HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 3:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
MLCC unionized staff support strike action
CJOB News Team reporting
9/1/2009

Unionized staff at Manitoba Liquor Marts have voted 84 per cent in favour of strike action.

Representatives of the Manitoba Government and General Employees Union claim 30 days of negotiations with the Manitoba Liquor Control Commission have stalled.
They said the MLCC has refused to discuss proposals involving part-time scheduling, full-time employment regulations and hours of work.
Union bargaining committee members are also balking at accepting concessions.

Bargaining between the two sides is scheduled to start again Tuesday.
MLCC spokeswoman Diana Soroka is still hopeful the two sides will come to a mutually satisfying agreement. She would not speculate on whether retail stores would remain open in the event of a strike.
Are the MLCC employee's nuts! They are already making at least more than double plus benefits of what anyone else in retail makes. Privatize the sale of liquor in Manitoba!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2009, 6:54 PM
Armchair urbanist

I'm curious, how good do they have it? Maybe I'll quit my job and go work for them at this rate

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Are the MLCC employee's nuts! They are already making at least more than double plus benefits of what anyone else in retail makes. Privatize the sale of liquor in Manitoba!
Why, so prices will go up like they did in Alberta?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 3:25 AM
Heart of the Continent

The Alberta Government still controls distribution anyway (they sill own the alcohol) so not much has really changed there anyway.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 3:52 AM
The Loyal Opposition

Winnipeg's been making a lot of national headlines lately... for all the wrong reasons. It has been an unfortunately typical summer of shame, mayhem and degradation on the mad streets of Winnipeg. There is nothing fancy that can be built, or creative spin broadcast which will improve the reputation of this city in the eyes of those who do not live here... and more importantly, the security of those who do live here.

It is times like these that I worry that Winnipeg may be in a unwinnable situation... hopefully not... but, if this is the top concern for all those who care about this city's future, we might just have a very small chance.

... and, of course, try to not get stabbed.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 4:00 AM
Armchair urbanist

mel-an-chol-y [mel-uh n-kol-ee]
-noun
- a gloomy state of mind, esp. when habitual or prolonged; depression.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 4:13 AM

What did Stuart MacLean say? Winnipeg 'endures.'

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 4:24 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
What did Stuart MacLean say? Winnipeg 'endures.'
Only this afternoon did I meet a shady character up on Main Street brandishing what appeared to be a loaded hot dog. Fortunately 1ajs was able to employ his legendary street smarts to defuse the situation.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 3:20 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Yup, all is well on Main Street!

Woman stabbed on Winnipeg street

Last Updated: Wednesday, September 2, 2009 | 9:11 AM CT
CBC News

A woman is in stable condition in hospital after being stabbed in the upper body Tuesday night in Winnipeg.

According to police, the stabbing happened around 11 p.m. on Main Street between the Northern Hotel and the Yale Hotel.

Police are looking for two female suspects.

No additional information has been released.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...-winnipeg.html

Maybe she mistook that knife for a hotdog...

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 4:13 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

well that explains why that ambulancewas in sucharush last night

(i was up on a roof at selkirk and main patching holes) to hot during the day to do that

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Only this afternoon did I meet a shady character up on Main Street brandishing what appeared to be a loaded hot dog. Fortunately 1ajs was able to employ his legendary street smarts to defuse the situation.
I almost went postal on the kid!! Never get between a man and his hot dog.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 8:02 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

hahahahaaha

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
Winnipeg's been making a lot of national headlines lately... for all the wrong reasons. It has been an unfortunately typical summer of shame, mayhem and degradation on the mad streets of Winnipeg. There is nothing fancy that can be built, or creative spin broadcast which will improve the reputation of this city in the eyes of those who do not live here... and more importantly, the security of those who do live here.

It is times like these that I worry that Winnipeg may be in a unwinnable situation... hopefully not... but, if this is the top concern for all those who care about this city's future, we might just have a very small chance.

Please move and do all a favour ! instead of complaining all the time..

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 4:01 AM
The Loyal Opposition

Maybe I will move...

... is there any available room in the sandbox where you are burying your head? LOL

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 4:21 AM
WPG - OTT - MTL

Nobody expects you to be a martyr and you should not need to live in a place that you have no positive feelings towards. There are more affordable places to live, there are more picturesque places all around us, and there are excellent job opportunities elsewhere. Why stick it out in misery in Winnipeg when you do not have to and clearly do not want to?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 5:10 AM
The Loyal Opposition

One only needs to have watched this evening's CTV National News and its leading story, to see the actual and justified image portrayed of Winnipeg.

In short, for those who are wrapped-up in the obsession with impressing those who do not live here, our mean streets should be the primary issue of concern. You could fill this city with "cultural institutions," but that won't change anything...

... it is the Winnipeggers who conveniently ignore and downplay our rampant crime and social problems that are doing our city the greatest disservice, IMHO.

I wonder, is it delusion, or an inferiority complex?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 5:19 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

if the police had a helicopter it would help and would also help if the laws wernt so slack on teaching youth that theres consenquences for your actions

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 5:27 AM

Quote:

One only needs to have watched this evening's CTV National News and its leading story, to see the actual and justified image portrayed of Winnipeg.

In short, for those who are wrapped-up in the obsession with impressing those who do not live here, our mean streets should be the primary issue of concern. You could fill this city with "cultural institutions," but that won't change anything...

... it is the Winnipeggers who conveniently ignore and downplay our rampant crime and social problems that are doing our city the greatest disservice, IMHO.

I wonder, is it delusion, or an inferiority complex?
No question there are huge social problems in the city.

That said, I don't think we should allow that to consume us. Trouble is there are the few that constantly harp on such things. This city has just as many or more wonderful things going for it too.

So maybe modify your question to read: "I wonder, is it obsession, delusion, or an inferiority complex?"

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 5:29 AM
I am a typical

Quote:

Ya, and bitching about it doesn't change a thing. Believe me. My city is in the same boat.

Complaining about -- but offering no solution to alleviate -- social issues is just as bad as ignoring and downplaying their existence. Your alarmist rants are not helping.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2009, 5:38 AM
The Loyal Opposition

It's unfortunate, but the most important thing that can be done at this time... is waking people up to it... more Winnipeggers need to face reality.

Also, in the past I was told I'm an 'alarmist' when I did write about ideas to improve the situation. Now I'm going back to the basics... hoping to wake some people up!

So, now you guys got my message... I'm done, for now.

Last edited by DowntownWpg; Sep 3, 2009 at 5:49 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan