HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 3:16 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Winnipeg needs more than three towers of almost the same height at the same intersection!
The problem with Winnipeg is that it's hard to see the skyline from many vantage points.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Many of the people in the CMA work in the city (that's why they're in the CMA). That contributes to how built up the city becomes, even if the people don't live there.
Yeah, I was actually thinking about what I said, and it sounds pretty stupid now that I think of it. For instance, Vancouver with a pop. of roughly 5-600 000 would not have the skyline it does without its metro. Same with 3/4 of the us cities whose metro's are far bigger than their principal city. I guess it is unique to Winnipeg to have a Metro that really doesn't add too much to the pop. of the city. Although, you have to admit, Highrise condo development in the core depends on people wanting to live in the city itself.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 6:58 PM
Urban Fanactic

Quote:
The problem with Winnipeg is that it's hard to see the skyline from many vantage points.
I didn't realize this.
I thought that you could see it from almost anywhere because of the land being almost flat. I could see the skyline from the airport no problem.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 7:00 PM
Heart of the Continent

You can see the main part of the skyline, but the overall size of it isn't apparent from most places. Approaching Winnipeg from the East on the Trans Canada shows the city well, as does coming over the city's only 'freeway'.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 7:25 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Over achievers
Yellowknife
Vancouver
Calgary
Regina
Mississauga
Toronto
Niagara Falls
Halifax

What you'd expect
Victoria
Kelowna
Edmonton
Winnipeg
Hamilton
London
Saint John
Moncton

Under achievers
Saskatoon
Windsor
Kitchener-Waterloo
St. Catharine's
Oshawa
Ottawa
Quebec City
St. John's
In which section would you place Montreal?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 3:19 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Agreed, the St. James bridge is a good vantage point though!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 3:38 AM
digital b0y

Kitchener, closely followed by Quebec City.

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 5:54 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
In which section would you place Montreal?
I seem to have overlooked Montreal. I'd put them in the 'what you'd expect' category, but only barely. It's on the small size for a metro of 4 million.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 6:12 AM
Look at me!

Quote:
I seem to have overlooked Montreal.
A pattern which seems to be repeating itself quite often in this country, on and off this forum.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 6:14 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
I seem to have overlooked Montreal. I'd put them in the 'what you'd expect' category, but only barely. It's on the small size for a metro of 4 million.
Yes, that would be my assessment as well. It's where I'd also put Halifax, since despite being an overachiever up to perhaps a decade ago, not enough construction has happened to keep pace with the population increases.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 6:27 AM

Wink

I dont know if Windsor is under whelming. I think it might be more of what you would expect. It does need some new condo development in the core, but as for hight we do give London a run at hight with Caesars Augustus tower, its something that can be seen from many places in Downtown Detroit over there own building. The thing is, Windsors skyline is unique, since we are stretched out along a water front you see a lot of high rise condo development stretched out along the the river. where in most other cities it tends to be clustered in the core. If we could push all of our riverfront condos and push them downtown, Windsor would have a impressive skyline for a city of 208 000. 4 Million depending on if you count Detroit

Also reading back a few pages I would just like to Comment on the feeling of being American if your in Windsor. I have lived here all my life and feel very connected with Detroit but never have i felt American. Living in this area is unique for Canadian and Americans. Windorites enjoy may things that Detroit has to offer and often make up a large portion of visitors to events. NHL hockey being the main one, From my understanding Windsor is the biggest community represented at any given game. We enjoy events that you cant get anywhere els in Canada. NHL,NBA,NFL,MLB, NASCAR, INDI racing, Red Bull Air Race, Huge concerts.

Many people think that Windsor is to much of and American city because of Detroit, but the funny fact is Detroit is following Windsors lead on many of their ascetic redevelopments, The Detroit river front beings the main one. We are like family, when they have a big event we gain from it, when we have one, they gain from it. But in the end we are still very Canadian, I think if anything that shows from our packed partying streets when the Spitfires won the memorial cup and most of all when Canada won Gold in Vancouver.
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by RoseCityFreePress; Apr 3, 2012 at 7:55 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 10:47 AM

Windsor needs density and infill. There are too many empty lots littered around downtown. It's a shame that we had such a huge fire back in the day that basically destroyed most of downtowns old stock of buildings (over 100 destroyed).

The city has done a wonderful job with the riverfront and I hope it spawns new condo development, but yet at the same time that will most likely be along Riverside. We could use some more infill in the core.

nice pic btw

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 11:40 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

Having lived in St. John's for five years now, I am very underwhelmed by the city's skyline. It doesn't excite me at all, and St. John's has been incredibly slow in growing with its oil wealth. I tend to be on the fence regarding how I feel about my hometown of Halifax, so St. John's really has room to grow. Quite frankly I'm disappointed, however some new developments that have finally taken off may alter the skyline in the near future.

That being said, having just taken a job with a developer when I graduate in a month, the potential I see is nothing short of exciting.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCityFreePress View Post
I dont know if Windsor is under whelming. I think it might be more of what you would expect. It does need some new condo development in the core, but as for hight we do give London a run at hight with Caesars Augustus tower, its something that can be seen from many places in Downtown Detroit over there own building. The thing is, Windsors skyline is unique, since we are stretched out along a water front you see a lot of high rise condo development stretched out along the the river. where in most other cities it tends to be clustered in the core. If we could push all of our riverfront condos and push them downtown, Windsor would have a impressive skyline for a city of 208 000. 4 Million depending on if you count Detroit

Also reading back a few pages I would just like to Comment on the feeling of being American if your in Windsor. I have lived here all my life and feel very connected with Detroit but never have i felt American. Living in this area is unique for Canadian and Americans. Windorites enjoy may things that Detroit has to offer and often make up a large portion of visitors to events. NHL hockey being the main one, From my understanding Windsor is the biggest community represented at any given game. We enjoy events that you cant get anywhere els in Canada. NHL,NBA,NFL,MLB, NASCAR, INDI racing, Red Bull Air Race, Huge concerts.

Many people think that Windsor is to much of and American city because of Detroit, but the funny fact is Detroit is following Windsors lead on many of their ascetic redevelopments, The Detroit river front beings the main one. We are like family, when they have a big event we gain from it, when we have one, they gain from it. But in the end we are still very Canadian, I think if anything that shows from our packed partying streets when the Spitfires won the memorial cup and most of all when Canada won Gold in Vancouver.
[IMG][/IMG]
Well said, RoseCity, I feel the same way about our area. I think we are very lucky to live here, and enjoy what both Cities have to offer. The area may be struggling economically, but I think that we as Windsorites have a great quality of life here.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 4:01 PM
BANNED

Our goal is to slow urban sprawl, so that urban densification can be the majority form of development in all Canadian cities across the board.

All of our skylines, therefore, are under-achievers.
Even today's Toronto is miniature compared to the Toronto that shall be by the end of this decade.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada