HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Marquee at Block 37 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 2:53 AM
BANNED

Waaa? this is amazing. I can't believe this project. I thought it was going to be such a turd. I was so wrong.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 5:35 PM
TL;DR

What are the spandrels? I can't tell in that photo... clear aluminum, or Miami-esque white?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
What are the spandrels? I can't tell in that photo... clear aluminum, or Miami-esque white?
I don't know, but I'm not sure how I feel about them. They're the same color as the mullions, no? ...they seem to give the curtain wall more texture/modularity than I was expecting. I guess I wasn't expecting as stark a break between the mall and the tower.

I'm also worried about those sharp cantilevered corners and the angular, rhythmic "bays" along State. My initial reaction is that they were forced by a developer who wanted to "spice up" a "boring" design because it was "too boxy" or something.

I know it's still way too early to form anything like a complete opinion, so I'm hoping my concerned prove to be unfounded...

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 7:46 PM
TL;DR

In addition to the Zara expansion:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...311-story.html

Quote:
Block 37... also recently signed a lease with Parisian jewelry brand Les Nereides, which plans to open its first U.S. location in the mall this year.

Also in the pipeline are an 11-screen AMC dine-in movie theater, a restaurant from the Lawless family and a Latin-themed food court from chef Richard Sandoval called Latinicity, which was supposed to debut next month but is scheduled for a fall opening because of construction delays.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 8:17 PM

It's great to see Block 37 get more stores plus new apartments. I think the apartments will be the game changer. It all of a sudden puts a minimum of 500-600 people right at stores' front doors, if most units are taken. Not to mention friends/family visiting people who live there.

Sad to see Latincity delayed, but I hope it'll be great. I mean there's so many different Latin markets in Chicago, but we'll see what they do to attract people there.

I've been to that Zara in Rome too - very nice.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 1:04 AM
The City

^. 690 apts is way more than 5-600 people. More like over 1000

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^. 690 apts is way more than 5-600 people. More like over 1000
No shit, that's why I said "minimum." It's moot anyway - the point is that it puts multiple hundreds of people per day right at the footsteps of these stores that weren't there before and as those people will live right above the shopping, they'll be more apt to shop close to home for everyday type of stuff or activities (i.e. seeing a movie or grabbing something quick to eat).

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
they'll be more apt to shop close to home for everyday type of stuff or activities (i.e. seeing a movie or grabbing something quick to eat).
Is there currently a grocery store in that mall? if so that would be a huge draw.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 3:13 AM
BANNED

Oh man there really needs to be. Another Trader Joe's would be nice. I thought this was only 600 units. That's a lot of people.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 3:38 AM

The closest true grocery store is probably the Mariano's at Lakeshore East. The nice Walgreens flagship on State has some basic groceries too, but yeah. A Trader Joe's or Mariano's or Whole Foods would set that forth a lot into more of a real neighborhood. There is Latincity and I'm sure they'll have all sorts of groceries too, more swayed towards Latin food, but still.

And the exact unit count is 694 for the new building.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 6:53 AM

That Mariano's is going to be a hard sell for the brave new people living in the loop, since it's several long, uphill blocks away and tucked away between the backs of two buildings like some kind of terrible secret. For loop living to really become a thing, there should be at least something like the Jewel Osco in River North around Grand and State that enters right off the sidewalk and has big windows along the whole store so it feels like part of the neighborhood, and doesn't even bother trying to accommodate cars.

Until something comes along, I think these people will be getting a lot of their food from CityTarget, which is a shame because their grocery selection is the worst.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Until something comes along, I think these people will be getting a lot of their food from CityTarget, which is a shame because their grocery selection is the worst.
I have a friend who lives around where B37 is and goes to the South Loop Whole Foods. But I agree - the Loop needs a real grocery store, probably around State or Dearborn or something if it wants to have more residents.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 4:26 PM

The Randolph corridor is really affected by this new tower.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 4:31 PM
The City

^ Sure will be, if anything I wish the building would be even taller to impose on the corridor even more. It's too bad that any sunlight at all is allowed into that corridor. People don't deserve to see the sky, the sky should only be seen by the privileged, with everybody else cowering in fear under massive, oppressive towers.

Nice shot!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 4:36 PM

Sunlight it for suckers!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 4:39 PM

^Nice Neil Blomkampf spec-script

I was at the Argo Tea across the street from B37 yesterday and the new height does make the street feel a little shadier. Not that that's a bad thing. Once the glass is in, it might reflect some light down there.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 8:37 PM
The City

^ I'm looking at these pictures over and over, and I'm guessing the tower has reached about 1/3 of its total height?

Perhaps it's the width, since the building won't be that tall really, but I'm scared now.... I might have to go cry to my mommy....of how overwhelming this thing will be.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2015, 10:21 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^^okayyyy..question: is this 38 floors above the existing mall or 38 floors total? I can't seem to remember...if the former, then the full height when completed will be close to 500', no?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 1:42 AM
The City

^ if you count the floors on the rendering it looks like it is 38 floors above the base

Old Posted Mar 18, 2015, 4:42 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Saw that, you're right - with the base+the residential portion, this could end up having a total height of +475', no? Has that figure ever been provided before? Spyguy, maybe?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive