HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

View Poll Results: What's your involment in Calgary's core?
Live, work and eat in the core 14 24.14%
Work in the core but live outside of it 14 24.14%
Live in the core, but owrk outside of it 5 8.62%
Don't work or live in the core but visit routinely 21 36.21%
Never go downtown 4 6.90%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
That's just the parents protecting their kids from you and your dogs Ramsayfarian
Actually my dogs over the years have chased several coyotes out of the school grounds. They've also chased more than a few hares as well. Which usually gets the kids pretty upset as they think the puppy is goingto kill the bunny.

@finkprof- I just graze them. Plus I find the severed Santa head on my hood does more harm.

@freeweed - I haven't even begun to start.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 3:30 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Appreciate and agree with your other comments, btw.

The format/price issue isn't quite so simple, sure - but when everyone wants to shop at "the cheapest" store, it inevitably results in fewer stores. Which makes it damned near impossible to have enough to cover an area within decent walking distance. I can't see Superstore putting 6 s,all locations in a neighbourhood like Royal Oak, when 1 big one makes them far more money alone.

A HUGE problem is that we still zone based on clumping all commercial together in one spot, granted - but I've watched time and again as smaller shops close up, because they just can't compete on price with the larger big boxes. Even when zoning allows otherwise, it's still more cost-effective to have everything in one big warehouse.

And no, I don't have a magic answer, but I do my best to try to support the little guy (little being relative these days) when I can.
I do all my main grocery shopping at my local store - Family Foods. It's like a small Safeway (same wholesaler) with better meat and extra goodies. That's 70% of my groceries. 15% is T&T, which is big box Asian grocery, but the selection can't be beat. 10%, Co-op, mostly booze . The rest is split into opportunity/unique items a store might have. Stupidstore still gets a visit once in a while for their dried vegetable mix ion the bulk section. Stupidstore *used* to get 70% of my shopping, with the rest going mostly to Slaveway. But I was poor in those days - I'd put up with the quality and "out of stock" issues of Stupidstore. Now, it ain't worth the frustration, time, and gas to save %10 over what I spend now.

On a general merchandiser level, I have re-discovered The Bay downtown. I used to shop Woolco, Zellers, and (shudder) K-Mart, with only occasional forays into higher end stores. Again, I was poor, and the cloths I was buying were mostly slob-ware anyways. I've been hitting Sears more these days - but it has been downhill lately too, and Walmart just don't cut it for anything outside of basic cloths.

OTOH, the Bay downtown is perfect for me: Today I bought 2 pairs of pants, a set of p-jays, pack-o-socks, a nice shirt, and some gloves. I was out of the store in half an hour. Impossible to do in any of the above stores, or any mall for that matter, especially for the quality of product purchased - nice middle of the road stuff - good for day to day office wear. Lots of selection to pick from, at prices ranging from OMG, expensive (to me) to OMG, that's actually cheap (for what you get). Oh, and while I didn't need help this time, previous visits have yielded friendly staff that is is *gasp* willing to help the customer. This store is really a remaining example of what big retail used to be, and I didn't realize how much I missed it until I was working downtown and started going there after work to buy a few things. If you're in the core, it's worth visiting - this is not your 'burb Bay, picture something with 3X the selection and better service and you'll be thinking along the right lines. Oh, but you'll likely spend %10 more overall for the privilege of civilized shopping.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 6:35 AM

Loblaws bought out T&T last year.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 11:18 AM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
The format/price issue isn't quite so simple, sure - but when everyone wants to shop at "the cheapest" store, it inevitably results in fewer stores. Which makes it damned near impossible to have enough to cover an area within decent walking distance. I can't see Superstore putting 6 s,all locations in a neighbourhood like Royal Oak, when 1 big one makes them far more money alone.

A HUGE problem is that we still zone based on clumping all commercial together in one spot, granted - but I've watched time and again as smaller shops close up, because they just can't compete on price with the larger big boxes. Even when zoning allows otherwise, it's still more cost-effective to have everything in one big warehouse.
Yup, that is correct. There are definitely more contributing factors, the blame if you want to call it that can be spread, and I was just focusing on the service provision side. Euclidean zoning is one of the other contributing factors but another one would be density; my neighbourhood is a lot denser than Royal Oak for instance and it can easily support the two Icelands that are in walking distance from my house. I guess this goes to show people, once again, that it is both density and design that are needed.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 9:14 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post
I do all my main grocery shopping at my local store - Family Foods. It's like a small Safeway (same wholesaler) with better meat and extra goodies. That's 70% of my groceries. 15% is T&T, which is big box Asian grocery, but the selection can't be beat. 10%, Co-op, mostly booze . The rest is split into opportunity/unique items a store might have. Stupidstore still gets a visit once in a while for their dried vegetable mix ion the bulk section. Stupidstore *used* to get 70% of my shopping, with the rest going mostly to Slaveway. But I was poor in those days - I'd put up with the quality and "out of stock" issues of Stupidstore. Now, it ain't worth the frustration, time, and gas to save %10 over what I spend now.

On a general merchandiser level, I have re-discovered The Bay downtown. I used to shop Woolco, Zellers, and (shudder) K-Mart, with only occasional forays into higher end stores. Again, I was poor, and the cloths I was buying were mostly slob-ware anyways. I've been hitting Sears more these days - but it has been downhill lately too, and Walmart just don't cut it for anything outside of basic cloths.

OTOH, the Bay downtown is perfect for me: Today I bought 2 pairs of pants, a set of p-jays, pack-o-socks, a nice shirt, and some gloves. I was out of the store in half an hour. Impossible to do in any of the above stores, or any mall for that matter, especially for the quality of product purchased - nice middle of the road stuff - good for day to day office wear. Lots of selection to pick from, at prices ranging from OMG, expensive (to me) to OMG, that's actually cheap (for what you get). Oh, and while I didn't need help this time, previous visits have yielded friendly staff that is is *gasp* willing to help the customer. This store is really a remaining example of what big retail used to be, and I didn't realize how much I missed it until I was working downtown and started going there after work to buy a few things. If you're in the core, it's worth visiting - this is not your 'burb Bay, picture something with 3X the selection and better service and you'll be thinking along the right lines. Oh, but you'll likely spend %10 more overall for the privilege of civilized shopping.
Does everyone know that the bay is 6 or 7 stories of merchandise as well? I (embarrasingly) thought it was only the basement house stuff, the main level cosmetics, 2nd floor mens and third floor womens.....Turns out there are another 2 floors above that and an office space on top. Urban exploration does pay off!! I feel like such an idiot!

Cheers

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 4:10 AM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonb View Post
Loblaws bought out T&T last year.
So far, no huge changes. (keeping my fingers crossed)

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 8:36 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I used to work in the Beltline, but now I work in Inglewood which isn't exactly the core. Even so, I'd say 95% of my 'going out on the town' is in the Beltline, places like Ming, Vicious Circle, Bottlescrew Bills, Republik, Hop in Brew, Drum and Monkey/Bamboo, as well as other assorted joints.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 6:16 PM

I work downtown, although I live way out in the 'burbs.

Once a month, my wife drops my son (age 5) off at my office on a Friday afternoon. He and I have lunch and then explore the downtown focusing on things he would like to do and see.

January he chose to go up the tower, and next month he wants to take the c-train to explore the UofC campus (see the big library).

In the summer the whole family is down to the core at least monthly for shopping and a picnic on Prince's island.

~gorebug

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 7:50 PM
Here and There

Thanks for all of these great posts everone. Now I know that we are not the only ones touring around just for the sake of exploring the city..... and here I thought that all of the people I saw walking around were shopping or running errands.

Great to see.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 7:52 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

In June I have a salesperson from one of our German vendors coming to Calgary with her fiance. They haven't been to Canada before, I am looking forward to playing tour guide in Calgary for them. Always fun getting to see the city through tourist eyes!

Of course my tour will be CBD/Beltline/Inner-city heavy!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation