HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 3:12 PM

Doesn't matter what we say. The CFL has stated that they want to appeal to a younger crowd. Therefore the CFL is a 60+ league...end of story

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 4:42 AM

The most National Championships of any other Canadian sports team,
The Saskatoon Hilltops Three-peated to win the Canadian Junior Football Championship title for third time in a row in Langford, BC yesterday. This makes 19 times and a Canadian record for National Championships by a football team for Saskatoon & the Hilltops, Regina teams have won the title 18 times before.

http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/loc...atoon-hilltops

Last edited by SaskScraper; Nov 14, 2016 at 4:54 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 5:38 PM
It's Hammer Time

New Canadian pro soccer league makes major hire
Paul Beirne was also the first employee of Toronto FC

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/...es-major-hire/

In a major step toward its projected 2018 debut, soccer's Canadian Premier League has hired its first official employee.

And, in the Canadian footy world, he's a biggie.

Paul Beirne, who was also the first employee of Toronto FC, is the project manager for the new professional league which he says will start play with "six to 10 teams across the country." Most will be there for the projected league kickoff in 2018, he says, although some might wait until 2019 to begin play.

"It's totally viable (for 2018)," Beirne told The Spectator Monday morning. "I'm just helping sift through what is real and working hard to make it happen."

Beirne was TFC's vice-president of business operations from 2006 until leaving the club in 2013 to join the Ottawa Senators of the NHL as vice-president of ticketing, then to second-tier British soccer franchise Brighton as its head of commercial development.

Long before finally enjoying on-field success the past couple of years, TFC had been a smash hit off the field and in business circles, and the bulk of the credit was given to Beirne and his department.

"Paul is known as one of the best soccer business executives in Canada," says Scott Mitchell, CEO of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, who will own a team in the new league and will play out of Tim Hortons Field.

"He's a very passionate guy about the Canadian concept and the opportunities for Canadian professional soccer."

Beirne reiterated what people associated with the proposed league have said since the earliest seeds were planted three or four years ago: it's about Canada and giving the upper tier of men's players a career target at home, instead of trying to hopscotch their way through the hit-and-miss process of playing pro soccer in other countries. He says that most Canadians who've been able to do that, have done it through their own initiatives.

Major League Soccer, the continent's top pro league which has teams in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal, does not provide many playing opportunities for Canadians. And it is, officially, a U.S. league.

"Canada has always been a big supporter of soccer," said Beirne. "And while professional leagues have come and gone in the past, they haven't failed because of fan support.

"The core principle of the league is developing Canadian talent at the top level. Right now we have a big pyramid of players in Canada and it doesn't have a top to it."

While TFC, the Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps are all in the MLS -- a cross-border pollination sanctioned by the Canadian Soccer Association -- TFC and the Whitecaps also have second teams in the United Soccer League, and FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury are part of the North American Soccer League, with the Fury set to move over to the USL for next season. There are also other Canadian sides at lower levels of the USL.

"It's a complicated structure and it is all based in the U.S.," Beirne says, "and this is not that. It's Canadian."

Beirne says when it comes to potential ownership groups "there's not a lot to talk about", although the Tiger-Cats are in and have a played a significant role in getting the concept off the ground. It's expected that ownership in some other Canadian cities will have either full or partial connection to CFL teams.

It's anticipated that there will be teams in Hamilton, Regina, Calgary and Winnipeg and perhaps Victoria and that the Fury and Edmonton FC will move over to the CPL as well.

There has been speculation that at least one British Premier League team is interested in owning a team in the nascent Canadian league.

While MLS teams have come around to expressing some interest in the CPL one recent report out of Toronto suggested that the league would not allow those teams to field clubs in their own city, where they would not be viewed as the top team in town. Beirne would not comment on that.

The new league will have some form of quota system to ensure that Canadian players have significant opportunities, although the roster ratios and how long an implementation period will be required is not yet known.

Beirne did confirm that potential CPL club owners would have to be deep-pocketed and that there would be a salary cap.

"That, combined with making sure expenses are under control," Beirne said. "Sport is a funny business, you want to maintain a viable business but you also want to win. Owners need to be protected from themselves.

"Expenses will be controlled not just for players but for everything."

The CSA -- which is riding a tailwind with the women's team winning another Olympic medal, and Vancouver's Victor Montagliani the upset winner of the CONCACAF (The North and Central American and Caribbean soccer federation) presidency – will be involved in the league both structurally and financially although Beirne said, "I'm not able to talk about that right now."

There will be a lot more to talk about in the next few weeks as the league moves toward a spring 2018 kickoff, but bringing Beirne on board is the most significant public indication to date that Canadian will have its own premier league within 18 months.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 5:34 AM

Vanier Cup 2016

Laval 31 Calgary 26 - Great game, not that anyone cares.

By all accounts, the turnout to the Vanier Cup was appalling. Any Hamiltonians/ Southern Ontarians want to weigh in on this? Was there much in the way of marketing? Why was it not held in the more appropriately sized Ron Joyce Stadium?

I still like the idea it being held in the same city as the Grey Cup - make it a package deal. Other than that, you really have to wonder...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
make it a package deal. Other than that, you really have to wonder...
Kinda hard to do that when you have separate rights holders.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 1:03 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Laval 31 Calgary 26 - Great game, not that anyone cares.

By all accounts, the turnout to the Vanier Cup was appalling. Any Hamiltonians/ Southern Ontarians want to weigh in on this? Was there much in the way of marketing? Why was it not held in the more appropriately sized Ron Joyce Stadium?

I still like the idea it being held in the same city as the Grey Cup - make it a package deal. Other than that, you really have to wonder...
I wanted to watch the Vanier Cup but TSN only had NCAA Football. They wouldn't even mention who won on Sports Centre. I had to go online to find out who won. It's ridiculous. I'm still living in Canada, right?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 2:20 PM

^It wasn't televised? (NB I'm not in Canada presently).

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I wanted to watch the Vanier Cup but TSN only had NCAA Football. They wouldn't even mention who won on Sports Centre. I had to go online to find out who won. It's ridiculous. I'm still living in Canada, right?
Sportsnet has the rights. You could have watched it had you gone to the trouble of signing up for it, but I don't give Rogers the time of day.

I can't recall if Sportsnet has the rights to all/most USport events. If they do you can forget about any USport growth until that contract expires.

Kinda telling that you couldn't seem to fathom a Canadian event on Sportsnet. That's a knock at Rogers not you.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 2:37 PM

We need a true Canadian sports network in the worst way.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 2:45 PM

As I recall, CHCH in Hamilton used to do a pretty decent job of that. I guess those days are gone...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 3:48 PM

I only watched about 20 minutes of the Vanier Cup, and I'd say that Sportsnet looked like it did a good job of producing the game. To be honest I forgot the game was Saturday afternoon and I just caught it while channel surfing.

The issue with SN is that it's hard to market a totally standalone game with literally no buildup, regular season coverage, etc. Even a single national "game of the week" would at least provide some sustained coverage, but for whatever reason SN can't be bothered to do it. The ratings must be pretty low though, as really no other national network has demonstrated much of an interest in U Sports coverage either.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
as really no other national network has demonstrated much of an interest in U Sports coverage either.
It would be so easy to do. Schedule preseason games against American colleges. I've read that our university volleyball programs are very good against American competition, so are our best basketball programs. You could also sucker people by having our better programs playing big name American schools that don't have a good basketball program for example. Not every big name American school is good at all big time sports.

I think it was one of our volleyball coaches who said they play big programs down there and mostly beat 'em.

I also think there is a niche for CBC to get back into the sports business in a big way and take small and USport events and grow an audience using some crafty techniques like above.

Last edited by elly63; Nov 27, 2016 at 4:31 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 4:27 PM

^ CBC is probably the best hope now that they're effectively getting out of the pro sports business. Their French arm does a good job with RSEQ football games.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 4:30 PM
ハルウララ

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/...of-vanier-cup/

Spec reports 10,000 sold and 5,000 in attendance. Easily the lowest attendance since the 8,184 at SkyDome in 1997.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
We need a true Canadian sports network in the worst way.
Country's too large geographically with too few people spread out for a Canada-only sports network to really operate feasibly. Regional channels can work at times - I know Quebec does well for theirs.

In an ideal world, CBC would take the reins of University and amateur sport in Canada. TheScore used to do a great job with CIS until Rogers obliterated them into orbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The issue with SN is that it's hard to market a totally standalone game with literally no buildup, regular season coverage, etc. Even a single national "game of the week" would at least provide some sustained coverage, but for whatever reason SN can't be bothered to do it.
Sportsnet currently does this with junior hockey (Friday night games) in the leadup to the Memorial Cup. I wish they would do it more because I think it's a pretty big untapped market - Hockey, small towns across the country, with legitimate future professional stars and great stories.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 4:34 PM

^ It's too bad that the VC couldn't be held at the stadium of one of the competing teams. I can tell you a VC would be a tough sell in Winnipeg... I doubt you'd get more than 10,000 fans out unless the Bisons or maybe one of the Sask teams made it. By contrast, if the Bisons were playing, they'd get north of 20,000 fans.

I guess the challenge there is when you have only one game to decide a winner, how do you decide which of the competing teams gets to host?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Country's too large geographically with too few people spread out for a Canada-only sports network to really operate feasibly.
No proof of that whatsoever. We're not looking at paying big league rights fees.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 5:05 PM

Quote:
It would be so easy to do. Schedule preseason games against American colleges. I've read that our university volleyball programs are very good against American competition, so are our best basketball programs. You could also sucker people by having our better programs playing big name American schools that don't have a good basketball program for example. Not every big name American school is good at all big time sports.

I think it was one of our volleyball coaches who said they play big programs down there and mostly beat 'em.

I also think there is a niche for CBC to get back into the sports business in a big way and take small and USport events and grow an audience using some crafty techniques like above.
Kind of sad that the only thing that will get people's interest (and the media's interest) is competing with American teams. Or competing against other Canadian teams in American leagues, even if those American leagues are second-rate (see MLS).

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister F View Post
Kind of sad that the only thing that will get people's interest (and the media's interest) is competing with American teams. Or competing against other Canadian teams in American leagues, even if those American leagues are second-rate (see MLS).
Funny you say that because in the wannabe GTA (and that is where this attitude is most prevalent) think of MLS. Who are TFC's biggest rivals? NY, LA, Chicago? Nope!

What about the NHL, who are the Leafs biggest rivals, Rangers, Blackhawks? Don't think so.

You always hear it said Toronto doesn't want to see the likes of Canadian cities, too small time and bush league. Maybe it's the American cities that don't want to see the likes of Toronto.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 5:22 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
No proof of that whatsoever. We're not looking at paying big league rights fees.
If you want to give a run down of the costs affiliated with running a nation-wide sports channel with minimal viewership depending on the rights for sports you have and the current competition in the market i'm all ears. I can tell you right now you'd be absolutely bleeding money. TheScore should be a good lesson for anyone wanting a Canadian sports network for Canadian sports.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2016, 6:30 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Sportsnet has the rights. You could have watched it had you gone to the trouble of signing up for it, but I don't give Rogers the time of day.
I will never give a penny to Rogers. I was hoping CHCH (Hamilton) would televise it but they didn't. Next year I will just take GO Train to Hamilton and watch in person. Screw Rogers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada