HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

MNP Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 2, 2014, 8:59 PM

this tower is looking very good!

excited to see this building once it's completed.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2014, 9:44 PM

MNP Tower Aug 3rd

Last edited by globeman; Sep 11, 2015 at 4:59 AM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 3:22 AM

Gorgeous. Really like the juxtaposition of old and new here. It just ... works

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 4:17 AM

One more MNP and Marine Bldgs from Aug 3rd

Last edited by globeman; Oct 27, 2014 at 4:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2014, 5:51 AM

^
So awesome! Now we just need a super tall somewhere in that same vicinity.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 7:50 PM

You know, something with a similar form to MNP with black glass with 1/3 more height would look ridiculously good in place of the green glass office tower (oxford building?) behind Marine. Imagine Marine sitting in front of two, differently coloured curving mountains of glass of different heights. Unrealistic, but what a dream.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 7:57 PM

That's one very well composed photo, globeman. You should just post them in slightly larger size.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globeman View Post
The site of that brick building needs to be redeveloped ASAP with a super tall!

Old Posted Aug 5, 2014, 9:46 PM

Old Posted Aug 9, 2014, 5:35 AM

My photos from today:

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 3:52 AM

Metro posted about how he had put pictures of the MNP on the Canada, "under construction" thread.
The reaction there was indeed between indifferent and outright negative, with several
people saying the spandrel made it look "cheap." Perhaps if it been a rather "seamless" building exterior, with the walls like
giant mirrors, and the building itself like a honed metallic sculpture (with no visible spandrel), this might have won some critics' awards.
Nevertheless it is splendid as it is, and we in this town can rejoice over it

Old Posted Aug 10, 2014, 3:54 AM

anyone who says that this tower is bad or cheap is either blind or got no common sense.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 12:44 AM
Go Rotem! Die Bombardier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Metro posted about how he had put pictures of the MNP on the Canada, "under construction" thread.
The reaction there was indeed between indifferent and outright negative, with several
people saying the spandrel made it look "cheap." Perhaps if it been a rather "seamless" building exterior, with the walls like
giant mirrors, and the building itself like a honed metallic sculpture (with no visible spandrel), this might have won some critics' awards.
Nevertheless it is splendid as it is, and we in this town can rejoice over it

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
anyone who says that this tower is bad or cheap is either blind or got no common sense.
People are entitled to their own opinions and while compared solely within Vancouver itself this building is stunning, its not necessarily that great once you broaden the comparative base.

Consider this....how much did The Bow cost compared to MNP? By that comparison alone, this building really is "cheap", there is absolutely no denying that. But compare it with a 30 storey building built in a third world city, this building would not be "cheap".

I don't really know why bring up the opinions of other people in another thread (it doesn't even have a direct link to reference it)...unless someone wants to rile people up...

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi View Post
Who the hell is saying that? I've seen nothing but positive feedback on this tower so far, and that's incredibly rare for us!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 3:42 AM

It was on the Canada section.

And to Queetz, yes, it is relative, but this is arguably the nicest office tower to go up in Canada since the Bow, and by cheap, they were not referring to the cost of the project, but to its image. This tower does not look "cheap" as in it is a second class project. It is in the eyes of most very sleek and classy.

Your price comparison comment for construction is a little bizarre and off the mark of the topic.

the Bow comparison for sheer cost of construction makes about as much sense as me saying "The Bow is not really that impressive of a project when you comparing it to the cost of the entire Apollo space program. Now that was a project!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
It was on the Canada section.

And to Queetz, yes, it is relative, but this is arguably the nicest office tower to go up in Canada since the Bow, and by cheap, they were not referring to the cost of the project, but to its image. This tower does not look "cheap" as in it is a second class project. It is in the eyes of most very sleek and classy.

Your price comparison comment for construction is a little bizarre and off the mark of the topic.

the Bow comparison for sheer cost of construction makes about as much sense as me saying "The Bow is not really that impressive of a project when you comparing it to the cost of the entire Apollo space program. Now that was a project!
The Apollo Space Program is not a building...just saying...

Besides, EAP Phase 2 is better...

BTW, I tried to look for it in the Canada section. Can you link it for me?

I did see the one about someone commenting about Vancouver's high cost of living but its mostly the Trump Tower being displayed there. Although I think this guy is spot on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
What a collection of pathetic hypersensitivity. Somebody asks a question, gets answered with factual responses, albeit ones they don't want to hear, and suddenly the thread degenerates off topic with the usual whining about how everybody hates Calgary, or Vancouver, and Toronto has to be the centre of the universe. Grow a pair or shut up. I come to this forum to discuss skyscrapers and related topics, but am getting more and more put off each day by the childish immaturity displayed by many frequent posters.

I love Vancouver as a city, but that doesn't mean I can't say it has unrealistic housing prices.

Last edited by queetz@home; Aug 12, 2014 at 4:27 AM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebby View Post
The site of that brick building needs to be redeveloped ASAP with a super tall!
that brick building is a historic building, opened in 1930, and was at one time the tallest building in the British Empire. I will never be torn down.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queetz@home View Post
The Apollo Space Program is not a building...just saying...

Besides, EAP Phase 2 is better...

BTW, I tried to look for it in the Canada section. Can you link it for me?

I did see the one about someone commenting about Vancouver's high cost of living but its mostly the Trump Tower being displayed there. Although I think this guy is spot on....
Let me take a look.

I honestly never meant to make this big a deal out of it, things are getting a little blown out of proportion now...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...24156&page=255

Again, just was surprised with the reaction given the high % of boring box office towers going up across the country.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Let me take a look.

I honestly never meant to make this big a deal out of it, things are getting a little blown out of proportion now...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...24156&page=255

Again, just was surprised with the reaction given the high % of boring box office towers going up across the country.
To be fair, my initial post wasn't directed at you, Metro. But rather towards a certain individual who, for some reason, was trying to rile up people who normally don't visit the Canada section, by bringing up an unrelated (and hard to find) argument from another thread, into this thread.

I guess the mere fact that it seemed to be heading towards blowing out of proportion, he has accomplished his goal. Anyways, I made my feelings known about this tower way back when...after all, KPF is one of my favourite architects.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 7:04 PM

In that thread, one person praised it and two people said the glazing looked cheap. We've already had those discussions here and the glazing while complementary to the Guinness building and adequate in its own right isn't as lux as it could be. Not a big deal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver