HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 4:52 PM

Seen this article posted over in the Fredericton thread and noticed its relevance to this thread. Certainly substantial size hotels for Goose Bay and Argentia. Guess the industrial activity is picking up a lot more than we realized in Argentia, and Goose Bay can't add property fast enough. A friend of mine is working up there and paying $1000/month for a room. Not an apartment, just a room. This won't fix that, but just to show the demand for living space of any kind.

Pacrim, Driftwood launch partnership in bid to build $100m in new properties
Quote:
The joint venture announced Monday means Pacrim Hospitality Services Inc. of Bedford and Driftwood Hospitality Management, LLC of Miami will target new growth opportunities across Canada, but particularly on the Atlantic coast.

New 100- to 300-room full-service and extended-stay properties are being planned in the Bedford-Sackville area, as well as near Fredericton, Argentia, N.L., St. John’s, N.L., Goose Bay, N.L., and Golden, B.C.

“We have agreements in all of these markets,” Pacrim chief executive officer Glenn Squires said in a telephone interview from New York City, where he is attending the NYU International Hospitality Industry Investment Conference
http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...split-the-bill

Old Posted Jun 12, 2013, 6:12 PM

Looks like there is another Google Streetview update coming for Newfoundland. Their car just passed in front of my house about 5 minutes ago... looks like I get to be one of those unfortunate blurred faces on Google.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 6:49 PM

Corner Brook

A couple of updates from my recent trip to Corner Brook:

The city's sewage treatment facility complete with tower crane

IMG-20130616-00145

Zellers to Target conversion at the Corner Brook Plaza. I can confirm now that Starbucks WILL be included in the new Target store.

100_2622

Corner Brook Junior High School (Former Regina High redevelopment) will see all the city's junior high school's amalgamated into 1 building. Terrible picture but I couldn't get anywhere near the front of the site on account of road work that had the area closed off.

100_2624

First new building on Broadway in 20 years, Glidden Paints is expanding with a new 2-storey building that will include apartments upstairs.

100_2626

The former Interfaith Seniors Home is being redeveloped into an apartment/condo complex. Not sure if it is still being geared toward seniors or not.

100_2629

Old Posted Jun 29, 2013, 7:05 PM

awesome, nice to see some of the stuff going on on the other side of the island. I hope to make a trip out there this summer (I've never been)

Old Posted Jun 30, 2013, 3:36 AM

I'm visiting Clarenville and Bonavista this weekend, and I'll be posting some photos on the new developments happening here within the next few days.

The town of Clarenville seems to be deciding on where to move next...and it looks to be on the north side of town - Article Here.

Last edited by RRoome; Jun 30, 2013 at 3:36 AM. Reason: Elaborating point.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 9:33 PM

I've been quite busy... haven't had much time to post new photos, but there's some more things I'd like to share.

I've also stopped into Long Harbour recently, and they have begun constructing the new Middle Pond subdivision which will have rec space, townhomes and condominiums. Big things ahead for such a small community!

As the image for the subdivision plan is way too large to post, here is the link to the website ( http://www.longharbourhomes.com) and the subdivision plan.

Last edited by RRoome; Jul 2, 2013 at 9:41 PM. Reason: Image dimensions were too large

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 7:14 PM

Just some houskeeping from around town:

At the mall:
Shoppers Drug Mart has moved into it's new location as an anchor store.
Ardene has begun work on it's new concept store located in the former Shoppers location
City Streets, the Halifax based retailer with one NL store, located in The Village in St. John's, will be moving into the space currently occupied by Ardene.

A&W is constructing a new restaurant across from the mall at the corner of Queen and Prince Rupert. The intersection is already terrible since people do not know how to navigate it and will stop on Queen St to let traffic go, even though there are no stop signs. This causes problems when traffic, obeying the law, comes through and gets cut off by a driver being waved out by someone who shouldn't be stopped. Hopefully traffic lights are installed soon. People here drive incredibly slow and think they can do anything because of it. Here's the site as Russel's Funeral Home is demolished to make way for more unnecessary fast food:

100_2655

Main Street:
Burger King has supposedly purchased a block of land currently used by Crown Taxi. However, the only sale of land downtown that I could track down is on Prince Rupert Drive next to the new Hyundai dealership which would be a better location for a building with a drive-thru anyway.

And our new streetlights are up, active, and hung with planters on the south side of the street. The north side has planters and Theatre Festival banners (though not visible in this photo). Red brick sidewalks have been extended from Queen Street to West Street on the south side where they previously only existed in front of a few storefronts. Work was also done to slope the sidewalk up to doors and eliminate step-ups to make all buildings wheelchair accessible. This brick crosswalk has also been added at Zion Drive, something I hope continues on all side-streets intersecting with Main.

100_2656edit

It is exceptionally laid-back here today on account of people being gone for either Salmon Fest or the Powwow in Flat Bay, plus the weather is awesome so it's a great day for golf, hiking, fishing, etc...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
The intersection is already terrible since people do not know how to navigate it and will stop on Queen St to let traffic go, even though there are no stop signs. This causes problems when traffic, obeying the law, comes through and gets cut off by a driver being waved out by someone who shouldn't be stopped. Hopefully traffic lights are installed soon. People here drive incredibly slow and think they can do anything because of it.
One of the things that makes me the most angry in this province.

Anyway, thanks for the update. I saw the article about the A&W and couldn't place it; but now I've figured it out Would be interesting for Stephenville to get a Burger King too (in addition to Deer Lake) while Corner Brook sits on their hands.

Speaking of CB, you missed the new Wing'in It location behind Subway when you were up by the old Interfaith Old Folks Home: https://www.facebook.com/WingNItCornerBrook?fref=ts. Also, NewfoundSushi is building a front deck to provide more seating and have a bigger presence on Broadway.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi View Post
One of the things that makes me the most angry in this province.

Anyway, thanks for the update. I saw the article about the A&W and couldn't place it; but now I've figured it out Would be interesting for Stephenville to get a Burger King too (in addition to Deer Lake) while Corner Brook sits on their hands.

Speaking of CB, you missed the new Wing'in It location behind Subway when you were up by the old Interfaith Old Folks Home: https://www.facebook.com/WingNItCornerBrook?fref=ts. Also, NewfoundSushi is building a front deck to provide more seating and have a bigger presence on Broadway.
Thanks for that! I was wondering where Wing'in It was supposed to open, I love that place in St. John's. Very happy to have it on the west coast now! And I've also been very suprised by how much sushi caught on in Corner Brook. It really doesn't seem like the kind of thing that the people would go for, but man they love it.

Anyway a couple of more business openings from Stephenville, courtesy of Monday's paper, just small independant shops but it's always great to see people taking a chance and starting their own businesses:

- Common Grounds Coffee Shop is opening on Main Street and including a small outdoor seating area.
- Coast Clothing is opening a small store in the Subway building.

It says a lot about an area's economic stability when people try to start niche shops like these.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2013, 12:02 PM

Here's the difficulties with doing business in Corner Brook that I've been speaking about for a while now. This is the reason for the city's stagation and population decline, essentially bureaucratic process which makes setting up shop in the city near impossible.

City can do more to show it is open for business: Hammond
Quote:
... He also said there’s a customer service component to it. While there is an expressed open environment, Hammond said when people go to city hall to get help, they don’t find it.

“That open environment doesn’t necessarily exist.”

He said it’s concerning to hear members say that it’s hard to do business here because the whole idea of a government is to create a climate within which to ensure business can begin, thrive and grow.
http://www.thewesternstar.com/News/L...s%3A-Hammond/1

Deer Lake has benefited hugely from Corner Brook's lack of support for new business with a new industrial park, and they do a lot to try and attract new business and activity.

Stephenville developed this website/attraction program: http://liveworkgrow.ca/ and have adopted the Bizpal system, making all the necessary permits available online. This makes it really easy to get through the regulatory process.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2013, 2:39 AM

I apologize for not posting the photos of Clarenville sooner. There is a lot more being developed than I had a chance to post. Lots of road building is happening in the new industrial core.

Focusing on residential (which, for Clarenville, is good news), this map shows a large as-of-yet unmarketed subdivision in Shoal Harbour valley.

The red roads from Taverner Pl to Gregory Pl are new from this year, and have water/sewer already in. The roads seem to be planned to go north (over the hill), and three streets going east. I'm guessing this because of the way the storm sewers are installed (four in groups, facing an imaginary intersection) and the lack of water valves in these areas.

http://imgur.com/0PX5zge

I apologize for using IMGUR, I'm having trouble with my Flickr account.

http://i.imgur.com/uACOaKi.jpg
This is a bridge on the new road.

http://i.imgur.com/2xDvTe0.jpg
This is a panorama, roughly 120 degrees, from west on the right, to southeast on the left showing the intersection between the two main roads. The yellow arc on the map shows the angle of the photo.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 1:38 AM

About two weeks ago the Town of Stephenville finalized a deal with government to take over ownership of the West Coast Training Centre. This is awesome. Former users continued protests for the entire month the building was shutdown, even erecting a "graveyard" across the street with names of all the user groups that had lost their spaces due to the closure. Government still operates facilities that fulfill the same roles in Goose Bay and St. John's, as well as municipal pools in Corner Brook and Central, and more community recreation facilities at the Pepsi Centre and Aquarena. If they are going to cut us since it was a "community facility" I expect the rest should also be axed... but they won't be. But more to the point of my post:

The YMCA has submitted an operation plan to the town outlining how they would utilize the building and will be doing a tour/evaluation of the building on Friday with representatives from the national YMCA association. If all plays out, this will actually be a great addition to our town which resulted from incompetance of our 2 MHAs.

Link to audio from CBC Morning Show discussing the possible Stephenville YMCA:
http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/Local...ID/2400727647/

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 10:51 PM

Fracking Could Create Thousands of Jobs

Quote:
Proposed fracking operations on the province's west coast could translate into a large number of long-term jobs for the region. That's according to the CEO of Black Spruce Exploration. Dave Murray told VOCM Backtalk with Tim Powers that if given the go-ahead, oil extraction using hydraulic fracturing on the west coast could have a great economic impact.

He says the project has the potential to create up to 10 thousand full-time jobs over an eight year period.

The controversial practice has yet to get government approval, and public concern continues to grow. Murray says some of those concerns are legitimate and the industry has found ways to ensure that protections are put in place. He says protections are put in place to ensure against the contamination of drinking water and ground water. Water hydrology tests will be conducted by the company before any drilling takes place to make sure there is no contamination once drilling gets underway.

The company is proposing to conduct hydraulic fracturing west of Gros Morne National Park.

UNESCO has already warned that industrial development in or near the park could jeopardize its World Heritage status.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...37741&latest=1

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
Fracking Could Create Thousands of Jobs

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...37741&latest=1
There have a number of municipal councils on the northern peninsula that have said the same and would love to get the work. Right now, UNESCO status and the tourism industry provide thousands of jobs but only for a few months of the year. Fracking has been done safely thousands of times across Canada and the U.S. They need to adopt rigorous safety standards and allow the process to go ahead. It's no more dangerous, and I would even venture so far as to say it's safer, than the deep sea drilling currently taking place offshore.

Corner Brook News:

West Street starting to become a little more inviting, says business owner and resident
Quote:
Brenda Lee has lived and operated a business on West Street for more than 20 years. She’s excited about the changes she’s seeing in the area.

From new businessess opening, to existing ones sprucing up their properties and people choosing to live there, Lee thinks the downtown portion of the city is experiencing a revitalization.
http://www.thewesternstar.com/News/L...and-resident/1

It paints a pretty positive picture, but I would say read the comments and 2.5 are rather negative. Fortunately, Neville Greeley is no seeking re-election to the Mayor's chair. So that is a big positive for the city.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 11:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Fracking has been done safely thousands of times across Canada and the U.S.
Sources?

No one has made a scientific claim that fracking is safe. They cannot: they refuse to disclose the thousands of chemicals that are mixed with our freshwater during the fracking process -- water which must be stored underground forever because it becomes far too toxic to permit evaporation.

Aside from permanently destroying large volumes of drinking water, regions in which fracking takes place are at risk for earthquakes, but the most obvious side effect of fracking is the human health concern from neurotoxins (i.e.: headaches and developmental problems in children).

By "done safely," I think you mean to say "done without enough public complaints to stop it."

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Sources?

No one has made a scientific claim that fracking is safe. They cannot: they refuse to disclose the thousands of chemicals that are mixed with our freshwater during the fracking process -- water which must be stored underground forever because it becomes far too toxic to permit evaporation.

Aside from permanently destroying large volumes of drinking water, regions in which fracking takes place are at risk for earthquakes, but the most obvious side effect of fracking is the human health concern from neurotoxins (i.e.: headaches and developmental problems in children).

By "done safely," I think you mean to say "done without enough public complaints to stop it."
It has been carried out safely for natural gas and/or oil in New Brunswick, Saskatchewan, and B.C, among others.

The chemicals which are used are of proprietary nature and specific to the company which uses them and protects that combination for business reasons. Much the same as engineering firms do not disclose the nature of their work when under contract to other companies. Most of what is used is a combination of water and sand with chemicals used primarily to loosen what's there and help draw it out.

Nobody has firmly linked the occurance of earthquakes to the use of fracking methods to withdraw oil. Correlation? Earthquakes have occured in areas where fracking has taken place, yes. They have also occured in places where there hasn't been fracking. Much the same as fracking has taken place in locations where there have been no earthquakes.

I fail to see how it destroys large volumes of drinking water. We're going a thousand meters down, far below the water table. Unless gravity pulls the fracking fluid up, I have no fears.

The instances in which fracking has caused issues which have been widely demonstrated in TV documentaries such as the Nature of Things and Gasland were mainly cause because of a lack of knowledge. Fracking was carried out in places like Pennsylvaia when it was a very new process. Fluids were injected at high pressures causing fissures to open which allowed the fluid to flow upward in it's over-pressured state. It then pushed itself and natural gas upward into the water in isolated locations.

Since Newfoundland has a widely documented and understood geology, particularly the west coast because of interest in the development of various mineral deposits, fracking can be carried out safely and efficiently with far less impact on the natural environment than either the Alberta tar sands (and produce a higher grade product than the tar sands) or the Newfoundland offshore. There would be fewer scars on the landscape and a lessened chance of a major blowout, such as occured in the US Gulf region, in a valuable and delicate environment such as the Grand Banks, no-less. The NL government is currently investigating fracking in various jurisdictions of North America for the purpose of documenting the positives, negatives, and difficulties of such processes.

When, not if, fracking takes place, it will be done safely. It will be done for the benefit of Newfoundlanders and their communities. It will benefit them and it will be for the best.

It's a whole lot of hoopla that environmentalist groups exploit for their benefit to great success, not unlike the seal hunt.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
About two weeks ago the Town of Stephenville finalized a deal with government to take over ownership of the West Coast Training Centre. This is awesome. Former users continued protests for the entire month the building was shutdown, even erecting a "graveyard" across the street with names of all the user groups that had lost their spaces due to the closure. Government still operates facilities that fulfill the same roles in Goose Bay and St. John's, as well as municipal pools in Corner Brook and Central, and more community recreation facilities at the Pepsi Centre and Aquarena. If they are going to cut us since it was a "community facility" I expect the rest should also be axed... but they won't be. But more to the point of my post:

The YMCA has submitted an operation plan to the town outlining how they would utilize the building and will be doing a tour/evaluation of the building on Friday with representatives from the national YMCA association. If all plays out, this will actually be a great addition to our town which resulted from incompetance of our 2 MHAs.

Link to audio from CBC Morning Show discussing the possible Stephenville YMCA:
http://www.cbc.ca/player/Radio/Local...ID/2400727647/
What facility does the province run in St. John's? The Aquarena has nothing to do with the province, and neither does the Pepsi Centre. I don't understand why they would continue to operate any of them.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 5:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It has been carried out safely for natural gas and/or oil in New Brunswick, Saskatchewan, and B.C, among others.

The chemicals which are used are of proprietary nature and specific to the company which uses them and protects that combination for business reasons. Much the same as engineering firms do not disclose the nature of their work when under contract to other companies. Most of what is used is a combination of water and sand with chemicals used primarily to loosen what's there and help draw it out.
AGAIN: sources?

Engineering firms are not storing carcinogenic waste water underground like fracking companies are. The chemicals are not disclosed because there would be a public uproar.

Creating short-term jobs now is apparently more important than the long-term safety of Newfoundlanders and Labradorians.

Quote:
Nobody has firmly linked the occurance of earthquakes to the use of fracking methods to withdraw oil. Correlation? Earthquakes have occured in areas where fracking has taken place, yes. They have also occured in places where there hasn't been fracking. Much the same as fracking has taken place in locations where there have been no earthquakes.

I fail to see how it destroys large volumes of drinking water. We're going a thousand meters down, far below the water table. Unless gravity pulls the fracking fluid up, I have no fears.

The instances in which fracking has caused issues which have been widely demonstrated in TV documentaries such as the Nature of Things and Gasland were mainly cause because of a lack of knowledge. Fracking was carried out in places like Pennsylvaia when it was a very new process. Fluids were injected at high pressures causing fissures to open which allowed the fluid to flow upward in it's over-pressured state. It then pushed itself and natural gas upward into the water in isolated locations.

Since Newfoundland has a widely documented and understood geology, particularly the west coast because of interest in the development of various mineral deposits, fracking can be carried out safely and efficiently with far less impact on the natural environment than either the Alberta tar sands (and produce a higher grade product than the tar sands) or the Newfoundland offshore. There would be fewer scars on the landscape and a lessened chance of a major blowout, such as occured in the US Gulf region, in a valuable and delicate environment such as the Grand Banks, no-less. The NL government is currently investigating fracking in various jurisdictions of North America for the purpose of documenting the positives, negatives, and difficulties of such processes.

When, not if, fracking takes place, it will be done safely. It will be done for the benefit of Newfoundlanders and their communities. It will benefit them and it will be for the best.

It's a whole lot of hoopla that environmentalist groups exploit for their benefit to great success, not unlike the seal hunt.
You've misunderstood. When I asked you for sources, I didn't want more of your opinions about fracking. I would like to know where you got your scientific proof that fracking has been proven safe.

You're coming off as though you have a limited awareness of what is done during the fracking process, since you seem ignorant about what happens to the waste water that is produced. The water may never again be used; it must be stored underground forever. This is an obvious indication that fracking is not a sustainable practice, especially since freshwater supplies are going to become increasingly challenging to maintain due to climate change.

Lemme guess... you think climate change is a hoax by environmentalists too, eh?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 6:53 PM

Work well underway to bring a new hotel to Corner Brook
Quote:
Roger Jones, a developer and realtor in Corner Brook, is envisioning an accommodation complex — highlighted by the possibility of a Super 8 hotel — along the south side of Grenfell Drive and Cpl. Pinksen Boulevard.

He has inked a franchise deal with the hoteliers Wyndham Hotel Group and said the deal with Corner Brook to purchase the land is all but finalized...

The five-acre lot is expected to result in a hotel with accommodations in excess of 80 rooms, with expansion opportunities of up to 130, Jones said.
http://www.thewesternstar.com/Busine...Corner-Brook/1

This would be the first new hotel in Corner Brook in my lifetime as far as I know. Likely to be a Super 8, not swanky but it'll get the job done. Though it is disappointing if they plan on aiming it at the convention/business market to take advantage of the Pepsi Centre.

Little known fact: As of this past summer, the only Holiday Inn on the west coast is located in Deer Lake. Corner Brook's Holiday Inn changed over to a "Greenwood Inn and Suites" some years ago and Stephenville's became a "Days Inn" back in July. Including a Comfort Inn in Corner Brook, only 4 hotels on the west coast are affiliated with a corporate brand. The rest are independant.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 2:21 PM

Offshore Wind Farm on West Coast Annouced

Quote:
A major new industry with up to 600 jobs is in the works for Western Newfoundland. IN Corner Brook this morning Beothuk Energy announced plans for a large scale offshore wind farm and a manufacturing facility in the west coast city.

Beothuk is currently in the planning stages with the Corner Brook Port Corporation for what they say will be a green form of energy with very low environmental impact. As for the manufacturing facility, it will take the form of a GBS, a gravity based system, similar to that used on Hibernia, but a bit smaller.

Beothuk's Kirby Mercer says oil and gas reserves are being depleted, creating a greater demand for clean, green energy. He says their plan is to harness the energy from offshore wind to help generate power. He says the wind farms will be developed up to 50 miles offshore, with no noise or visual pollution.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&ID=38724

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces