HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 5:11 AM
heavy user of walkability

South Park

the renovation of South Park has started. pics basically walking west to east along the southern edge

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 7:50 PM
Get me out of here

If you guys haven't seen this super high resolution panorama from Coit Tower, I definitely recommend checking it out. It's presented by Bud Light, so you have to enter your age, but the resolution on this thing is blowing me away. You can just keep zooming and zooming... I promise you won't be disappointed.

https://sanfrancisco.fancam.com/2016/

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 5:43 PM
Transport Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantw View Post
If you guys haven't seen this super high resolution panorama from Coit Tower, I definitely recommend checking it out. It's presented by Bud Light, so you have to enter your age, but the resolution on this thing is blowing me away. You can just keep zooming and zooming... I promise you won't be disappointed.

https://sanfrancisco.fancam.com/2016/
I found a baguette on someone's kitchen counter

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 8:59 AM

Sales Force Tower Construction

I got my first view of the Salesforce tower construction tonight.

Salesforce Tower - 02/05/2016

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 10:45 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
I got my first view of the Salesforce tower construction tonight.
Jerry, are you watching the thread for it? http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...199946&page=66

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
I found a baguette on someone's kitchen counter
That is nuts, someone left dirty dishes on their table. Wonder what camera they used to stitch that thing, most detail pano I have ever seen.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 8:57 PM

I can see into my dining room window...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 12:18 AM
Build Baby Build

Today all around the Transbay Center.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 5:50 AM

the little project between Fourth and Fifth on Bluxome

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 7:21 AM

Potrero1010

sidewalks are opening around Potrero1010. this is the 16th St side

and Hubbell again, on the NW side

Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 12:43 AM

A couple new infill projects for Polk and South of Market:

1567 California

Quote:
...if approved at the end of this month, a seven-story building with 63 condos over 8,000 square feet of new retail space and an underground garage for 41 cars will rise up to 80-feet in height on the southeast corner of Polk and California.
Source and more info

988 Harrison

Quote:
he proposed 8‐story building to rise at 988 Harrison Street, on the northeast corner of Sixth and Harrison across from The EndUp, is slated to be approved by San Francisco’s Planning Commission at the end of this month.
Source and more info

Also, a 32 story proposal at 95 Hawthorne:

Quote:
Another tower may soon rise in SoMa's growing Transit Center District.

The owners of 95 Hawthorne at Folsom Street have submitted plans to demolish the existing five-story office building in favor of a 32-story, 320-foot-tall residential tower with off-street vehicle parking and ground-floor retail space.
Source and more info

Lastly, I'm not sure what the status is of this one, but it's great to see some new architecture on the west side of the city.

Parkmerced Block 20

Quote:
Parkmerced Block 20 is a part of the Parkmerced Vision Plan to develop a vital neighborhood rooted in forward-thinking urban ecology. Kwan Henmi is currently designing the 299-unit residential complex that includes an 8-story midrise and a 17-story tower. The 435,000 sf project contains studios, one-bedroom units, 2-bedroom units, 3-bedroom townhouses, 2 residential lobbies, fitness, and amenity space.
Source and more info

Last edited by 1977; Feb 11, 2016 at 4:48 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2016, 7:26 PM

wow, would be nice to have that height, and new people, on Hawthorne there.

some random things...

views of the Dropbox headquarters on Brannan, which is just about wrapped up. here is the back, looking north along Stanford Alley. there is still a parking lot between this building and the restaurant Tres to the south on Townsend.

I think the building fits in nicely with the SOMA vibe. close-up of the alley:

a little sitting area on the alley

the sidewalk on Brannan is a step up in esthetics from your parents' SOMA

down the street, Splunk building gradually finishing up too:

jumping down to Dogpatch, the project on Third at 23rd seems to be moving slowly to me

not sure people care too much about this type of project, but Muni is expanding its facility on Islais Creek. the little creek-front walkway and landscaped area that was put in when the first phase was constructed has seen better days

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 4:07 AM

the block 6/7 thread is closed, so here's a shot of the townhomes on the north side of Solaire

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 5:09 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
the block 6/7 thread is closed, so here's a shot of the townhomes on the north side of Solaire
I wish they'd stop closing threads before projects are completed. The balconies on the tower have not been finished yet either.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 6:18 AM
dazzle me

wow, that's terrible. i know many people from the industry read ssp and i know that there are many constraints down the line, but what's being built out in the soma/rincon is just a total abdication of the responsibility that developers have to the city. it's hard to get something interesting through planning, and it costs a lot. but this streetscape wouldn't even be interesting in san diego.

for the employees reading this recently hired on by some of the newer players in the sf market, hear this: it may seem smart to do the minimum and suck money back to miami or boston but, trust me, the 60 million you paid for a whatever property nearby gets more expensive to develop once the SF backlash sets in. you build shit here, the people will punish you. do your research. you can only build so badly for so long until the 30 million you've managed to pull out of the market over the past year or two is instantly vaporized by a ballot initiative that hits the other lots you paid top dollar for.

edited to split into two text chunks.

Last edited by a very long weekend; Feb 16, 2016 at 3:53 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 6:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
wow, that's terrible. i know many people from the industry read ssp and i know that there are many constraints down the line, but what's being built out in the soma/rincon is just a total abdication of the responsibility that developers have to the city. it's hard to get something interesting through planning, and it costs a lot. but this streetscape wouldn't even be interesting in san diego. for the employees reading this recently hired on by some of the newer players in the sf market, hear this: it may seem smart to do the minimum and suck money back to miami or boston but, trust me, the 60 million you paid for a whatever property nearby gets more expensive to develop once the SF backlash sets in. you build shit here, the people will punish you. do your research. you can only build so badly for so long until the 30 million you've managed to pull out of the market over the past year or two is instantly vaporized by a ballot initiative that hits the other lots you paid top dollar for.
Developers have no more responsibility to the city than any other business, nor do they have a responsibility to cater to your individual preferences. The fact that every two-bit chump in this city thinks otherwise, and the fact that we stupidly give them a means via which to turn their NIMBy outrage into disrupting development is a reflection of SF's lousy civil institutions, not lousy development.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 4:00 PM
dazzle me

^ sure, you can take some principled position against nimbyism or developer responsibility, but it's irrelevant to how things actually work. you're baying at the moon, my friend. i'm warning that if developers continue to build in such a way that makes displeases san franciscans, eventually san franciscans will punish. we've seen it many many times. most dramatic, i think, was the sweeping prop m restrictions voted back in 1986, which, if you dig through the archives, turned more on aesthetics than anything else. if you've been to a community meeting, you'll know how often the built form itself comes up.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 4:09 PM

Eek ^^^^^^^ San Francisco is spoiled with riches. Most ciies would be happy to have a quarter of the development that she has. But in terms of architectural quality San Francisco has always been the whole is greater than sum of its parts type of place. Every city has junk built but in San Francisco it stands out more. Maybe that's why some feel safer with the bland than with the bold. But for all the mediocrity and loss opportunities that the nimbys, red tape and boarding has given the city it has also saved it on more than one occasion.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
wow, that's terrible. i know many people from the industry read ssp and i know that there are many constraints down the line, but what's being built out in the soma/rincon is just a total abdication of the responsibility that developers have to the city. it's hard to get something interesting through planning, and it costs a lot. but this streetscape wouldn't even be interesting in san diego.

for the employees reading this recently hired on by some of the newer players in the sf market, hear this: it may seem smart to do the minimum and suck money back to miami or boston but, trust me, the 60 million you paid for a whatever property nearby gets more expensive to develop once the SF backlash sets in. you build shit here, the people will punish you. do your research. you can only build so badly for so long until the 30 million you've managed to pull out of the market over the past year or two is instantly vaporized by a ballot initiative that hits the other lots you paid top dollar for.

edited to split into two text chunks.
I assume you are talking about the affordable housing complex Solaire posted above? Because NIMBYs can't complain they want affordable housing *and* expensive aesthetics. Doesn't work like that. So SF either has affordable housing and bland aesthetics mixed in, or nothing but Infinitys and Luminas with no affordable housing.
The other projects in Soma posted above look pretty damn good to me (particularly the Dropbox development and streetscape).

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 7:35 PM
Surrounded by Nature

The tower looks good and surprised many of us. Affordable housing is what it is, but we desperately need it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations