HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 12:24 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

A few more images from the .pdf:

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 1:25 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
What makes them think that they can just take over the road for their own uses?
They've also taken liberties in extending the park links on to the adjacent property that contains the Sheraton. I'm not even sure they own the restaurant property, and they show the back half of its building removed.

Personally, I think they should assemble the entire block for a development of this scale

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 3:24 AM

I'm pretty sure this won't be visible from the front lawn of Parliament, even at 55 stories. Is anyone good at working out angles and elevations? I hate to admit it, but I actually have a problem with the height if it is.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
What makes them think that they can just take over the road for their own uses?
Even if they are allowed to do this (the continuous plaza from the museum to the development), I'm not a fan. This is a similar concept to Lansdowne and it creates confusion IMO. Keep cars and pedestrians separate.

Otherwise, I do like the project; the open space, the observatory, the roof top restaurant, the design that shifts...

Downtown Hull will be a totally different place in 10 years, with the Windmill development on the west end and this in the east. If only we could have a proper transit line looping around the downtowns.

Last edited by J.OT13; May 23, 2015 at 1:19 AM.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
Project is called Renaissance (55 floors) Alliance (35 floors) and the pedestrian park is place des peuples. They have info on their website, brigil.com including this shot. Personally I really hope they build it.

What's with the towers on each side of Portage I?

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 1:24 AM

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 3:54 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 2:30 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
They could potentially do this if they were willing to prevent cars from driving here (which would be madness!). We don't really have a continuous pedestrian plaza in the region, and it could be nice here with the museum.
Given that Rue Laurier is part of the NCC's mythical "Confederation Boulevard", this plaza on the road simply isn't going to happen.

http://www.ncc-ccn.gc.ca/places-to-v...tion-boulevard

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I'm pretty sure this won't be visible from the front lawn of Parliament, even at 55 stories. Is anyone good at working out angles and elevations? I hate to admit it, but I actually have a problem with the height if it is.
Here are the details of my calculations.

I tried to find the dimensions of the parlement online but couldn't find anything. So I just did an approximation with the diagram of skyscraperpage which has height lines. From the diagram, my estimate for the lowest part of parlement is 28 meters.

Another estimate, is the height of the of Brigil tower. Based soly on the height of the sky as a reference which will be 178 meters.

Last estimate is the distance between the Brigil tower and the front of the parlement: 1.044 km

From there, we do a cross product:
It takes 1044 meters for the sight line for it to drop from 178 meter to 28 meters (150 meters).
So how many more meters for it to drop 26.4 meters more (assuming 1.6 meters for the height of the eyes).
Distance from parlement that the brigil towers could be seen = (1044 meters X 26.4 meters)/150 meters = 183.7 meters
183.7 meters come right across wellington but if the tower is 200 meters it could be seen from the boudary of the lawn.

Last edited by LaGrandeOurse; May 23, 2015 at 3:39 AM.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 3:34 AM
National Capital Region

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 3:35 AM
National Capital Region

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
What's with the towers on each side of Portage I?
I was wondering the same thing.
Maybe the new sheraton extension planned but it is suppose to be 15 floors and only 1 tower.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 4:51 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGrandeOurse View Post
Here are the details of my calculations.

I tried to find the dimensions of the parlement online but couldn't find anything. So I just did an approximation with the diagram of skyscraperpage which has height lines. From the diagram, my estimate for the lowest part of parlement is 28 meters.

Another estimate, is the height of the of Brigil tower. Based soly on the height of the sky as a reference which will be 178 meters.

Last estimate is the distance between the Brigil tower and the front of the parlement: 1.044 km

From there, we do a cross product:
It takes 1044 meters for the sight line for it to drop from 178 meter to 28 meters (150 meters).
So how many more meters for it to drop 26.4 meters more (assuming 1.6 meters for the height of the eyes).
Distance from parlement that the brigil towers could be seen = (1044 meters X 26.4 meters)/150 meters = 183.7 meters
183.7 meters come right across wellington but if the tower is 200 meters it could be seen from the boudary of the lawn.
Parliament Hill is about 28 to 34 metres higher above sea level than the tower site. I think it's close but would not be visible at ground level for the main walk toward the hill. However you don't have to go too far west on the lawn before it becomes very visible.

Notes - The last diagram done with Parliament Hill at uniform 82m ASL, although I think that is the height closer to Wellington Street). For the second tower I used a placeholder height of 120 metres.

Last edited by waterloowarrior; May 23, 2015 at 5:47 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2015, 7:55 PM
Awesome!

Also to add up to my post regarding Ste Foy's proposal been out of place. This building in the Vaughan Town Centre (where the Yonge-University-Spadina will be extended) is about 35 stories high with nothing around (though there other towers built in the future). Imagine how out of place the one in Ste. Foy if miraculously proceeds will be

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.79534...Fw!2e0!5m1!1e1

http://expocity.ca/
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2015, 5:36 PM

Vaughan Centre is a special case because it's at the future terminus of a subway line, where it intersects with a major BRT corridor, so the area is undergoing a TOD explosion. That whole area is Walmarts and strip malls now but in 10 years will be completely unrecognizable from today.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 1:58 PM

Ile de Hull residents oppose development:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...tory-1.3113416

Not a surprise. I know their councillor supports the plan and the mayor is waffling.

I think its a very good plan, also brings more hotel rooms which is really needed in the region, provides some tourist value with the observation deck...but Brigil has proposed big plans before that have gone nowhere. I seem to remember a large project in Aylmer that fizzled to nothing.

What are the chances this project will go ahead?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
Ile de Hull residents oppose development:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...tory-1.3113416

Not a surprise. I know their councillor supports the plan and the mayor is waffling.

I think its a very good plan, also brings more hotel rooms which is really needed in the region, provides some tourist value with the observation deck...but Brigil has proposed big plans before that have gone nowhere. I seem to remember a large project in Aylmer that fizzled to nothing.

What are the chances this project will go ahead?
Residents don't want change..If it would be up to them, they would still have a horse and buggy.

I am a close by resident and hope this project goes through!!!!!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 11:26 PM

I know my opinion is not popular here, but I don't favour buildings that will clearly outstage the Parliament Buildings (and the Museum of History for that matter). I would much prefer something of more human scale.

Has anybody considered the impact on sight lines from Highway 5 and 50? These provide the nicest views of overall downtown Ottawa. I don't want to see that ruined.

I am not opposed to tall buildings but they should be kept away from the Parliamentary precinct. This is why I have not commented on the towers in Little Italy. A more appropriate location and on rapid transit.

With interprovincial rapid transit not likely going anywhere, I question about going a building binge in old downtown Hull.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 12:01 AM
Gatinois et fier

Brigil have a project for an highrise at the corner of saint-joseph and gamelin.the sign is still there but nothing is happening so far.

GATINEAU-OTTAWA=1 300 000
gatinopolis.miniville.fr
gatinopolis.miniville.fr/ind

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 12:38 AM

Last edited by Urbanarchit; Aug 27, 2015 at 5:24 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 2:15 AM

Keep in mind that due to elevation differences these towers will be far less prominent relative to Parliament Hill than a 55 story building in downtown Ottawa would be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa