HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 1:35 AM
NOLA Razorback

Convention Center

Well this helps answer some questions we've all had...

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...4c2cc5c1b.html

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
Well this helps answer some questions we've all had...

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...4c2cc5c1b.html
Definitely frustrating. It would be very nice if this actually comes to reality.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 1:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAtoTX View Post
Definitely frustrating. It would be very nice if this actually comes to reality.
Maybe some outside pressure is needed to get things moving one way or another; hence the interview with the advocate the convention center has given. If there are other interested parties they should use them as leverage. But he mentioned some things they have to meet in the middle on and I imagine its something to do with revenue sharing or guaranteed payments. Its still nice to see some of the other projects moving forward that I think are crucial for them to have gotten done. The culinary institute will have an immediate effect on the industry and the safety infrastructure is crucial. ALso, wonder how long the construction will take on convention center blvd.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 3:38 PM

Seems to raise more questions than it answers. I've always maintained that if the CC doesn't move more quickly on this project, the state and city are going to start demanding money. And this is already happening with the Artworks Building and the city's safety programs. I would be surprised if there aren't movements soon to cut the CC's allocation of sales and hotel taxes with the state and city budget problems.

Perhaps one master developer is not the right path. If the CC can build out a street grid it could issue separate RFPs for the hotel, apartments, and retail for each plot of land.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 5:58 PM

Two years of absolute nothing and if anything even more unanswered questions. Pathetic.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 8:42 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm991 View Post
Two years of absolute nothing and if anything even more unanswered questions. Pathetic.
I mean at some point you have to move on. feels like they werent putting as much effort into this as they should or the two sides are so far apart that its not likely to find a common ground. Either way you have to have some sort of red line and then you move on.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 8:44 PM

I loved that they claim to be distracted by other projects, yeah that tiny building for the culinary institute. Amateur hour.

Quote:
"The other projects have definitely eaten up a lot of our time, from a priority standpoint, to try to get those deals done, which we have accomplished now," Rodrigue said, adding that negotiations on the riverfront project are "now our top priority."
You'll be lucky if theres a park bench on that concrete wasteland in 10 years.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 8:57 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwm991 View Post
I loved that they claim to be distracted by other projects, yeah that tiny building for the culinary institute. Amateur hour.

You'll be lucky if theres a park bench on that concrete wasteland in 10 years.
It does seem like a poor excuse. I know people hate to call off negotiations especially after all that time but sometimes you just move on! Definitely feels like we dont have our best negotiators on this either.

I spent a year and a half on a project only to have to cancel it after time and wasted money. Feeling sucks but it was still best decision!

Lets hope your very wrong about the 10 years too.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 11:46 PM

I also hope I am wrong. I have seen the potential for this project but always felt that in the back of my mind it would get wasted amongst bureaucracy.

I read a bit into the guys who were interested in this project, particularly the Howard Hughes group, they are big players, not blaggers by any stretch of the imagination.

Maybe in 6 months time we'll have a press release about a consultation, to then "go back to the drawing board" etc. Projects like this and the WTC, major projects that have dragged along, have really annoyed me.

Then you have projects like the South Market District which has been very smooth since day 1, they could learn a lot from that.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 12:16 AM

Angry

This type of crap just reinforces my love - hate relationship with this city and its government!! So much to offer and so much potential, yet we constantly have people in office who don't understand economic growth and development! Years of great proposals and we are left we beautiful renderings!! I've seen so many soulless cities pass us up i.e Atlanta, Dallas Houston etc!!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Can anyone tell me what this church at 2400 Napoleon will be? I've searched the thread but can't find anything. There does seem to be some new construction in the back right of the photo.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 3:00 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Can anyone tell me what this church at 2400 Napoleon will be? I've searched the thread but can't find anything. There does seem to be some new construction in the back right of the photo.
Some sort of Opera House type thing... think along the lines of Marigny Opera House

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Some sort of Opera House type thing... think along the lines of Marigny Opera House
Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 1:33 AM
NOLA Razorback

Former 6 Flags Redevelopment

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...8c3d54eaa.html

Looks like two developers that submitted bids to purchase the property are likely to join together and attempt to buy/redevelop the site together. Personally I think this is a great idea, especially considering one of the purchasers is the owner of Space Walk (the bouncy houses) and said he'd like to move manufacturing back here from China (business HQ is in Kenner).

I think it'd be great to revitalize the site/NO East with not only an entertainment attraction but producing something as well for a fairly large company! NOLA needs more stuff like that to continue diversifying our economy!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 4:06 AM
-

Quote:
http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orlea...8c3d54eaa.html

Looks like two developers that submitted bids to purchase the property are likely to join together and attempt to buy/redevelop the site together. Personally I think this is a great idea, especially considering one of the purchasers is the owner of Space Walk (the bouncy houses) and said he'd like to move manufacturing back here from China (business HQ is in Kenner).

I think it'd be great to revitalize the site/NO East with not only an entertainment attraction but producing something as well for a fairly large company! NOLA needs more stuff like that to continue diversifying our economy!
Yeah that would be nice to manufacture this sort of thing back in the states. Given the circumstances this proposal seems like the best shot at something happening.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:18 AM
NOLA Razorback

Plaza Tower

Tennis what do you think the purpose of the request to re-subdivide the lots under Plaza Tower is that you noted on your blog?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:30 AM
-

Quote:
Tennis what do you think the purpose of the request to re-subdivide the lots under Plaza Tower is that you noted on your blog?
well its unusual to resubdivide into one large lot for no reason... so Im assuming something is on the cards in the near future..usually the city requires that for any large development these days when there are muliple lots under one building or complex

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:50 AM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
well its unusual to resubdivide into one large lot for no reason... so Im assuming something is on the cards in the near future..usually the city requires that for any large development these days when there are muliple lots under one building or complex
Noted! Thanks! Hopefully we'll see some action there soon, especially with all the SMD activity across the street, I personally think Plaza Tower is the best skyscraper currently in the city.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 3:37 AM
-

Quote:
Noted! Thanks! Hopefully we'll see some action there soon, especially with all the SMD activity across the street, I personally think Plaza Tower is the best skyscraper currently in the city.
From a vantage point and floorplate size I couldnt agree more. Its perfect for a modern hotel and residential living. way too small for office(except the bottom portion where the garage is)

Not that it means anything other than just conjecture but Joe Jaegers project The Jung is scheduled to wrap up late spring early summer. So I would assume hes got time for next project then!

BTW I have lots of updates on things on my tumblr... too lazy to repost lol

Also this project finally has financing to start soon:

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 9, 2017 at 4:36 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 2:47 PM

Alaska Airlines announces MSY-SFO, operated by Virgin America, starting Sept 21.
https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/2017-...m-the-Bay-Area

It's great to finally get Virgin Airlines service and the Bay Area flight should do well with business and leisure traffic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations