HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 12:44 AM

Yeah, one's gotta choose carefully the days to hit the slopes when the conditions are just right. Currently snowing heavily on the North Shore Mountains so good times ahead.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 6:38 PM
Beer me Captain

Just came back from 3 mainly awesome days:
Friday - Louise was great with up to 30 cms of fresh powder. Brown shirt was closed until late due to avalance clearing, but was still hitting fresh tracks as late as 3 in the alphabet chutes (F and G were awesome)
Saturday - Kicking Horse; upper bowls were very good, pretty skied up but loose snow and the glades off Stairway to Heaven were in top shape. Lower part of the mountain was icy due to the rain and melting before the freeze. They need more snow to get back in shape.
Sunday - Sunshine; while not sunny the snow was awesome and fresh. Dive and WWW were closed as were the west chutes but Hell's Kitchen was the best I've seen in a long time. Tons of fresh powder in the trees. With the west chutes closed, you had to walk up into the bottom of the chutes in Eagle - which we did and then found ourselves drowning in powder! Awesome.

Overall the big AB hills are in good mid-season shape, but KH needs snow or you just have to ski Stairway. Off to Fernie and/or Castle next weekend. Hope they get puked on.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Just came back from 3 mainly awesome days:
Friday - Louise was great with up to 30 cms of fresh powder. Brown shirt was closed until late due to avalance clearing, but was still hitting fresh tracks as late as 3 in the alphabet chutes (F and G were awesome)
Saturday - Kicking Horse; upper bowls were very good, pretty skied up but loose snow and the glades off Stairway to Heaven were in top shape. Lower part of the mountain was icy due to the rain and melting before the freeze. They need more snow to get back in shape.
Sunday - Sunshine; while not sunny the snow was awesome and fresh. Dive and WWW were closed as were the west chutes but Hell's Kitchen was the best I've seen in a long time. Tons of fresh powder in the trees. With the west chutes closed, you had to walk up into the bottom of the chutes in Eagle - which we did and then found ourselves drowning in powder! Awesome.

Overall the big AB hills are in good mid-season shape, but KH needs snow or you just have to ski Stairway. Off to Fernie and/or Castle next weekend. Hope they get puked on.
I was there Saturday and Sunday and we found ridiculous snow off Stairway, we had to duck a couple ropes but were making lots of fresh tracks in knee deep snow. We also found some good snow around the boundary in Terminator Bowl, got to make some fresh tracks there too.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 3:48 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I was there Saturday and Sunday and we found ridiculous snow off Stairway, we had to duck a couple ropes but were making lots of fresh tracks in knee deep snow. We also found some good snow around the boundary in Terminator Bowl, got to make some fresh tracks there too.
Yup Stairway was nice - did you do the glades or drop in the bowl? We didn't do Terminator, only did Feuz. Were you single or two planks?

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 7:36 PM

This past weekend was Family Day long weekend here in BC and we drove to Kelowna for some skiing. On Saturday we went to ski at Silver Star Resort which turned out to be a very nice resort with many great runs. Snow was excellent and weather nice and sunny.

There was a lot of snow on top of the mountain and trees were snapping from the weight of the snow!

Beautiful vistas from the summit.

The next day we changed to Big White where the weather was more cloudy, but the snow was fantastic. I just love the runs around Gem Lake Express chair lift.

Great trip

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 8:06 PM

Looks like Revy is forecasting a big dump this weekend, could be the last good weekend in the BC interior this season!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 4:01 AM

Took a day off on Friday to go skiing in Whistler (Blackcomb side). Fourth time up there this year and it was worth it. The amount of snow they have there is crazy and they have been able to groom many black runs that you rarely see groomed. Excellent dry snow above 1000 meters!

This is what it's all about: sun, powder snow and empty runs.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 2:42 AM

Now that the ski season is behind us I was interested to put together a comparison of the total snow fall in all the local resorts (all figures in cm). During winter it felt like we were experiencing an excellent winter and it was like that in places like Whistler and Big White, however for most resorts it was only an average season.

Anyways, looking forward to a possible La Niña winter this year!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 3:59 AM

I am currently contemplating between a 10-day ski trip to Colorado or the Rockies around Family Day. I have never been to either, so what would be the 3-4 ski resorts I would have to visit in Canada east of Okanagan? Take into account that we would have to be driving from Vancouver and back.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I am currently contemplating between a 10-day ski trip to Colorado or the Rockies around Family Day. I have never been to either, so what would be the 3-4 ski resorts I would have to visit in Canada east of Okanagan? Take into account that we would have to be driving from Vancouver and back.
East of Okanagan: Red Mountain, Whitewater, Revelstoke, and Kicking Horse.

Fyi none of them except maybe Kicking Horse is in the Canadian Rockies.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
If you have ten days, Colorado-Utah-Grand Teton would be pretty epic. Just pick up something like collective pass so you aren't paying list prices for lifts at $130 US a day.

If you've never done the Banff areas, Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Lake Louise, Sunshine would be pretty awesome. Us locals sometimes forget how great these close by hills are. Around family day if you are doing the Canadian rockies you should look into things far before - it is the highest of high season, even during the week due to an Alberta thing called teachers convention attached to family day.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 7:17 PM

Colorado is really expensive and kind of a letdwn IMO. Brekenridge is the only mountain there I truly enjoyed, Vail was a waste, Copper and Keystone were pretty meh, and Arapahoe was good but small.

Heard great things about Utah and Wyoming though.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 3:11 PM

Haha if Calgary is close to Revelstoke then I'm close to Banff. I mean it's not even in the same province and Revy isn't even in the Rockies!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 3:58 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
East of Okanagan: Red Mountain, Whitewater, Revelstoke, and Kicking Horse.

Fyi none of them except maybe Kicking Horse is in the Canadian Rockies.

Kicking Horse is not in the Rockies, I believe it lies within the Purcell's.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Kicking Horse is not in the Rockies, I believe it lies within the Purcell's.
Ya if not the Rockies it would have to be in the Purcells. Thanks

Old Posted Oct 12, 2016, 6:38 PM

Havent heard great things about Colorado, but have heard amazing things about Wyoming and Utah (even if they still have hills that don't allow snowboards).

Old Posted Oct 13, 2016, 11:56 PM

Heavy snowfall warning in Banff! looks like we are going to get a good opening in the Rockies again...

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 3:00 AM

Thanks for all the tips above! I am very tempted by a trip following the Trans-Cadana Highway all the way to Banff, making stops in Revelstoke, Golden and Banff, but I need to look more into the price of accommodation. Let's see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Heavy snowfall warning in Banff! looks like we are going to get a good opening in the Rockies again...
Whistler got 46 centimeters on the long weekend and surely there will be more during the three storms this week. Who knows, there might be an early opening ahead next month!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 6:53 PM

Just bought a new board (Neversummer Chairman), really hope the snow continues and I don't have to wait until mid winter to break it out!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 11:17 PM

Sunshine Village opens Thursday!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia