HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Rainier Square Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Seattle Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Seattle Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 7:53 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Smile NEW YORK | 280 Cadman Plaza West (One Clinton) | 409 FT | 36 FLOORS

Possible Library-Replacing Towers Revealed For BK Heights
Friday, December 13, 2013, by Jessica Dailey

Quote:
Since it's struggling to pay the bills, the Brooklyn Public Library unveiled a money-making plan to close older branches and sell off the buildings or redevelop the sites with more profitable enterprises—and now we know what one of those redeveloped sites could look like. In February, the library announced that one of the first branches to fall subject to redevelopment would be the Brooklyn Heights Library at 280 Cadman Plaza West. The 1962 building is in need of $9 million in repairs, and so the library is seeking a developer to raze the structure and erect a new one in its place. Several news outlets report that the library has narrowed its search down to seven possible developers, and the Daily News and Brownstoner published a few renderings of the 20- to 40-story residential tower that could replace the two-story library.

The Economic Development Corporation did not reveal the developers or architects with the renderings (though the Journal says Forest City Ratner is not one of them), but the plans range from completely residential to mixed-use, with heights varying from 285-feet to 585-feet. A new 20,000-square-foot library would be included in the base, no matter which plan is chosen. Two developers sweetened the pot with bigger libraries (30,000-square-feet), five included affordable housing, and another two made the library roof a public green space. Most have retail space, and the number of apartments range from 99 to 167. Renderings show a lot of glass and several feature libraries with big atriums. The winning proposal will be selected early next year.
Possibilities:
All photos/renders found in the article

Proposal A:

Proposal B:

Proposal C:

Proposal D:

Proposal E:

Proposal F:

Proposal G:

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Last edited by Urbannizer; Sep 11, 2018 at 5:59 PM. Reason: edits

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 8:11 PM

Im in favor of B,C,D and F

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 10:57 PM

B or F. Then again, no height figure for B is mentioned; and it looks to me that the render artists are playing somewhat fast and loose with the perspective so as to make it taller than it might actually be.
F it is, then.
PS: Am I or am I not right in calling F a flatiron design (coincidence!)...? Looks three-sided to me.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 11:06 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

E is nice. Also B looks like a design from a triple simolean high rise in Sim City 4.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 11:16 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
Am I or am I not right in calling F a flatiron design (coincidence!)...? Looks three-sided to me.
haha I was thinking the same thing. That render looks like it should be the Flatiron of Brooklyn! I wasn't sure if it was completely triangular, so I kept it to myself It's my favorite proposal of the bunch. A 500+ ft tower would be nice here.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2013, 11:49 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Some Google Maps snapshots...

It's actually a pretty nice site being so close to DoBro!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 4:32 AM
BANNED

I hope E or F gets built. It will look good being so close to downtown.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 10:29 AM
New Yorker for life

I would say that F looks the best overall, kind of a "Flatiron" vibe to it. The library portion could use work. The height would fit in with the current wave of 500 footers going up in Brooklyn.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 9:52 PM
New Yorker for life

http://noticingnewyork.blogspot.com/

Proposal B

Proposal C

Proposal D

Proposal F

What a taller version could look like

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 4:58 AM

this is my local public library, and right outside my window. Hoping for something good!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 11:33 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

BREAKING: Hudson Companies / Marvel Architects Announced as Brooklyn Heights Library Developer:

Quote:
The Hudson Companies and Marvel Architects (designers of the Pierhouse and 1 Hotel at Brooklyn Bridge Park) have been identified as the development team of choice for a new residential tower on the library site that will include a new branch for BPL. The developer’s proposed bid of approximately $60 million would not only allow BPL to invest $10 million in outfitting a 21,000 square foot library but will allow for $40 million in capital funding for other needy branches in BPL’s system as well as an 8,000 square foot temporary library to be located at Our Lady of Lebanon Church (113 Remsen Street).

A final vote on the proposal is scheduled for BPL’s board meeting to be held at 5:30 tonight at the Library’s Grand Army Plaza location.

The project, following expected approval by the full BPL board, will then go through thorough public review, including ULURP (Universal Land Use Review Process)—the City’s process for reviewing the sale of public land, which the Brooklyn Heights Library branch sits on—as well as a number of key political decision-makers, including Council Member Steve Levin, Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams, Mayor Bill de Blasio and the New York City Council.
=============================
September 16, 2014
http://brooklynheightsblog.com/archi...comment-547612

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 1:27 PM

Looks like they chose one of the better proposals. Good for them.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 2:01 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico44 View Post
Looks like they chose one of the better proposals. Good for them.
I hope the final design adds a few floors. Those terraced setbacks would look even better if they were taller.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 2:17 PM

Definitely liking the flatiron design. Glad they went with it.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 5:12 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

New York City's cash strapped libraries sell development rights

Quote:
One of Brooklyn’s many struggling public libraries is slated to be demolished to make way for the borough’s latest luxury high-rise. But the stacks will not disappear from Brooklyn Heights entirely; tucked into the ground floor of the Marvel Architects–designed tower that will rise in their place is a brand new 21,000-sqaure-foot public library. In mid-September, the library’s board of trustees unanimously voted in favor of the development, which would raise significant funds for its financially strained system.

The tower’s design, though, is hard to decipher as the Brooklyn Public Library and Marvel Architects released two renderings that show two significantly different approaches. In one rendering, which is focused on the street level, the new library and the tower above appear to have a glass and stone facade.

[...]

While the design is not finalized, the project is reportedly expected to break ground in 2016.
===================================
http://archpaper.com/news/articles.a...5#.VFpZ_fnF-bN

Floors: NEW YORK | 280 Cadman Plaza West | FT | 30 FLOORS

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 6:12 PM
Show me the blueprints

Great to see it's grown in height. It's gone from about 20 up to 30. Much more appropriate for this site.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 6:14 PM

Marvel Architects

36-Story Tower May Replace the Brooklyn Heights Library

Tuesday, June 16, 2015
Jessica Dailey

Quote:
The tower that will replace the aging Brooklyn Heights Library will be quite a bit taller than expected if developer Hudson Companies has its way. The Daily News shared the first renderings of the planned building, which starts making its way through the Uniform Land Use Review Process this week, and outlined the details of what the developer wants to do.

The wedge-shaped tower—the News likens it to the Flatiron Building—will be designed by Marvel Architects and rise 36 stories. It will hold 139 condos atop a retail base and a new 21,500-square-foot library on the ground floor. Previously reveal plans showed a 20-story, 130-unit building. Hudson's CEO says the new building will "be the best condominiums in Brooklyn," but before anything happens, they'll have to pass muster with the locals. At least one advocacy group is already gunning for a fight.

More info and renderings

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 6:56 PM
Show me the blueprints

Well that got a lot less interesting.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 8:38 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Brooklyn bookworms critical of Hudson Cos. condo project

Quote:
Brooklyn’s Community Board 2 postponed a vote this week on the Hudson Cos.’ acquisition of the Brooklyn Heights Library – the site of a proposed mixed-use condo development that will house a new public library at its base – after hours of public testimony over the contentious plan.

The community board debated plans for the site, at 280 Cadman Plaza West, on Wednesday night before a divided crowd that lined the perimeter of the room and extended out the door, Curbed reported. While voting to 6-4 at the end of the evening to approve the application, the board pushed a formal tally to Monday despite time restrictions imposed by the city’s land use review process.

The Brooklyn Public Library wants to sell the Brooklyn Heights branch to upgrade the space as part of Hudson’s proposed 36-story condo development, but opponents are concerned the library will be shrunk by a third of its current size and worry the deal sets a precedent for funding public spaces with luxury buildings, according to the website.

Hudson won a $52 million bid to build on the property last year that included commitments to a new library at the development and 114 affordable units built at separate sites in Clinton Hill. If the deal goes through, the condo tower will somewhat resemble Manhattan’s iconic, wedge-shaped Flatiron Building.
==============================
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/06/....KUMlxtEo.dpuf

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 6:26 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Community Board 2 to Hold “Momentous” Vote on Heights Library Development Plan

Quote:
At its meeting tonight, Brooklyn Community Board 2 will vote on the controversial plan to sell the Brooklyn Heights Library site to a private developer, Hudson Companies, which aims to build a 36-story condominium tower that will include a new library on the ground floor.

As we’ve covered extensively, there are strong partisans on both sides of this one: Those who call it a prime opportunity to upgrade the ailing facility at 280 Cadman Plaza West and generate much-needed cash for the borough’s libraries and those who call it an unconscionable handoff of public land to a private developer.

Whichever way the board goes, “CB2’s vote will be momentous,” judges the group Citizens Defending Libraries, which strongly opposes the $52,000,000 sale, believing it would “set the table for future developers to feast on public assets.”

The issue comes to the full board after the Land Use Committee voted in favor last month. Whatever the board does, its vote will be non-binding; the matter will next be subject to the scrutiny of the Brooklyn Borough President’s office, which has scheduled a public hearing at Borough Hall on August 18.

Tonight’s meeting is at 6 p.m. at St. Francis College, in the Founders Hall, at 180 Remsen Street.
==============================
http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2015...-library-plan/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive