HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx2m2 View Post
The neighborhood could use high quality rentals. Ball may not have had the staying power as Hoyt Street or Gerding to ride this slow time out.
High quality? That remains to be seen. I wouldn't hold my breath.

People who pay top dollar for premium rentals are not going to put up with his track record of fixing construction defects. If my loft in Marshall Wells had been a rental instead of a condo, I would have stopped paying him rent at about Month 6.

I had not heard about his mudslinging campaign, but I'm not too surprised ...

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
I had not heard about his mudslinging campaign, but I'm not too surprised ...

Hit the papers a day or so, ago.

Ball alleged that he had information indicating Sam Adams conducted an "innapropriate" relationship with an underaged intern.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2007, 7:57 PM

The crane for The Wyatt is coming down today.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 3:41 PM

not sure why this article is coming out this late...but...

Pearl’s Wyatt bails out of condo tower market

Bob Ball’s 15-story project follows the Ladd Tower’s lead and rents as apartments, the latest sign Portland may have more housing than it can sell
POSTED: 06:00 AM PDT Thursday, September 27, 2007
BY TYLER GRAF

When developer Bob Ball decided to downgrade the condominiums in his high-profile, 15-story tower, The Wyatt, to apartments, he believed the market was trying to tell him something simple: There are too many condo units in the Pearl District. The market is too slow.

“It’s always prudent to respond to the market accordingly,” Ball said. “And our goals are to make the place livable and improve the neighborhood.”

Located at 1001 N.W. 14th Ave., the property is rising amid a flush of Pearl District condominiums. Portland developers are pushing urban living as an alternative to the suburbs in the hopes of drawing more dwellers to the urban core.

Current listings for the Pearl District show 173 condo units on the market, with an average listing price of $665,000. The market spectrum is wide, however: The highest listing price is $3.2 million and the lowest is $142,000, according to the Regional Multiple Listing Service.

“We were selling in relation to other projects very well,” Ball said. “But it wasn’t enough.”

The Wyatt is the second major Portland development to convert from condos to apartments in less than a year. The Ladd Tower, developed by Minneapolis-based Opus Northwest LLC, switched to apartments in March.

“We saw what Bob Ball saw, but we may have seen it a little earlier, and we were in a position to make changes,” Opus’ Mark Desbrow said.

Put simply, condos aren’t selling, Desbrow said.

John Bartell, also of Opus Northwest, said market research indicated apartments were a safer market for the Ladd Tower. With a few tweaks – making the floor plates skinnier and lowering the ceilings by a few inches, thus adding floors – the Ladd went from a 220-unit condo building to a 332-unit apartment tower.

Overall, Ball said, would-have-been condo tenants said they supported The Wyatt’s transition from condominiums to apartments, seeing the move as a protection of their investments.

Those who put down money on condos in The Wyatt had their deposits returned, with interest.

But Northwest Portland condominium construction is still going strong: Pacifica Tower, 937, The Encore, The Metropolitan, Waterfront Pearl and The Westerly are going forward.

“Today we have a lot more inventory that hasn’t sold than in the past,” said Patrick H. Kessi, developer of the 937 condominiums in the Pearl District. “What’s happening elsewhere is having a ripple effect on Portland.”

According to the S&P/Case-Shiller home price index released this week, the U.S. housing market in July posted its steepest drop in 16 years. Oregon, however, remained one of five major markets in which housing prices continued to appreciate. For Kessi, one must look at Portland in relation to other West Coast cities like San Diego – cities that are not weathering the housing market downturn quite as well.

Bartell believes the condominium developments currently under construction had the misfortune of breaking ground during a peak in condo performance, when the market looked good. Over the past 24 months – the amount of time it has taken to construct The Wyatt, for example – the market has slowed, but developers are still committed to their condominium towers. “I think they are just finishing what they started,” Bartell said.

Ball said that a priority list exists for The Wyatt’s apartments, and construction is set to finish in early 2008.

http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...d-Towers-lead-

Old Posted Oct 24, 2007, 4:53 PM

It was me who was thinking about buying a unit in the Wyatt. Not being a regular member, I have not checked the boards in a while.

As to discounts. They had me phone #, e-mail address and I live in the neighborhood so would see the agents at least once a week walking down the street. They all knew I was interested, especially if they moved on price. No one ever called me or told me about discounting prices. I was at the sales office twice in the month before that story hit the big "O" and web and one of those times I asked if they would move on price and the answer was "NO'.

As far as I am concerned the whole lot of them had there heads up their collective arse's and wouldn't know how to sell a condo to a customer if their lives depended on it.

I know nothing about Bob Ball other than what I have heard and read round here and at coffee shops in the pearl. I am in real estate and I can say this, his reputation speaks for itself. I, for one, would not buy a unit in a building that had anything to do with him. I am glad I didn't put $ down on the Wyatt. The future headaches seem too much to deal with. All those poor folks in the M Wells building know 1st hand...

Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 8:57 PM

Renter may move in around Jan-Feb 08

The Wyatt was sold to a company based in the Bay area. The building will be turned over to them soon. There is a leasing office on 14th & Lovejoy. Rents will be around $1200/mos for 540 ft^2 to $6200/mos for the penthouse units. The demo kitchen and bathroom had very nice surfaces. The sales people are very approachable and helpful. The antithesis of the Benson sales philosophy
Wyatt Leasing web site
http://www.thewyatt.com/floor_plans.php

I took this image at about 1200 on 30Nov07. I should have stepped back and taken a single shot, but I was in a hurry. The 2nd image was blurry.

These higher end apartments may be a good option for some people who can buy at Pearl prices, but don't want to buy at this time. This might be somebody who has to move every three years or someone who doesn't want to commit at this time especially with economists projecting a 20% depreciation in 25 markets . (1 Fortune magazine), (2 Nourelli Roubini, )
At a minimum it should decrease the depth of the demand side at top dollar and make other rentals more affordable after the market has had time to realize this change.

sources
1.http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/06/real...tune/index.htm
2.http://www.rgemonitor.com/blog/roubini/
3.http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...e_rent_ratios/

Last edited by Castillonis; Dec 2, 2007 at 7:17 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 10:05 PM

Photo of Lovejoy in other thread

I found a photo of the lovejoy posted by Perl_Steve on 9-26-07.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...6&postcount=63

I have to disagree with you about the Wyatt. I really like the building. The red brick is refreshing and the windows were integrated with the brick well. Just my opinion. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder

Old Posted Dec 3, 2007, 10:42 PM

^I have to agree with you. I think the Wyatt makes a terrific background building and fits the Pearl well. They did an excellent job with the brick laying.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 9:12 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

I was of the opinion that virtually all of the brick buildings in the Pearl use red brick.

Mostly I was referring to the massing and tectonics of the buildings, the Wyatt in particular is relatively confused.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 1:23 AM

Has anyone taken a tour of the building or been in an actual unit yet? I've seen some posts on Craigslist and was thinking of going to take a look just for kicks.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 6:05 AM

I went to an open house a few weeks back. The units being shown were quite nice--very high quality finishes--but these were some of the larger, penthouse style units. I also saw a substantially upgraded street level townhouse, and it was lovely. The general feel of the building interior is definitely upscale. I can't imagine that the Wyatt won't convert (revert?) to condos once the market picks up again.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 6:46 PM

And the condo market will rebound.. I think this slow down, in construction, is a good thing. Once the market rebounds we may see new architectural designs and materials than are presently being utilized.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 7:13 AM

I apologize if this has been discussed recently, but does anyone know what's going on with the Wyatt? The building looks to be completely finished but nobody has moved in yet. I walked by the lobby yesterday evening and it looked liked every last detail was finished. Is it taking a long time to make the conversion from condos to apartments?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2008, 10:08 AM

Supposedly they are open for renters? but, from their website, you'd never know it...www.thewyatt.com

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 3:20 PM

Renters have moved in.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 2:50 AM

Looks like they closed the apartment viewing office for the Wyatt. I stepped in a few months back to take a look.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 5:28 AM

Is this the same space that the leasing office was located in or is that a different space?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 7:19 AM

Same space - I went in that exact door not very long ago to look at the mockups documented a few pictures above.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
And the condo market will rebound.. I think this slow down, in construction, is a good thing. Once the market rebounds we may see new architectural designs and materials than are presently being utilized.
This will be great for the south waterfront, maybe the next building boom they can think outside builder tan.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 4:58 PM
Closed account

The rental office has moved into the the first floor of The Wyatt.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland