apple opens a store in Park Royal, Metrotown and one on Robson Street, likely a flagship store. It's just a matter of finding the right location, Apple doesn't usually do things half-assed. I say usually because the Pacific Centre one is ho-hum, but it had taken SO long to secure a location they had to do something. They were working on something almost 3 years ago for Robson Street, but it fell through and they are currently working on something big now. Oh, and I'd put money on a store in Richmond at some point too.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 6:06 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

^ Isn't there an Apple Store in Pacific Centre? I remember going to that one.

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
It's only a matter of time before Apple opens a store in Park Royal, Metrotown and one on Robson Street, likely a flagship store. It's just a matter of finding the right location, Apple doesn't usually do things half-assed. I say usually because the Pacific Centre one is ho-hum, but it had taken SO long to secure a location they had to do something. They were working on something almost 3 years ago for Robson Street, but it fell through and they are currently working on something big now. Oh, and I'd put money on a store in Richmond at some point too.
I think this whole statement should be prefaced by
"In my opinion..."

Unless you have some references to indicate otherwise?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2009, 7:45 PM

Good to hear that the VAG hasn't ruled out the Larwill Park site. I'll be a big decision whether they focus on being a "destination" facility at the Plaza of Nations or a "downtown" facility on Georgia.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy