HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 5:55 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Even less of a difference when there will be 2 taller towers just next door (1 WTC, 2 WTC).

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMont View Post
As tall as these buildings are going to be, 15 feet seems like a very little difference.
I was curious because the Empire state building in 1,250 ft and I wanted to know which would be taller.
Vista Tower, Chicago 1,1199 ft UC 45 Broad St, New York 1,115 ft UC
9 DeKalb Ave, New York 1,066 ft 53W53, New York 1,050 ft UC

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 4:21 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
The problem with 3 WTC is it has too much detail. The Other towers are plain, but unique in their own way. The braceing on the tower is very cool, but dosnt belong in the complex. Maybe it would be better off without the exterior braceing.
I tend to agree with you: 3 WTC just tries too hard. The other towers seem defined by their basic geometry. 3 WTC relies too much on added on gimmicks like the cross-bracing, and the inexplicable poles on each corner at the top. My approach to improving the design would be, Simplify, simplify...

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
I tend to agree with you: 3 WTC just tries too hard. The other towers seem defined by their basic geometry. 3 WTC relies too much on added on gimmicks like the cross-bracing, and the inexplicable poles on each corner at the top. My approach to improving the design would be, Simplify, simplify...

You may get your wish when they actually try to construct the bldg. Complexity usually correlates to cost, greater complexity equal greater cost.
With material cost projected to increase in the coming months I would look for some cost-cutting to impact the final bldg appearence; hopefully not to greatly because i think it is a wonderful bldg.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 11:06 PM
World Machine

^^^ I wouldn't consider some cross bracing and four small spires major detail that would fall under the criteria to get cut due to cost. This building has some detail, but when you look at the big picture that detail only goes so far.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2008, 1:00 AM
Frigidus Maximus

There are some new looking renderings at http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...=1&pro_id=1915

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 1:44 AM

really nice rener thank coolczech. in some renders it looks like too much detail but if it turns out liek in this one the cluster will look great and 3wtc won't be a foreign matter.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 1:17 PM

Quote:
If every detail was overladen with sich attention-grabbing detail then 3WTC's excesses would seem overdone. However, its structural articulation would seem like a welcome change if the rest of the towers are glass prisms that vary only through their massings and facade treatments. Seeing how 2WTC got simplified recently (the facade became uniform and horizontal sections were removed), seems like this may be the case.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 3:11 AM
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Quote:
There are some new looking renderings at http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...=1&pro_id=1915
It looks incredibly similar to the Times tower from that angle.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 4:00 PM

tower gets it right!

Im not a fan 0f the times building, (because of the spire) but i think this building will be just fine. With smaller spires, this tower looks incredible.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 8:09 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares41 View Post
You may get your wish when they actually try to construct the bldg. Complexity usually correlates to cost, greater complexity equal greater cost.
With material cost projected to increase in the coming months I would look for some cost-cutting to impact the final bldg appearence; hopefully not to greatly because i think it is a wonderful bldg.
Since when is cross-bracing an "added gimmick?" Making the cross-bracing visible is very different from just throwing in some extra steel. Take away that bracing and it's going somewhere else in the tower, which may make it even less feasible economically.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 10:13 PM

What is with this ridiculous trend of adding parapets of extra glass cladding above where the actual roof is? It will look very dated very quickly, imho ...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2008, 11:47 PM

[QUOTE=gttx;3735862]Since when is cross-bracing an "added gimmick?" Making the cross-bracing visible is very different from just throwing in some extra steel. Take away that bracing and it's going somewhere else in the tower, which may make it even less feasible economically.[/QUOTE

I made a general statement regarding complexity versus cost. Of course, functional members are critical and won't be compromised. In none of my comments did I specify or focus on any specific aspect of the bldg.

Last edited by Antares41; Aug 15, 2008 at 1:01 AM. Reason: omitted comma

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
What is with this ridiculous trend of adding parapets of extra glass cladding above where the actual roof is? It will look very dated very quickly, imho ...
It's the current popular way of hiding the unsightly technical stuff on the roof. Before mid-twentieth century, buildings simply did not have so much sophsticated machinery like central cooling that required entire floors of mechanical space, so their rooftops weren't accomodated accordingly. Notice how some of the older buildings, like 500 Fifth Ave and barclay-Vesey, simply have their cooling units plopped at their tops. Later came the practice of building a usually cheap shed around the machinery, which often lacked a rooftop yet the walls closed on all four sides, giving many Modernist buildings that trademark service box on top, which is often mistaken for simply elevator service space. The solution that seems to be in vouge today is extending the facade above the roofline to hide the mechanicals, making the extensions appear more integrated with the rest of the building. Imagine if instead of extending the facades at 3 WTC they just plopped a grey fence around the cooling units.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 2:08 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
It looks incredibly similar to the Times tower from that angle.
Yeah, I noticed that. I always thought the Times tower would have looked better if it wasn't colored gray. Also, 3 WTC won't have the ceramic rods.

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 6:38 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

I know most of you in this thread dislike the complexity of this tower but it's my favorite in the World Trade Centre complex. I like it's design and I think it will end up looking just as good in real life as it does in the renderings. All of the other towers are more simplistic in their design, but they are all very, very unique and WTC3 just adds to it all.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 12:19 PM

hey will there be any knew photos put up

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 3:17 PM
Resident Jackass

no more new photos ever!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 5:51 PM

I really like this tower as well (although its not my fav), but I too have been wondering: Is this tower 1240 or 1255 feet?;will it be taller or shorter than the ESB?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 6:13 PM
Architecture student

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post
I know most of you in this thread dislike the complexity of this tower but it's my favorite in the World Trade Centre complex. I like it's design and I think it will end up looking just as good in real life as it does in the renderings. All of the other towers are more simplistic in their design, but they are all very, very unique and WTC3 just adds to it all.
I like this one the most of the whole complex.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive