HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 13, 2008, 2:47 AM

^ I believe the west line already broke ground. Also remember that the original plan from 2004 didn't start construction till 08-09 for any line, with some lines waiting till '13. Its been awhile, but everything is still going according to plan.

" There is only one duty, only one safe course, and that is to try to be right and not fear to do or say what you believe." - Winston Churchill

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 8:34 PM
Robotic Construction

2009 will bring many updates to this thread!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 9:42 PM

Question

Why?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 1:45 AM
International

This is amazing.

Way to go Denver.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 10:08 PM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchCPC View Post
Why?
Union Station begins construction, the West Corridor Light Rail goes into full construction mode, The Light Rail terminal at Union Station is to be completed by the end of 2009, plus many other design updates, funding updates and PPP proposals should happen by the end of 2009! It will really be the first full year that FasTracks gets going strong.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 11:57 PM

DUDE!

There putting a light rail overpass at 13th and Ka-pling in Lakewood.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 1:31 AM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
Union Station begins construction, the West Corridor Light Rail goes into full construction mode, The Light Rail terminal at Union Station is to be completed by the end of 2009, plus many other design updates, funding updates and PPP proposals should happen by the end of 2009! It will really be the first full year that FasTracks gets going strong.
Actually, this is the year that FasTracks goes to hell. Budget is overblown, project goals cannot be met and, baring a massive infusion of federal funding, the only realistic option is to ask for more money.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 17, 2008, 3:15 AM
Robotic Construction

I totally disagree...

RTD will proceed with construction of the West Light Rail Line, proceed with construction of the Light Rail terminal at Union Station, and not delay these early aspects of FasTracks.

I also think RTD will proceed with the fare increase to help balance the budget with higher fuel prices. RTD will also start charging for parking for any out-of-district parkers and anyone whom stays for more than 24 hours - this will be a solid infusion of funds. For teh remainder of the budget shortfall, I think RTD will look to Public-Private-Partnerships and go with Design-Build-Operate solutions for at least two or three corridors and possibly four corridors.

Not only can PPP's close the budget gap, they have potential for the winning PPP opting to spend a little more money up front for a better technology, such as Electric Commuter Rail (EMU) instead of Diesel Commuter Rail (DMU). In fact, one PPP interested in the Airport line (a Spanish company I believe) is even exploring the feasibility of mag-lev technology for that line.

I think PPP's have the potential to infuse an additional 30-40% into the existing budget.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 1:12 PM
Robotic Construction

Here is a great article about Union Station, it has everything you need to know about what Union Station is and what it will become. I highly suggest you read all 7 pages of this report!

http://www.westword.com/2008-08-14/n...tays-on-track/

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 1:55 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
I totally disagree...

RTD will proceed with construction of the West Light Rail Line, proceed with construction of the Light Rail terminal at Union Station, and not delay these early aspects of FasTracks.

I also think RTD will proceed with the fare increase to help balance the budget with higher fuel prices. RTD will also start charging for parking for any out-of-district parkers and anyone whom stays for more than 24 hours - this will be a solid infusion of funds. For teh remainder of the budget shortfall, I think RTD will look to Public-Private-Partnerships and go with Design-Build-Operate solutions for at least two or three corridors and possibly four corridors.

Not only can PPP's close the budget gap, they have potential for the winning PPP opting to spend a little more money up front for a better technology, such as Electric Commuter Rail (EMU) instead of Diesel Commuter Rail (DMU). In fact, one PPP interested in the Airport line (a Spanish company I believe) is even exploring the feasibility of mag-lev technology for that line.

I think PPP's have the potential to infuse an additional 30-40% into the existing budget.
PPP's were already used, along with large-scale project cut-backs, to bridge the last budget shortfall when the project cost went from $4.7 billion to $ 6.1 billion. I bet you that the new gap will be somewhere in the realm of $3 billion or so. This gap cannot be filled with any scope of PPP's and fare increases (fare revenues only cover about a quarter of RTD's operating budget, excluding development).

RTD is going to need more funding, if it can get a proportional amount of federal funding for FasTracks compared to what was received for the Trex then the budget shortfall picture is not nearly as dire.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 9:21 PM
Robotic Construction

I don't know about a $3 billion shortfall, the estimates I have read says the new budget will come in around $6.7 Billion, making it a $2 Billion shortfall.

Also, the PPP's explored for closing the gap on the $6.1 Billion budget were for 50-year leases. By going with 99-year leases, that could easily close the projected additional $500 Million for the projects budget (from $6.1 Billion to $6.7 Billion).

And you are absolutely correct, that budget is only counting on 40% federal funds. Projects like these are eligible for 40%-60% Federal funds and RTD has only slotted in 40% - which may have been wise.

The recently completed T-REX project received a 60% government fund infusion. If RTD could convince the Feds to fund a 50%-60% match instead of 40% on any or all of the lines, it would help enormously.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 4:41 AM
no its not...

I saw that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by texcolo View Post
DUDE!

There putting a light rail overpass at 13th and Ka-pling in Lakewood.

...it made me happy

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 10:39 AM
Robotic Construction

Union Station Final EIS

The EIS is complete for Union Station! It's a huge read, but well worth it!
here is the link:

Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 5:01 AM
Robotic Construction

The Final EIS for the West LRT line should be released by years end as well. Details to follow...

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 3:09 AM
giggity giggity goo

Does anyone else think RTD is making a huge mistake by only having the West Line go to Union Station without including a stop for those who wish to trannsfer to the D, F, and H Lines?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 6:27 AM
Robotic Construction

I don't really think it's a mistake. The Auraria West Station will have transfers to th the southwest and southeast lines going south. The lines your asking about only run on shared ROW of downtown streets and can only handle three car trains, whereas West Corridor Light rail will handle four car trains. Furthermore, it would prove either very challenging and/or very extension to make that transfer station.

Here are a couple looks at it:West Corridor LRT:

Such a station could be added in the future, but the ridership would be low and it would require an extra line share the West Corridor tracks. and from Union Station (where the west line will go) you can easily get to any of the destination those other light rail lines go), via the free circulator buses.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 6:28 AM
Robotic Construction

Here is a close-up look:
Stations in question, Federal, 10th & Osage, Colfax at Auraria and Auraria West

NOTE: Auraria West and Colfax at Auraria stations are only a few blocks apart
Well with in walking distance. Both these stations are located on the Auraria Campus.
So to transfer to the H D and F lines from Auraria West, would only require
a walk across campus of a few blocks to the Colfax at Auraria Station:

Here you can see the proximity between Auraria West and Colfax at Auraria Station,
as the maps above aren't to scale and make it look farther than it is:

Old Posted Oct 13, 2008, 9:37 PM

So, with all of the current lines named C through H what are the plans for future lines?

Do the only other light rail lines being built to the west get desiganted A and B? A for the Gold line and B for the West corridor?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2008, 2:39 AM
Robotic Construction

It is my understanding that the A-Line is reserved for the Airport EMU line and the the B-Line is reserved for the Boulder DMU line. Also the Gold-Line is to be called just that, the Gold-Line (from my understanding of it).

Old Posted Oct 16, 2008, 12:50 AM
Robotic Construction

Ridership up^

Quote:
RTD ridership tops 100M for first time
Denver Business Journal

Higher fuel costs and increased road congestion are being credited with giving the Regional Transportation District a record 100.66 million passenger trips.

RTD, which operates Denver’s bus lines and light-rail service, said Wednesday the record was set during the 12 months ending in July, marking a 9.15 percent increase from the prior year.

RTD has been around for 30 years, and never before has racked up 100 million passenger trips.

Daily light-rail ridership was an average of 64,000 passenger trips in July, 9.54 percent more than in July 2007.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation