HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 6:55 AM

Las Vegas in the future?

I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong forum since I am a new member. But I want to know is what might future Las Vegas might look like in say 10 to 20 years time? Got any interesting images of Las Vegas in the future?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 8:41 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

You can check out the Las Vegas project compilation thread and the Las Vegas diagrams page.
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?cityID=163

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 4:34 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
dp
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 4:37 AM
A gruff individual.

Las Vegas: Brought to you by Climate Change! "We're building tomorrow's hotter, unlivable planet... today!"

(Source.)
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Las Vegas: Brought to you by Climate Change! "We're building tomorrow's hotter, unlivable planet... today!"

(Source.)
Las Vegas has always been unlivable for a large population without sophisticated technology. Maybe if things warm up a bit, large, unappealing areas in the northern Midwest will be more appealing for human habitation.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2016, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
Las Vegas has always been unlivable for a large population without sophisticated technology. Maybe if things warm up a bit, large, unappealing areas in the northern Midwest will be more appealing for human habitation.
The metro population in Vegas is 2.1 million.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
The metro population in Vegas is 2.1 million.
Yes, and it takes sophisticated technology to make that possible. I don't understand your point.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 1:48 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
Yes, and it takes sophisticated technology to make that possible. I don't understand your point.

People in the Middle East have been living in hot conditions for 1000's of years and still thrive in those hot areas? (Well, the ones who aren't at war torn that is). Where talking Earth here, not Pluto. Some places that are inhospitable and may require tech if we are to live in it are Antarctica (closest Earthy conditions that mimic another planet), and parts of Siberia.

Other than that, people can tolerate and do live in regions where the temperature is 110-120F on a daily basis. Vegas has it good compared to U.A.E. or Saudi Arabia.

Las Vegas is doing fine. The economy is the biggest stranglehold for it when it comes to growth. If more jobs come to the region, and with a diversification of industries, then the region will flourish with its low prices.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 7:54 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Las Vegas is doing fine. The economy is the biggest stranglehold for it when it comes to growth. If more jobs come to the region, and with a diversification of industries, then the region will flourish with its low prices.
The heat doesn't really factor into it. The continued existence and viability of the Colorado River do though, and I'd say the ever-growing bathtub ring around Lake Mead is a potentially bigger stranglehold than the economy ever had time to be.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2016, 3:56 PM

If things continue the way it's going the Middle East could get temperatures up to 140F in the summer. Any hotter than that it would be hot enough to boil your blood.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture