HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 8:39 PM

New facilities for the mentally ill?

Not too sure which section to put this under, so feel free to move it.

The Vancouver Sun ran a story about a new facility for 150 or so mentally ill and a police report that says about 50% of the cases dealt with the police in the DTES are dealing with the mentally ill:
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...a64339&k=33057

If we opened more of these facilities, I think we'd see a dramatic decrease in crime. The mentally ill would also get the help they deserve rather than being exploited by leeches that prey on them in the DTES.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 10:29 PM

we had a place for them called riverview

than the government decided they would be better off living in the community on welfare

they should have just let things be

most of riverview sits abandoned - other than being used for movies/TV shows

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 2:09 AM

I think the old Riverview was analagous to St. Pauls - it was a much-needed facility, but because of it's great age, size and poor maintenance it was very inefficient. The solution the government is pursuing - many smaller, modern, efficient facilities, hopefully in different locations - is much better.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 2:52 AM

Maybe someone here can clarify a thing for me, I heard that the old remand centre at Gore between Powell and Cordova was supposed to become a emergency care facility for mentally challenged and for drugs users going over the edge any truth to that?
it sure is undergoing a refit at the moment

Last edited by Jacques; Feb 5, 2008 at 2:52 AM. Reason: typo error

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 4:21 AM

not sure if anyone caught the story on the global news hour. it was a pretty sad report on the state of mental illness in vancouver. as much as i wish people could get off their lazy asses to find a job, it has to be recognized that many of those people there are too ill to realize they need help and seek it. not sure if that story is available anywhere on the internet. it's a major crisis and pretty sad to see that shit going on in our city.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 6:05 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Unlike CTV, Global's news stories can be viewed by anyone with Flash:

http://canwest.a.mms.mavenapps.net/m...c-85be2f52449e

Their new video player allows viewers to share their links.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 6:17 AM

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/bc/mi...ell/index.html

here one with Mike McCardell one of my favourites commentator of all times, he's truly has some insight , listen carefully to what he said at the end of the clip, so so true.
I live in Gastown, and its not pretty to watch so many lives being discarded due to mental illness.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 6:34 AM

That's so sad....but it's guys like David Cunningham that prevent these people from getting the help they need. The APC does more harm than good.

I'm shocked by this: "Before 1989 there were virtually no homeless people in Vancouver."

We need to expand and rehabilitate what was closed at Riverview and get these people back in there. The question is, now that they're free and about in the streets how do we get them back in?

Is there any program out there that i can use to record this video? It's one that i would like to keep.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 7:37 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Mike McCardell is one of Global's best reporters. This one just shines his collection of amazing reports.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 7:42 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Is there any program out there that i can use to record this video? It's one that i would like to keep.
if you find one, please tell me.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
http://www.canada.com/globaltv/bc/mi...ell/index.html

here one with Mike McCardell one of my favourites commentator of all times, he's truly has some insight , listen carefully to what he said at the end of the clip, so so true.
I live in Gastown, and its not pretty to watch so many lives being discarded due to mental illness.
It's so sad when he says the before 1989 there were virtually no homeless in Vancouver.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues