HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 12:58 AM

Does the Atlanta/Charlotte rivalry make sense?

I've seen lots of comparisons lately, and I'm not sure why. They are different in so many ways. Thoughts?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 1:34 AM
Closed account

It's a one way rivalry.

Charlotte tends to strive on becoming or surpassing Atlanta (prior to the recession, it was actually a point of brag by some residents/leaders). But Atlanta barely gives Charlotte a passing thought, as they're just not on the same level.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
I've seen lots of comparisons lately, and I'm not sure why. They are different in so many ways. Thoughts?
That doesn't mean it's an actual "rivalry."

But they are regional economic competitors, along with the Triangle, Nashville, Tampa, etc.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 1:59 AM

I didn't know there was a rivalry. lol

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 5:12 PM

Charlotte is a nice city, but not in the same league. Similarly with Nashville. People sometimes bring up these comparisons, but they are out of line with population statistics and growth rates past and present. The valid statistical comparisons to Atlanta are Houston, Dallas, and Miami. And, as far as I know, there is no rivalry between these cities and Atlanta. (except in sports- but in that case the biggest rivalry is between NO and ATL).

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 5:20 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i have never heard of this rivarly.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 5:24 PM

Never heard of this rivalry, and don't understand why they would be considered "so different". They obviously share strong regional similarities, like NYC-Philly, Chicago-Milwaukee, LA-SD, etc.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 5:29 PM

^ totally that. charlotte as a built environment is pretty similar to atl, probably the most similar city twin. atlanta is clearly bigger and offers more, but the similarities are there (just like chicago and milwaukee, nyc and philly)

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Ive never thought of them as a Rivalry. Actually I tend to think of the Carolinas and southern half of Virginia as one "region" and Atlanta being the center of GA, N Florida, MS, AL and parts of Tennessee

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Ive never thought of them as a Rivalry. Actually I tend to think of the Carolinas and southern half of Virginia as one "region" and Atlanta being the center of GA, N Florida, MS, AL and parts of Tennessee
I don't think of Atlanta and Charlotte as a "rivalry".

However, I do feel as Upstate South Carolina and the Charlotte area of North Carolina is more in a region that includes Atlanta more than it would be in a region that would include the southern half of Virginia.

Northern NC (Raleigh, Durham, Winston Salem, etc) is more regional to parts of Southern Virginia -- i.e. Tobacco Road, etc.

Also, the centrality of Atlanta does not extend as to cover all of Alabama or even all of Georgia let alone Mississippi.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i have never heard of this rivarly.
Having spent a lot of time in Charlotte, they do have a focus on Atlanta. Having spent a lot of time in Atlanta, they don't seem to be very aware of Charlotte.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L41A View Post
I don't think of Atlanta and Charlotte as a "rivalry".

However, I do feel as Upstate South Carolina and the Charlotte area of North Carolina is more in a region that includes Atlanta more than it would be in a region that would include the southern half of Virginia.

Northern NC (Raleigh, Durham, Winston Salem, etc) is more regional to parts of Southern Virginia -- i.e. Tobacco Road, etc.

Also, the centrality of Atlanta does not extend as to cover all of Alabama or even all of Georgia let alone Mississippi.
100% agree with this... Charlotte is definitely more southward focused, and Raleigh more aligned with the areas north of it.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 9:31 PM
BANNED

Charlanta! No rivalry needed. It'll grow together. Similar built form, similar climate, neither city has great sports franchises.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Charlanta! No rivalry needed. It'll grow together. Similar built form, similar climate, neither city has great sports franchises.
Except for Atlanta United! And don't forget the Falcons - they are pretty good much of the time and despite the Super Bowl loss to NE, most teams don't play in the Super Bowl. And the Braves are pretty good as well.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Having spent a lot of time in Charlotte, they do have a focus on Atlanta. Having spent a lot of time in Atlanta, they don't seem to be very aware of Charlotte.
The city's business and civic leaders are certainly aware of Charlotte and have been ever since it stole most of Atlanta's banks in the 90's and early 2000's.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 12:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
Except for Atlanta United! And don't forget the Falcons - they are pretty good much of the time and despite the Super Bowl loss to NE, most teams don't play in the Super Bowl. And the Braves are pretty good as well.
True, true.

I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of legendary status.

I was a huge Braves fan in the 1990s. John Smoltz, Avery, no gloves wearing - Terry Pendelton, David Justice, Ron Gant, among so many others, those were the dudes back in the day.

I used to hit up the Durham Bulls in person and used to love the Braves -- still do to some extent.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 12:51 AM

Atlanta is in a totally different "tier" than Charlotte, so I've never really thought about this rivalry.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 1:22 AM
Beer Stampede

I've never heard of it either between those two cities, but then again, I don't live out that way. Not sure why there would be one outside of sports.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 3:36 PM

I've been in Charlotte since 2010. I think sporting rivalry is there, sometimes we're competing for the same company relocation so there's a bit of that as well but that is not something many in the metro area are rallying behind.

The most I see is we look at Atlanta as our future path and in some ways what to do and what not to do. Sometimes perception is more on the what not to do side in regards to sprawl and traffic though we have our own issues there. The growth we're seeing folks on other boards into urban development compare to Atlanta of the 80's, I don't think many try to stack up where we are today to where Atlanta's growth has them at today.

As someone mentioned that Charlotte-Greenville-Atlanta I-85 corridor is seeing large amounts of growth and that should hopefully only benefit our region as a whole.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 1:20 PM
Closed account

Well this stinks...

Atlanta's SunTrust Bank to merge with BB&T, shift HQ to Charlotte

https://www.wsbtv.com/amp/news/local...deal/916033270

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions