HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 3:34 PM
Round Head

Calgary 1988 - looking back 20 years to the Olympic Games and its impact

City looks back on glory
Calgary was a virtual unknown, until it hosted the '88 Winter Games
Gina Teel , Calgary Herald
Published: Saturday, February 09, 2008

It's been 20 years since Calgary hosted the 1988 Winter Olympics, its citizens bursting with pride, the inevitable result of being swept up in the thrill and excitement of having their fair city showcased to the world in such grand style.

Bragging rights were won by default the moment Calgary became the first Canadian city to host the Olympic Winter Games, a tremendous source of pride that came to embody the swagger and volunteer spirit of the city, at the time a bustling Prairie metropolis of 657,118 people.

There was a sense of awe underscored by anxiety, as many Calgarians secretly wondered how little old Cowtown, snared by a recession, was going to pull off what was, at 16 days, the longest Winter Games with the world watching.

"For civic leaders, the Olympics was an important coming out event," said Harry Hiller, a professor of sociology at the University of Calgary. "It was a way of making people aware of the fact that, here was a city that was, as a result of the growth that had taken place in the mid-1970s to 1980s, 'on the make.' "

Hiller, who studies the urban impact of mega-events, said the Olympic Winter Games are known for sparking the transition process to a more global image in the smaller cities that traditionally host them, and indeed have helped cities such as Lake Placid, N.Y., Lilehammer, Norway, and even Torino, Italy, transition to bigger and better things.

The 1988 Winter Olympics didn't disappoint. Calgary itself was a virtual unknown on the world stage, and in Canada was considered a bit of a regional hinterland, he said. Hosting the the Games was an important step in Calgary's development, Hiller said.

What's happened to the city since then is related to what's happened to the price of oil; the scarcity of the commodity has now put Calgary on the map in an economic sense, he said.

"The Olympics was an important first step, and what has happened since then has been an important second step in the coming of age of the city," Hiller said. Newcomers to the city may find it hard to fathom, but in 1988 Calgary's south side pretty much ended at Midnapore and anything further west of Sarcee Trail was considered a veritable outpost. Silver Springs was pretty much it to the northwest, with the average selling price of a residential home there $117,915. In the northeast, residential sales in Temple were brisk, with homes being snapped up for an average of $83,876.

In Inglewood/Ramsay, homes averaged $64,848, while the average selling price of a home in Mount Royal was $271,220. In Bel Aire/Mayfair, the average selling price was $303,181, according to Calgary Real Estate Board data.

The total value of the city's assessment base, or total property and business assessments in the City of Calgary's jurisdiction, was $17.6 billion in 1988; today it's $242 billion.

Bragg Creek and Redwood Meadows were true rural communities, separated from Calgary's west end by gently rolling farmer's fields, instead of busy commuter hubs at the end of a congested highway lined with bumper-to-bumper luxury mega-house developments. Garrison Woods didn't exist in 1988 and Garrison Green was still the barracks, recalled Richard White, director for Riddell Kurczaba Architecture & Interior Design.

White, a former long-time executive director of the Calgary Downtown Association, also recalled Chinook Centre was in need of a make-over, and the name Paskapoo was being swapped for a new moniker, Canada Olympic Park. Stephen Avenue Mall had no restored buildings and there was only one Bankers Hall - albeit under construction.

Ralph Klein was mayor and Don Getty was Alberta's premier. Calgary was indeed a different city in 1988. White said the C-Train was clean and safe, and people could walk anywhere without fear.

"You used to be able to walk anywhere, Stephen Avenue, Prince's Island, in 1988 and you would never give it a second thought. I think it's very sad that we've become a city that doesn't have that freedom," he said. Calgary may have lost its small-town charm, but on the flip side White said it's experiencing a renaissance in inner-city areas such as Inglewood.

"Right now unfortunately, it's all about traffic and homelessness and violence and transit; it's all the infrastructure problems and yet, if you really had to look at it, it's still a wonderful city," he said. Back in 1988, the city was in the throes of a recession and looking for something to celebrate. The city had gone through a boom, which had disappeared, the economy was sour and optimism was at a low. White recalled going into the Olympics, there were plenty of naysayers prepared for a disaster.

"In the end, there was this huge pride that we were able to pull it off and it was the best Olympics. We came together," he said. For White, the XV Winter Olympics served to unite all the people from across Canada who'd come to Calgary as part of the boom - himself included. In 1995, Calgary grew again when Canadian Pacific Railway Ltd. moved its headquarters to Calgary, as did Shaw Communications from Edmonton and Suncor Inc. from Ontario.

"The Calgary advantage was we had lots of office space, lots of workers, lots of housing, and it was all relatively cheap," White said. There was also plenty of highway and transit capacity, he said. It lasted for about 10 years. "Basically, we had it all, and we've used it all up," White said. "Now we're trying to do catch-up." The Olympics was also Calgary's introduction to Canada in an important way, Hiller said. Calgary's place in the national economy has changed dramatically in the last several years, he said, noting perhaps the biggest indicator of this is that Prime Minister Stephen Harper moved to Calgary from Ontario, and is now representing the western perspective nationally.

"This is hugely significant to a region that always considered itself a hinterland for which it felt alienated," Hiller said. The city has changed in size and become more multicultural. One of the biggest changes here is there's been much more urban-to-urban migration in the city, which Hiller said has brought people who have more urban sophistication to the city.

As a result, downtown highrise living is far more popular than it was 20 years ago, he said. "In that sense, Calgary has become a magnet for a different type of migrant, as opposed to the typical rural-urban migrant who moved from Saskatchewan to Alberta," he said. Hiller said the Olympics brought a lot to the city - the Olympic Saddledome, Olympic Plaza, the Olympic oval (the oval was the first permanent mixed-use structure for speedskating built explicitly for the Olympics) - but in terms of impact, that ship has long since sailed. "It's over. It played an important launch role and it did serve as a marker point in the city's history, and that can't be minimized," he said.

Ditto for Canmore. Once a nondescript mining town that most people drove past on the highway to Banff, Canmore has become a playground for the wealthy and home for people commuting from Calgary.

Long before the infusion of oilpatch wealth, however, Canmore gained international exposure as the host site for cross-country skiing and biathlon during the 1988 Winter Olympic Games. The proverbial Canmore real estate lore has it that back in 1976 a home on a lot downtown could be purchased for $25,000.

Today, that same lot, with no building on it, would be worth more than $1 million. Then again, in the late 1970s there was only one paved road in town, and locals say it was two blocks long. Stuart Curran, with Coldwell Banker Banff-Canmore Realty, has been in real estate in the area since 1977. Interest in the area peaked when the Olympic announcement was made - in 1981.

"I can't tell you how many people I've spoken to over the years that said 'we always saw the gas stations when we went past on the way to Banff and didn't realize there was a town there," Curran said. "Once the Olympic announcement was made, that certainly changed that view, of most people, anyway."

From that point on, with the town's main employer, Canmore Mines Ltd., shuttered in 1979, the impetus was on recreation and that's the direction the town took. With the construction of the Nordic Centre came major infrastructure development, including a new hospital and fire station. In 1988, total residential and commercial construction was valued at $6.5 million. In 2006, the town issued 267 building permits valued at more than $200 million.

Canmore's population, meanwhile, grew from 4,419 in 1988 to about 18,000 today, with a huge percentage of them non-permanent residents. According to the 2006 Census, Canmore's non-permanent population was 4,818 - that's more than the town's permanent population in 1988. The impact on real estate values is legendary. Curran said from 1988 to 2005, there was nearly a seven per cent increase annually in real estate value in Canmore, save 2001.

There was a large inventory available on the market that year, which softened the market. In 2006, there was a 15 per cent jump and last year it probably doubled again. This year, Curran said it's looking in the seven to 10 per cent range across the board, but noted it depends on the property. As far as lots go, there were only a handful available in town on the MLS system on a recent day in February. The average price is $826,000 per lot, he said, noting there are a couple of lots over the $1 million mark that distort the figure.

"You can pretty well say a lot in 1988 was probably in the $50,000 range and now we're over the $500,000 for that same lot," he said. But house prices aren't the only things that have changed in Canmore. At one time, there was a post office that served as the gathering spot. Curran said he went from knowing every person in town to maybe one out of 10, and today one out of 20. However, quality of life has improved. There's fine restaurants, and well-stocked grocery stores. Crime is still minimal and Canmore remains a safe town.

One negative is the amount of traffic in town, especially on weekends. "It can be sort of chaotic," Curran said. "We now have five or six sets of traffic lights that didn't exist back in 1988." In spite of the changes, Canmore still has the physical aspects that attracted him in the first place. "Even though I've lived here for a long time, I still get up every morning and I look at the mountains. It's spectacular," he said.

The growth in Canmore is a bit of a Catch-22 for Gord March, who's lived in Canmore since 1976 and even worked briefly in the mine. As the owner of March's Floor Covering West, the boom has been great from a business perspective. But from a quality of life perspective, things have suffered a bit, in that it's a lot less personable in the townsite itself.

"We do get people coming out from the city and a lot of times they keep the city attitude with them when they drive," March said. "It's just unfortunate. They're good people like everybody else, but we're going at our own pace here and sometimes we get carried along with it, and you see this whole road rage stuff going on with the locals." It's harder to get a restaurant reservation but Canmore still has a pretty darned good quality of life, he said.

The biggest impact is that longtimers are cashing in the chips and leaving Canmore because it's expensive to be there, he said. Back in Calgary, White said the city of 1 million could use an event like the Olympics now to bond all the newcomers who missed out on the 1988 experience.

There's roughly 300,000 people that have arrived in Calgary in the last decade who have no real connection with the city, he said. White suggested Calgary could rally around the Stampede, which will celebrate its 100th birthday in 2012. "We're a teenager going through a growth spurt, and it's ugly and it's awkward," he said.

"But if we could just find some major event, with a huge volunteer component that everybody feels a part of, it would reinforce our can-do attitude."

gteel@theherald.canwest.com

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 4:55 PM
Home of Hyperchange

That's an incredible article. The Olympics really was Calgary's "coming out" to the rest of the country. Before '88, most of Canada really had no clue that there was a city here - I remember the shock when I first visited in '83, because everyone always described Calgary to me as a town, maybe a small city like Thunder Bay. To see half a million people already here was amazing.

As I recall, a lot of the eastern (and heck, some western) media talked a lot during the Olympics about how they couldn't believe how much Calgary had grown. And a lot of commentators would say idiotic things like "sure, but REAL cities get the summer games". I think Toronto's still trying.

Funny to read about the lack of paved roads in Canmore. It seems like everything is paved these days, even in the smallest towns. Our younger forumers probably can't even recall a time when dirt roads were more common than paved, in small towns at least. Heck, I have a hard time remembering, and I grew up on one. I think it finally got paved in 82 or 83.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 4:56 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

More insights from the "urban sociologist" who lives in Arbour Lake.

"Calgary was a city 'on the make.'" That's gold.

On the make: 1. seeking personal gain; 2. seeking sexual conquest.

Even if Calgary WERE just "seeking personal gain," why would it want people to be "aware of the fact"?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 6:00 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh white View Post
City looks back on glory
Calgary was a virtual unknown, until it hosted the '88 Winter Games

that is all that needs to be said. It was a great job by the city..

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 6:54 PM
Change is good

Great article. I would hope a similar effect happens on Edmonton if/when they host the World's Fair in 2017 or 2020. Although I doubt it has the same tv coverage or as large of an audience as the winter olympics, it is still significant enough, and should introduce a lot of people to Edmonton, and even Alberta.
Edmonton's never had something has huge as the Winter Olympics, and I doubt it could ever, with its location. The summer Olympics would just be a huge pipe dream. Though, we have hosted similar events such as the Universiade in 83, the Commonwealth Games, the Worlds in 2001, and I hear the univesity of Alberta wants to hold another Universiade soon.

My question now is, will Calgary ever host another worlds major sporting event again? Or maybe even an expo (though, seems Edmonton's trying to do that first)

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 7:04 PM
Round Head

^ You might remember that Calgary bid and lost the 2005 expo bid to Nagoya, Japan. Expo is something I doubt Calgary will ever bid for again.

As for other large events. I think Calgary will likely bid for the Winter Olympics again at some point. Probably in another 4-5 Olympics after Vancouver 2010 (maybe something like the 2034 games). Calgary actually did bid for 2010 along with Quebec City, but Vancouver won Canada's internal bid.

I don't actually think a Summer bid is out of the question in the longer term. Perhaps a joint Edmonton-Calgary bid. If both cities bloom to well over 2 million, the economy continues to prosper and infrastructure such as HSR and extensive LRT expansions are implemented, there is no good reason why we couldn't handle a summer games.

I'd also love to see Calgary attempt to land some other sporting events, like being in the regular rotation of the PGA Canadian Open tournament, try and get an ATP tennis event and the like.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 7:11 PM
Community Guy

great article...i miss howdy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 7:58 PM
Closed account

Great article and I sometimes wish I could of seen the olympics back then, must of been a great event to witness. It's to bad calgary city council is trying to get rid of Howdy and Hedy from the city entrance signs.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 8:06 PM

Good article. The parts on Canmore were interesting. My mom grew up in Canmore, and a couple of her brothers and sisters still live there. The whole "dirty mining town to exclusive resort town" transformation is something that my mom's side of the family is all too familiar with.

As for the Olympics themselves, I was only 4 and a half at the time, but I went to a few of the events and vaguely remember them. My sister was pushed out of the way by Prince Albert of Monaco at a bobsled event, and members of the Swiss ski team took a liking to my brother, a baby at the time, holding him and passing him around. Apparently my parents saw some Swedish athletes buying condoms at a drug store.

Even though the Olympics of today have a scarred reputation from backroom kickbacks from hopeful host cities as well as doping, I think they are still something that the host cities and regions can look on with pride. The 88 Olympics have made a lasting impression on Calgary. Anyone that goes to U of C knows it is common to see skaters training at the world class Olympic Oval and hanging out in Macewan Students' Centre (they have enormous legs), and of course the ski jumps, Olympic Plaza and Saddledome (still wish it was the Olympic Saddledome) are landmarks in Calgary. I think it is safe to say that Calgary's LRT system would look vastly different, and likely be much smaller if not for the Olympics.

I think that another Winter Olympic Games is possible for Calgary, and agree with Josh that sometime around the 2030s or 2040s would be far enough removed from the Vancouver Winter Games and potential Toronto Summer Games to make it viable. Aside from the Olympics, I think that something smaller, yet still large like the Commonwealth Games, Pan Am Games, would be great to host, and would be a good excuse to build McMahon Stadium's replacement, as well as other infrastructure like LRT and athlete housing which would then be converted to affordable housing.

A few notes about the Winter Olympics. Did you know that the 1976 games were originally awarded in Denver? They were riddled with organizational and funding problems (Denver voters struck down the allocation of public funds), and the games were moved to Innsbruck, Austria, who had hosted in 1964. I can only imagine how much Denver is kicking themselves now after witnessing Calgary's huge success with the games. Also, when Salt Lake City's Games in 2002 were undergoing problems with the bribing scandal as well as rising costs, Calgary was briefly discussed (perhaps only in the media) as a possible plan B if Salt Lake were to lose the Games.

Cities that have hosted the Olympics more than once:

Summer: Athens (1896, 1906 Intercalated Games, 2004), Paris (1900, 1924), London (1908, 1948, 2012), Los Angeles (1932, 1984)

Winter: Lake Placid (1932, 1980), Innsbruck (1964, 1976), Calgary?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 8:22 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid1 View Post
Great article and I sometimes wish I could of seen the olympics back then, must of been a great event to witness. It's to bad calgary city council is trying to get rid of Howdy and Hedy from the city entrance signs.
They're gone from the signs already Mid, replaced with those new white "Heart of the New West" signs.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 10:47 PM

I feel old. I worked at the Pin Trading Center on 8th Ave (the North Convention Center covers part of that site now) during the day and at the closing ceremonies at Olympic Plaza every night. That was considerable excitement for a 16 year old Grade 12 student, and probably the first time I actually thought of Calgary as a desirable place to live.

I doubt another major event could no much to improve Calgary's fortunes much like I don't think the Olympics will do much for Vancouver beyond what Expo 86 has already accomplished.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 5:55 AM
Booooring!

correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the Calgary Olympics one of the few Olympiads that actually made a profit?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 6:03 AM

^I think it was one of the first (after the 1984 Los Angeles Games) that made a significant profit, and almost all of the Olympics since have made big profits.

Of course most people know about the 1976 Games in Montreal that were a financial disaster that Montrealers were still paying for up until a few years ago.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 9:25 AM
Inflatable Hippo

I really enjoyed the olympics, although I really wish they had keep the Olympic Pavillion at the Calgary Tower running instead of moving some of the stuff to the museum at COP that has no visitors to speak of.

A few years ago I came across a whole box of the promotional videos that had been made for the olympics in the early 80's, unfortunately alot of the earliest ones from before it was offical are lost to history as just try finding a machine that can play a Sony U-Matic tape.

I was able to go to a couple of the hockey games and some speed skating events.

I still have a purple Calgary 88 banner hanging in my house, my reaction of them at the time was "kraft dinner puked on a purple table cloth" but I guess it has grown on me with time.

I also really liked the Olympic christmas light display at Confederation Park instead of the usual Christmas one.

The then Nova - now Nexen building also put up a display of really strange modern art that included the projection of a naked man trying to claw his way through glass, the Devonion Gardens always had activities going on, usually around the skating rink that I don't believe if there anymore (I haven't been up there since the olympics)

There were natives protesting outside the Glenbow Museum over a European collection of native art that just happened to be in town at the same time,

If I recall correctly I think the public festivites surrounding the olympics would have begun on New Years Eve,

Last edited by Policy Wonk; Feb 11, 2008 at 9:42 AM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 2:04 PM

I've got 3 Olympic banners. More fond memories...climbing up a light standard with a wrench and screwdriver while my brother watched for cops.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 2:43 PM
Home of Hyperchange

The only souveniers we had (not living here and all) were some of the pins and those PetroCan glasses with the gold leaf - basically the gas station promotions was about all we saw in the sticks. My parents were very keen to keep some in "mint" condition, because of course these will be valuable collector's items in 20 years, right?

After moving to Calgary and hitting up many garage sales (my guilty pleasure), I realized that at least 1 in 3 Calgarians seems to have stockpiled several dozen of these glasses, pins, books, you name it. Every summer I've been tempted to pick up several hundred of the glasses - at a dime a piece, tops! - and send a huge shipment of "valuable collector's items" back home.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 3:32 PM

Calgary's 2010 Winter Games bid was innovative in that it wouldn't have required any government funding at all - probably too far ahead of its time.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 3:56 PM
not a NIMBY

John Gilchrist had an old but funny joke about the Olympics in the Herald on Sunday-

How many Calgarians does it take to change a light bulb?

4. One to change the light bulb and 3 to stand around and reminisce about the 88 Olympics!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 4:03 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Calgary's 2010 Winter Games bid was innovative in that it wouldn't have required any government funding at all - probably too far ahead of its time.
OR

Calgary already had the 1988 games, and it was time to give it to someone else?

Plus, if I recall correctly, COP needed soem major upgrades, so NO government money was a stretch.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2008, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonchuck View Post
OR

Calgary already had the 1988 games, and it was time to give it to someone else?

Plus, if I recall correctly, COP needed soem major upgrades, so NO government money was a stretch.
The COP upgrades were to happen and are happening independent of the Olympics.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy