HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
We met with County Supervisor Sheila Kuehl’s transportation office today. The meeting was amazing. It’s interesting how many people don’t know about linear induction motors and the value they can bring in getting going over the hill rather than under (Sepulveda Pass). They were super open as was Metro when we met with them 3 weeks ago. We are going to transform our city starting with the Sepulveda Pass savings of $4-6 Billion opening up possibly to find new lines not ok drawing board. Join us tomorrow at 7p if you want to be with us as we make this move. Invitation in above post
A surface route paralleling the expressway can't have a station in the center of the UCLA campus, at least not without a circuitous elevated routing over one miles of surface roads. Also, linear induction transit tends to be slower than light rail and definitely slower than heavy rail. Also it can use more electricity at high speed and its advantages in rain are of no use in Southern California.

A tunnel will enable light rail/heavy rail to travel between Ventura Blvd. and UCLA in just five minutes. A surface route using slower trains between those two points is at least 10 minutes and pushing 15.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
A surface route paralleling the expressway can't have a station in the center of the UCLA campus, at least not without a circuitous elevated routing over one miles of surface roads. Also, linear induction transit tends to be slower than light rail and definitely slower than heavy rail. Also it can use more electricity at high speed and its advantages in rain are of no use in Southern California.

A tunnel will enable light rail/heavy rail to travel between Ventura Blvd. and UCLA in just five minutes. A surface route using slower trains between those two points is at least 10 minutes and pushing 15.
They could spend a little bit more time as well explaining why the Meneren Corp patented "HyRail" is technologically superior enough to existing linear induction transit systems like Vancouver Skytrain to justify effectively giving the company a monopoly over LA transit, especially since Meneren is shown as the partnered "expert team" behind the project on the website. The Meneren Corp website could also use an update, there haven't been any changes on it since 2010. Would also be a good idea to have them list some of the major transit projects they've designed/built/financed to completion, right now seems to be mostly paper projects and a few rual toll roads. I would disclose any financial considerations Meneren may have given to the HyRail group and any personal/business relationships any of the membership may have too, just to forestall any legal/ethical questions as to if Hyrail constitutes a de facto lobbying arm of Meneren.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will O' Wisp View Post
They could spend a little bit more time as well explaining why the Meneren Corp patented "HyRail" is technologically superior enough to existing linear induction transit systems like Vancouver Skytrain to justify effectively giving the company a monopoly over LA transit, especially since Meneren is shown as the partnered "expert team" behind the project on the website. The Meneren Corp website could also use an update, there haven't been any changes on it since 2010. Would also be a good idea to have them list some of the major transit projects they've designed/built/financed to completion, right now seems to be mostly paper projects and a few rual toll roads. I would disclose any financial considerations Meneren may have given to the HyRail group and any personal/business relationships any of the membership may have too, just to forestall any legal/ethical questions as to if Hyrail constitutes a de facto lobbying arm of Meneren.

Over-promise, under-deliver.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 5:27 AM

delete

Last edited by hughfb3; Sep 14, 2018 at 5:20 AM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Love the discussion and you all bring up great points that I’d like to address. The Segmented Rail Phased Induction Motor in Hyrail was developed by the US Government with approval from President Clinton and Congress at Sandia National Laboratories and is the fastest Linear Induction Motor to date. I invite you to read up on it here. The reason why it’s non existent up until now in physical form is the same reason we didn’t build the purple line in the ‘90’s when it was supposed to be built (at much lower cost). We can blame the apathy of the American people in the ‘90’s and ‘00s’ to public transportation. I will include your feedback in our next website update to include Sandia and the US Government and how it’s faster than traditional LIM. Thank you. I would love for you to post what you find about it as well

Also, I am the founder of HyRail Los Angeles. I’ve been a member of this forum since 2006 and you can look up my history of posts. I am someone who believes that there is newer technology out there that can save us Billions if we are willing to get out of our own way. I believe in our great city and am willing to fight to create our future. Would love for you to come and join us at our next meeting and you can folllow us on social media @thehyrail and #thehyrail. We love constructive feedback.

https://www.sandia.gov/media/NewsRel/NR2000/seraph.htm
That's nice and all, but you didn't really reply to any of my concerns.

You must understand that when a self described grassroots transit organization solely advocates a plan which would give hundreds of millions of dollars and total control of a major city's public transit system to a single private corporation, while said corporation is registered as the "expert team" partnered with that organization, it looks a bit suspicious. If the base technology was developed by the US government patent free, why is Hyrail only advocating for using their corporate partner's patented version of it? If the focus here is on saving LA money, wouldn't it be better to have a bidding process with other companies experienced in linear induction transit systems so LA can choose the most cost effective P3 partner? Especially since Meneren Corp doesn't appear to have any real world experience with projects anywhere close to this scale, if LA chooses to build such a system they might be better off picking someone other than Meneren to design/build it.

But if this is about what's best for LA transit and not Meneren's pocketbook that shouldn't matter should it?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 7:27 AM

Metro did a 2017 study of building a Monorail to the Inglewood stadium, which included cost estimates derived by looking at costs elsewhere and adjusting it to the LA real estate and construction market (page 174 of pdf):
http://libraryarchives.metro.net/DPG...appendices.pdf

The estimate was $561 to $800 million per mile. I think the Hyrail people should use these numbers because the low numbers on its website are misleading. LRT/HRT cost would be cheaper if it is based on global (or even national) averages for LRT/HRT construction, but things will cost more to build in LA.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 5:00 PM

"Grassroots" organizations are a group of investors in disguise, or it's a political organization funded by old white guys (i.e. the Tea Party).

How do you stall a transit project? Establish a "grassroots" organization to distract the media and distract the process.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
"Grassroots" organizations are a group of investors in disguise, or it's a political organization funded by old white guys (i.e. the Tea Party).

How do you stall a transit project? Establish a "grassroots" organization to distract the media and distract the process.
While I won't dispute that, but in this case given Hyrail's single minded focus on promoting the cause of one small company's patented technology, the self-admitted extremely close relationship between Hyrail and Meneren, and the lack of any real evidence of membership beyond its founder (even my student org put up the board member's names/faces on our website, just to show we were an actual group with multiple people in it), it's very possible that the whole thing is just the owner of Meneren or one of his employee/friend's dubious attempt to obtain a massive public works contract for his quite frankly unqualified firm.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 8:09 PM

*EDIT: I can see how the message on the website may seem very one way and exclusive to one company. I have adjusted the "About Us" to include many of the points you all have made and greater reflect our mission of Metro including options of linear induction transit for the pass. Thank you for your feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by numble View Post
Metro did a 2017 study of building a Monorail to the Inglewood stadium, which included cost estimates derived by looking at costs elsewhere and adjusting it to the LA real estate and construction market (page 174 of pdf):
http://libraryarchives.metro.net/DPG...appendices.pdf

The estimate was $561 to $800 million per mile. I think the Hyrail people should use these numbers because the low numbers on its website are misleading. LRT/HRT cost would be cheaper if it is based on global (or even national) averages for LRT/HRT construction, but things will cost more to build in LA.
This was a great read. One thing to consider for a short spur of a people mover/monorail rather than a full scale longer line, is the cost to build a maintenance facility. This study is proposing a 1.1-2.48 mile concept... a facility must be build along this corridor amidst very expensive, high demand land. This adds greatly to per mile cost of a system as a facility alone is $100-$300million. The $561-$800 million per mile is actually more closely associated with the total project cost because of the short distance.

Last edited by hughfb3; Sep 14, 2018 at 5:38 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 1:51 AM

Quote:
He is not accurate about what Valley residents want. The Robbins Bill prohibited surface rail and only allowed a subway on the Orange Line corridor. It’s the opposite of what he says. The legal block prevented surface rail and only allowed an expensive subway.

https://urbanize.la/post/city-counci...-line-possible
Interesting. Thank you for posting that. I am more open to the idea of surface light-rail along the Orange Line Corridor as a lot of ROW exists so as long as all intersections are grade separated. Even smaller roads would likely require the trains to slow down if I'm not mistaken and every minute saved helps attract more potential riders.

Elevated heavy rail over Van Nuys is something I'd be in favor for but would likely be met with much more opposition from nearby residents.

As for monorail through Sepulveda Pass as hughfb3 wants, it's all fun talking about what could be, but the second the talks reach a level where they become serious, I bet it will get shut down overnight. Hell will freeze over before elevated rail of any kind is built through the Sepulveda Pass.

I don't know too much about monorail vs. other types of rail and how they hold up. I have been researching more about rail and haven't researched monorail too much. From what I have read, monorail is significantly slower than heavy rail. It might cost more, but its important we do it right.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 6:39 AM

Quote:
This was a great read. One thing to consider for a short spur of a people mover/monorail rather than a full scale longer line, is the cost to build a maintenance facility. This study is proposing a 1.1-2.48 mile concept... a facility must be build along this corridor amidst very expensive, high demand land. This adds greatly to per mile cost of a system as a facility alone is $100-$300million. The $561-$800 million per mile is actually more closely associated with the total project cost because of the short distance.
The numbers on the chart are actually misplaced. The cost per mile and total capital cost numbers should switch places. The actual cost per mile ranges from $201-$469 million per mile. This still is roughly comparable to Metro's ROM of $120 million per mile for aerial LRT (page 36 of this pdf: http://media.metro.net/projects_stud...t%20Report.pdf).

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 6:41 AM

Quote:
*EDIT: I can see how the message on the website may seem very one way and exclusive to one company. I have adjusted the "About Us" to include many of the points you all have made and greater reflect our mission. Thank you for your feedback

You can delete any mention of Menren from the website, but continuing to lobby for an idea you or someone close to you has a personal financial stake in will bring up countless legal/ethical issues, which only multiply if don't disclose them upfront. Believe me, you are not the first person to make this mistake. Here in SD there are several people who've become almost jokes in the local government/industry after spending years trying to sneakily promote their business to everyone in earshot. It's a small world in local government, and reputation is everything.

Provided you wish to continue advocating for linear induction transit systems independent of any relationship you may have with Menren, both you and Menren should be aware that even in the event LA does choose to implement such a system Menren won't be receiving the contract to design/build it. To be quite bluntly, Menren is unqualified to be involved in projects of this scale. Whatever patents on minor technological improvements to linear induction transit it may possess, that won't outweigh someone like Bombardier's decades of experience actually building such systems in North America. So any work Menren does for Hyrail can be considered charity, because Menren won't ever be seeing any financial gain from it. If spending countless unpaid hours lobbying for a project that will eventually earn Bombardier millions (and potentially save LA a ton of $$$ too, if you're right about the benefits) doesn't sound like a reasonable use of your or Menren's time, you might want to reconsider some things.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 7:17 AM

Today I sat in LA traffic for 1hr 20 min to go 8 miles. Everyday I sit in traffic is enough motivation for me to fight for what I believe in. I voted for measure M and measure R for transit and am fully invested with my tax dollars in making sure we have have the best system. I vote in EVERY election, especially the local ones and know that our democracy only works if we are ALL willing to vote in EVERY election, pitch our ideas and create the future we want. Our system is only broken because not enough average people vote or take time to volunteer and/or create for their community, and the wealthy minority or the vocal nimbys run things. Sometimes people invest their time in stuff even if it doesn’t make them money because they believe in something... I go to neighborhood council meetings, city council meetings, I volunteer and mentor kids at a middle school in Hollywood. Los Angeles is MY CITY, my community, I have a say and so does everyone else that lives here!!!! what do you believe in?

By the way, we have a list of all LIM companies and plan to contact Bombardier, Hitachi and the others to bid for the Sepulveda Pass and Incase you haven’t noticed, it will be a P3. Some company is going to get chosen by our elected officials (people that I chose to represent ME), I’d much rather the 10 million people in the county fight for who They believe in rather than complain when the result comes. Our system runs on 2 currencies, Money and People! but we have it backwards. The money only has the power if the people are divided.

This is a transit forum created to share ideas, NOT BASH THEM. Let’s share and create together!!!!!

Last edited by hughfb3; Sep 14, 2018 at 7:56 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 8:05 AM

Quote:
The numbers on the chart are actually misplaced. The cost per mile and total capital cost numbers should switch places. The actual cost per mile ranges from $201-$469 million per mile. This still is roughly comparable to Metro's ROM of $120 million per mile for aerial LRT (page 36 of this pdf: http://media.metro.net/projects_stud...t%20Report.pdf).
Thank you Numble. I love that you are putting up informational literature in your posts for us to read. I haven’t seen that worksheet. Where did you find it?

It’s interesting they have a $120 mil per mile quote for Aerial LRT in this 2012 study. Im curious why Crenshaw phase 2 which is mostly elevated costs closer to $300 m per mile. Does anyone know or have a source?

Last edited by hughfb3; Sep 14, 2018 at 8:28 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 9:16 AM

Quote:
Thank you Numble. I love that you are putting up informational literature in your posts for us to read. I haven’t seen that worksheet. Where did you find it?

It’s interesting they have a $120 mil per mile quote for Aerial LRT in this 2012 study. Im curious why Crenshaw phase 2 which is mostly elevated costs closer to $300 m per mile. Does anyone know or have a source?
I found the worksheet in the 2012 study of the options for the Sepulveda Pass. You can see that they have other cost items in the report, such as $504 million/mile for subway.

Here is Crenshaw North's feasibility/alternatives study:
https://www.metro.net/media/projects...shaw_north.pdf

All options contemplate a tunnel at the beginning and end of the alignment. As you can see on page 18, if a street is less than 60 ft wide, they need to go underground. On page 29, they comment that the La Brea option can reduce costs by $600 million if they go with an at-grade option in Hollywood.

Page 129 of the PDF splits out the aerial and tunneling portions of the different options. Every option except La Brea has more miles of subway tunnels than of aerial viaduct. La Brea has 3 miles of tunnels and 3.3 miles of aerial viaduct.

You can see how they applied the 2012 ROM costs (adjusted for inflation) to the Crenshaw North:

La Brea ($3 billion estimated cost in 2017 dollars):
3 miles subway @ $504 million/mile
3 underground stations @ $100 million/station
4 portals @ $50 million/portal
3.3 miles aerial @ $120 million/mile
4 aerial stations @ $50 million/station (Expo's Culver City station was $54 million in 2008)
= $2.5 billion in 2012 dollars

Adding in inflation of 3% per year (Metro says 2-4% inflation), that is $2.9 billion in 2017. So it looks like things are in line with the 2012 ROM cost spreadsheets. I didn't cover all costs. There are 2 "aerial transitions" and 2 "long-span bridges" that I did not include because I don't know how much they cost.

By the way, West Hollywood is not in favor of any lines that use aerial viaducts. Their city council are prepared to formally oppose aerial alignments:
https://www.wehoville.com/2018/09/05...uncil-members/

Quote:
Residents of the city’s West Hollywood West neighborhood and members of the City Council spoke out Tuesday night against the idea of an elevated Metro line along San Vicente Boulevard, with some also expressing concern about a possible elevated line along La Cienega Boulevard.
Quote:
Leslie Karliss, speaking for the West Hollywood West Residents Association http://www.whwra.org/, expressed concern about the impact on the neighborhood of an elevated train along San Vicente. She said that an analysis by Metro of the options shows that the benefit of an extension along San Vicente isn’t significantly better for riders or businesses than the other options, nor that much more expensive. However an elevated rail extension along San Vicente would “cut in half an established family of single-family residents and would have a negative environmental impact,” she said.

Karliss’s concerns were echoed by Richard Giesbret of WHWRA and Kimberly Winnick, another resident of the area. Winnick described the stretch of San Vicente from Melrose to Santa Monica Boulevard as a “festival space” bordered on the west by West Hollywood Park and the West Hollywood Library and on the east by the Pacific Design Center with its large open plaza. “Together they can be a fabulous public space, but not if you have an El down the middle of it,” Winnick said, using a term to describe an elevated train.
Quote:
City Councilmember John D’Amico said that the Council should tell Metro it won’t support an elevated or on-grade line along San Vicente or La Cienega. D’Amico called out what he described as insensitive decisions by Metro in demanding that West Hollywood make clear its opposition without waiting for Metro to finish its analysis of the five options. One thing he called out was Metro’s elimination of an extension to the Sunset Strip as an option.

“Metro is not putting a line to the Sunset Strip, the most famous boulevard in Southern California, maybe other than Venice,” D’Amico said. “… It’s just extraordinary to me how blind they are. They don’t know what they’re doing when it comes to West Hollywood. They’re completely unconscious.”
Quote:
Council members John Heilman and Lauren Meister and Mayor John Duran also expressed their opposition to elevated or ground-level rail lines. Councilmember Lindsey Horvath, who has been one of the most active council members in lobbying Metro for the extension through West Hollywood, said no one has actually advocated for an aerial line along San Vicente Boulevard. Horvath said she is confident that West Hollywood has Metro’s attention because of its willingness to commit to investing in the extension.

Last edited by numble; Sep 14, 2018 at 9:41 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 7:04 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
By the way, West Hollywood is not in favor of any lines that use aerial viaducts. Their city council are prepared to formally oppose aerial alignments:
https://www.wehoville.com/2018/09/05...uncil-members/
Looks like the San Vicente option is out. A subway station (instead of an aerial one) at SV/SM greatly increases the project cost total to probably just under $5 billion. No opposition (yet) for elevated along La Brea.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 7:24 PM

That is a wealth of information Numble. Thank you. Im all for the more direct La Brea route of the Crenshaw line Light Rail. What sort of transit does West Hollywood want to see?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Today I sat in LA traffic for 1hr 20 min to go 8 miles. Everyday I sit in traffic is enough motivation for me to fight for what I believe in. I voted for measure M and measure R for transit and am fully invested with my tax dollars in making sure we have have the best system. I vote in EVERY election, especially the local ones and know that our democracy only works if we are ALL willing to vote in EVERY election, pitch our ideas and create the future we want. Our system is only broken because not enough average people vote or take time to volunteer and/or create for their community, and the wealthy minority or the vocal nimbys run things. Sometimes people invest their time in stuff even if it doesn’t make them money because they believe in something... I go to neighborhood council meetings, city council meetings, I volunteer and mentor kids at a middle school in Hollywood. Los Angeles is MY CITY, my community, I have a say and so does everyone else that lives here!!!! what do you believe in?

By the way, we have a list of all LIM companies and plan to contact Bombardier, Hitachi and the others to bid for the Sepulveda Pass and Incase you haven’t noticed, it will be a P3. Some company is going to get chosen by our elected officials (people that I chose to represent ME), I’d much rather the 10 million people in the county fight for who They believe in rather than complain when the result comes. Our system runs on 2 currencies, Money and People! but we have it backwards. The money only has the power if the people are divided.

This is a transit forum created to share ideas, NOT BASH THEM. Let’s share and create together!!!!!
I have a great love of transit, in fact I've been involved in several major transit projects. There are a lot of dirtier aspects to massive multi-million dollar infrastructure projects, and a lot of people looking out to make a quick buck. Perhaps that's not you, but judging by your unwillingness to comment on your relationship with Menren, beyond stating "we have a preference that we're proud of" in a now deleted post, I have to assume you are in some way affiliated with them. And if you are, organizing a volunteer group in support of a potential project with direct financial benefits to you or someone close to you crosses some very major ethical boundaries. As much as I love transit I can't be involved with any pro-transit orgs, at least not in my home city, precisely because I'd be de facto acting for my own benefit.

Now, I'm an employee of a much larger firm than Menren, one large enough that that it's going to bid on about any major project that comes up just as a general rule. That puts a lot of limits on me, ones which someone affiliated a much smaller company might not have. But having the founder of a pro-transit group revealed as a employee/close friend of a company attempting to bid on transit projects won't just destroy the reputations of both those groups, it'll leave a bad taste in everyone's mouths for transit and linear induction. And I don't want to see that, because LI is actually some really cool tech with a lot of potential benefits for mass transit.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
Looks like the San Vicente option is out. A subway station (instead of an aerial one) at SV/SM greatly increases the project cost total to probably just under $5 billion. No opposition (yet) for elevated along La Brea.
This is fantastic news for the project, actually. WeHo is definitively overplaying their hand in asking for La Cienega or San Vicente fully below grade.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSMP View Post
This is fantastic news for the project, actually. WeHo is definitively overplaying their hand in asking for La Cienega or San Vicente fully below grade.
While I see your point, I worry how this might play out in the local political sphere. WeHo has been the main drive behind this project, and their stated willingness to pay up to 30% of the costs instead of the usual 5% no doubt has been a key factor is getting things to where they are already. An at grade rail line running through the outer corner of their city is not going to generate any enthusiasm from them, at worst we're looking at a protracted battle over if WeHo "deserves" this funding and a ton of political posturing. For better or for worse local govs in LA are very sensitive to citizen pressure, getting pulled in multiple directions will really gum up progress as all sides pull up roadblocks whatever they don't like.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation