HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 2:04 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 19, 2019 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 2:59 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 2:05 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: mchlanc793

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 1:44 AM
New Yorker for life

NOVEMBER 19, 2019

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 5:09 AM

As someone else has already mentioned it would be great if the hotel redevelopment could be pared back from the street a little a la 1 Vandy so we could get a better view of GCS (#11). 3 buildings sporting spires virtually side by side that would be tremendous.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 2:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoM Trespasser View Post
As someone else has already mentioned it would be great if the hotel redevelopment could be pared back from the street a little a la 1 Vandy so we could get a better view of GCS (#11). 3 buildings sporting spires virtually side by side that would be tremendous.
That's what I always envision. But it's a tricky site. The hotel is practically a part of Grand Central, with some corridors running through and next to it. There's the issue of the streetwall and the Park Avenue overpass. And just how much public space will this site require. I'm sure all of those issues are being worked on as we speak. But I want a skyscraper that continues the pattern of both Chrysler and Vanderbilt. Vandy's spire is 300+ ft higher than Chrysler. I think a spire that much higher than Vandy would balance it.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 7:11 PM

Perhaps this is a controversial opinion, but I worry that something of such significant height might finally utterly dwarf the Chrysler Building. One Vanderbilt is a fair distance away from it, but this new building is practically right next to it. How many views would there be that would have Chrysler be prominent like it was designed to be? It's the difference between being adjacent from a supertall and being in the shadow of one. I hope whatever is built is respectful of it like and even more so than One Vanderbilt has been.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 3:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camstonisland View Post
Perhaps this is a controversial opinion, but I worry that something of such significant height might finally utterly dwarf the Chrysler Building. One Vanderbilt is a fair distance away from it, but this new building is practically right next to it. How many views would there be that would have Chrysler be prominent like it was designed to be? It's the difference between being adjacent from a supertall and being in the shadow of one. I hope whatever is built is respectful of it like and even more so than One Vanderbilt has been.
The Chrysler building will be dwarfed, no doubt about that. But the New York skyline has never been one that was frozen in place. The Flatiron was at one time a more noteworthy skyscraper, as was the Woolworth. They are still noteworthy towers, but for different reasons other than their height. The Chrysler Building will always be the Chrysler Building, but it is already greatly surpassed in height by other towers on the skyline, even from One Vanderbilt from some angles. And the Chrysler Building is nearing it's 90th birthday. I don't think we should resist building on the basis of a tower that was built nearly a century ago, particularly in a city where skyscraper ambition and height went hand in hand for so long. It's time for the "Chryslers" and "Empire States" of this century to be built.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 3:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 21, 2019 at 3:45 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 10:36 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: FC

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 2:54 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 22, 2019 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:47 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

These threads need to be one day be saved and kept in some museum via some flash drive. Great pic sets in many of them. Threads that need to be saved: Every NYC super tall in the last 5 years.

Guarded like the constitution or Declaration of Independence. Lasers, trap-doors, drones, you name it!

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 9:02 PM
New Yorker for life

^ We will at least have the archived threads.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5OkEPTgUYj/

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:39 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: killianmoore

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 1:08 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 27, 2019 at 1:42 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 6:34 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Michael Young

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 10:19 AM

ooh we are getting close to seeing crown glass put up! those last three levels under the crown are for the observation decks correct?

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:37 PM
BANNED

^I believe I've said this before, but I actually mean it this time. The few photos above are the greatest set of photos ever to be posted to this forum.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 3:39 PM

Quote:
those last three levels under the crown are for the observation decks correct?
I believe it's the last two floors under the crown and the first floor of the crown. The 1st floor of the crown is partially open air with the angled parapet not having a steel and glass ceiling

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^I believe I've said this before, but I actually mean it this time. The few photos above are the greatest set of photos ever to be posted to this forum.
I think you're absolutely correct. They're beautiful. Golden hour, as they say in photography.

BTW - I was bowling in my league the other week and noticed that one of our member's was wearing a "One Vanderbilt" tee with his local affiliation printed. I asked him how he came to be associated with the construction of the building and he informed me that he was one of those iron worker that installed curtain wall. I inquired as to the delay in finishing the curtain wall. He informed that the measurements were off a couple of inches, and that they for waiting on necessary corrections.

It's truly amazing that technology has gotten to the point where every detail, including all the utilities and such, are layout to precise measurement. Especially for a building the was built in the systematic fashion as this one was.

Anyway, IMHO, this was more than a few weeks ago. Can't imagine it would take that long: I mean, its seems to have been months we've been waiting for the wall to continue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive