HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 20, 2012, 3:25 AM

Looks like another office bldg. is going ahead

100 Adelaide West/Richmond-Adelaide III (Oxford, 42s, KPF)

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started
TORONTO ON M5H 1S3
Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale
Application#: 12 283390 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Nov 22, 2012
Project: Non-Residential Building New Building
Description: Proposal to construct new office building, 42 storey with 5 levels of parking.

Also some good news for 45 Bay

45 Bay St (SITQ, 50s)
Ivanhoe Cambridge to make a splash on Bay

http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/201...splash-on-bay/

"Notably absent in the downtown Toronto market, Ivanhoe Cambridge is looking to make a splash over its Bay St. site by holding an “international design competition” towards the development of a mixed-use tower, a top company executive tells me"

"Cambridge is looking at two million square feet of office and possibly commercial space for its 45 Bay St. site near the Air Canada Centre"

Ivanhoe mulling development of prime Toronto site......http://www.montrealgazette.com/busin...059/story.html

From Peepers @ UT

Last edited by Automation Gallery; Dec 20, 2012 at 5:35 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2013, 8:21 PM

Wow, another bunch of tall ones for Toronto...also looks like they have added an office tower to this development

1 Yonge St re-development (Pinnacle, 2x70s + 92s + 98s, Hariri Pontarini)

City planning application from back, Sept/2011

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started
TORONTO ON M5E 1E5
Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale
Application#: 11 269944 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Sep 7, 2011
Project: Non-Residential Building Addition

Description: Proposal to sever north portion of parking lot (to remain vacant until future development) and convert 3 sty portion of existing building on north side from Canada Post Storage Area to parking for existing building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 12:30 AM

Yikes!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 3:43 AM
BANNED

Updated downtown Toronto commercial space availabilities for January from Altus InSite and Cube Cities:

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 11:20 PM
Chairman

I was in Toronto from February 14 until February 19. I was very impressed with the amount of cranes in and around Downtown. It reminds me of Dubai. I was just as impressed with the Mississauga skyline.

-sb

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 7:59 PM
Aimless Wanderer

A 55 storey tower was just proposed for University Avenue right across the street from the Icon, which is another proposed 55 storey tower. Like the Icon, it seems this one will also incorporate the existing office building on site.

481 UNIVERSITY AVE
OPA / Rezoning 13 123864 STE 27 OZ Ward 27
- Tor & E.York Feb 22, 2013 --- --- --- ---
Rezoning application to permit the re-development of the lands for the purposes of a new mixed use building, 55 stories in height complete with 49,858m2 (748 units) of residential space, 3,192m2 of retail space and 22,207m2 of office space. This proposal includes a total of 378 parking spaces all of which are below grade.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 8:49 PM
The New Republic

I've always considered the buildings on University Avenue far too small for the scale of that street, so it's a promising development. More residential and office will do wonders for foot traffic and the feel of this boulevard. This is one street where you could put 400 m buildings and they wouldn't over power the street. I'll settle for 200m+ buildings though.

The ICON design needs a complete re-do. The podium is creative and well done, but the tower just doesn't work with it at all. Either carry the podium design all the way up the tower, or start over.

Hopefully this new proposal across the street at 481 University won't be glass. One of the great things about this street is the 70s architecture and use of heavy materials. It would be sad if that were lost in the name of looking current.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
I was in Toronto from February 14 until February 19. I was very impressed with the amount of cranes in and around Downtown. It reminds me of Dubai. I was just as impressed with the Mississauga skyline.
I wouldn't call it Dubai since Toronto isn't building a skyline from scratch in 10 years as they've done, but Toronto does have more construction than any city in North America even in the post recession era.

If residential is to start waning, I could see office construction pick up. Toronto hasn't built as much major office floorspace as it has capacity for in recent years, so the highrise boom may very well continue even if condos slump.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I've always considered the buildings on University Avenue far too small for the scale of that street, so it's a promising development. More residential and office will do wonders for foot traffic and the feel of this boulevard. This is one street where you could put 400 m buildings and they wouldn't over power the street. I'll settle for 200m+ buildings though.
Absolutely true, University Ave is the grand boulevard of Toronto, yet you don't see large towering buildings. It needs to become 400m row.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon716 View Post
I wouldn't call it Dubai since Toronto isn't building a skyline from scratch in 10 years as they've done, but Toronto does have more construction than any city in North America even in the post recession era.

If residential is to start waning, I could see office construction pick up. Toronto hasn't built as much major office floorspace as it has capacity for in recent years, so the highrise boom may very well continue even if condos slump.
We are adding about 6,000,000 square feet to the downtown right now, or about a 10% increase over our current 60ish million square feet. That is a considerable amount, it's just all being added in shorter office buildings so it doesn't seem like we are adding a lot. There are 5 buildings going up over 700,000 square feet, but nothing over 1,000,000 or 200 meters tall. There just simply isn't a market for 2 million square foot office buildings rising 250+ meters. The only big buildings with office in it proposed is the Oxford towers, which has 300,000 square feet of residential in each 1,300,000 square foot building.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 3:04 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

There is also 45 Bay.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 3:34 AM

Not really, the site is not even owned by the same people as the proposal that we know so well for there. There is something brewing there, but we know essentially nothing about it.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Not really, the site is not even owned by the same people as the proposal that we know so well for there. There is something brewing there, but we know essentially nothing about it.
Well we know that (SITQ) Ivanhoe Cambridge has owned the property for over 5 years, and are holding an international design competition to eventually develop that site, rumour has it at 2 million Sq. ft of office space and bus terminal.
...what more is there to know

From todays Montreal Gazette......The expansion at Steeles comes at a time when Ivanhoe Cambridge is looking to grow its office presence in Canada’s largest city. In December, the real estate giant said it would hold an international design competition to eventually develop its 45 Bay St. site near the Air Canada Centre.
http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/201...teeles-campus/

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 9:24 AM
The New Republic

Perhaps they'll be the one to build the next great office building for Toronto. Lord knows the others won't. They're content building completely forgettable 30 floor cubes all over the place.

Quote:
There just simply isn't a market for 2 million square foot office buildings rising 250+ meters.
There is, but we have a lot of different developers wanting a piece of the pie and they're excruciatingly conservative firms. They got a bit ahead of themselves before and got burned. Now they've swung to the other extreme.

Downtown Toronto needs a ton of additional office space, but the problem is that most of this new space won't come on stream for another 2-3 years. A tight market is going to get even tighter.

By 2015, we'll likely have built up 2 more years of demand. Developers are going to be in catch up mode for many years to come.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 10:50 AM

New 40 storey proposal for 625-637 Yonge street @ Isabella st.

from drum118 @ UT
Quote:
Originally Posted by drum118 View Post
From tonight meeting. Have requested a copy of the presentation.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 12:55 AM

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 2:29 AM

Another couple tall towers proposed for the Lakeshore waterfront

1926 LAKE SHORE BLVD West (48s + 42s)

1926 LAKE SHORE BLVD W
OPA / Rezoning 13 125924 WET 13 OZ Ward 13
- Etob. York Feb 27, 2013 --- --- --- ---
Proposed amendments to the Zoning By-Law to permit the development of 2 residential towers with heights of 42 and 48 stories connected by a 4 storey podium. A residential gross floor area of 78,625 sq m is proposed. The building will contain a total of 847 units, 613 parking spaces below grade, and 248 above grade

Last edited by Automation Gallery; Feb 28, 2013 at 2:41 AM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

The ICON design needs a complete re-do. The podium is creative and well done, but the tower just doesn't work with it at all. Either carry the podium design all the way up the tower, or start over.

Hopefully this new proposal across the street at 481 University won't be glass. One of the great things about this street is the 70s architecture and use of heavy materials. It would be sad if that were lost in the name of looking current.
couldn't agree more! Id like to see architecture like the dead Vimy Circle proposal please!

On the bright side this proposal couldn't possibly be worse than Icon! Somthing to look forward to

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 10:01 PM
gettin' rich!

The highrise total for Under-Construction Towers in Toronto has fallen from 154

to now just 145 Highrise towers and Skyscapers Under Construction

Toronto's Huge Gap on the rest of North America, will be decling due to a slowdown (hopefully not crash) in the condo market.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 3:18 AM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
The highrise total for Under-Construction Towers in Toronto has fallen from 154

to now just 145 Highrise towers and Skyscapers Under Construction

Toronto's Huge Gap on the rest of North America, will be decling due to a slowdown (hopefully not crash) in the condo market.
145 towers under construction is still quite a bit. There are plenty of proposals.

What do you think is the percentage of proposals becoming a reality?

-sb

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations