HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
There has to be a better way to acknowledge the Algonquins than to call Lebreton station "Pisimi". Call the current O-Train line the Algonquin Line or call the station Lebreton and give it a secondary reference that's important to the Algonquins ("Pisimi"). I wonder if the city made this deal with the Algonquins in response to some sort of threat. About the exterior train designs, it looks bland. Both of these recommendations are embarrassing.
Do like Little Italy; they have official street names with commemorative Italian names such as Preston/Carso Italia and Gladstone/Marconi (is that right?). Have the official name Le Breton or Booth on maps and OC Transpo call system but have Pismi signs below the official signs thru out the station. That is as far as I would go. Like I said, when we go west, they can have Kitchissipi and well, Algonquin.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rike5 View Post
IMO all the names are good with the clear exception of Pimisi and Tunney's Pasture.

Pimisi clearly breaks the guidelines in several ways but most notably is they've managed (wasn't expecting this...) to make it difficult or at least uncomfortable to pronounce in both English AND French.

As for Tunney's Pasture, not easy to pronounce in French and when I think of a pasture, I think of manure (don't ask why) ...
This is only made worse by the fact that this is the end line name and needs to be displayed across the trains and referred to more often than other stations.

On the other hand, I really do like Lyon, Blair, and Bayview as station names.

That's my two cents from an outsiders point of view.
I don't know where your based, but Welcome to SSP!

I agree that Pimsi and Tunney's Pasture are the worst names. Another possibility for Tunney's would have been Holland, as a lot of other people in this Forum have read in Darwin's blog. That would have been much simpler in both official languages, and more urban.

Here is Darwin's take on it if you're interested;

http://www.westsideaction.com/renaming-lrt-stations/

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 2:40 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
looks like Toronto isn't the only city in the province venerable to idiotic station naming.

(See: Black Creek Pioneer Village Station, and Vaughan Metropolitian Centre, compared to what they should have been, Steeles West and Vaughan Centre)
Doesn't Toronto also have an Old Cummer Station?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Ya, I believe that piece of shit is the final design, thanks for the consultation you (Trudeau quote).

White can be pretty bland and the big red maple leaf on the nose is cliché. (Quétaine est un bon choix de mot!)
I've always liked the O-Train's red paint job. Simple yet distinct.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 3:56 AM

Pimisi.

PIMISI.

Um.....

So, to avoid rider confusion, OC Transpo drops all pretenses of giving a shit about geographical naming and just goes full-bore political-correct, and in doing so, tosses Ottawa's 'cradle of civilization' and associated culture into the trash can.

Ottawa was settled starting on Lebreton Flats. There is a Lebreton Flats, a Lebreton Street and a John Lebreton.

There is no Pimisi Street, or neighbourhood, or centre, or building anywhere near. Couldn't they have just done the Algonquin thing at Dominion or some other station. I know this sounds like the rantings of a white guilt-laden colonial settler, but this is so goddam stupid.

If the LRT went through, over or under Victoria Island, I could see it.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:11 AM
National Capital Region

here are the city staff reports on the names/colours
http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/mtgvi...&itemid=302063

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:25 AM
National Capital Region

They also renamed St. Laurent to St-Laurent

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:30 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by rike5 View Post
IMO all the names are good with the clear exception of Pimisi and Tunney's Pasture.

Pimisi clearly breaks the guidelines in several ways but most notably is they've managed (wasn't expecting this...) to make it difficult or at least uncomfortable to pronounce in both English AND French.

As for Tunney's Pasture, not easy to pronounce in French and when I think of a pasture, I think of manure (don't ask why) ...
This is only made worse by the fact that this is the end line name and needs to be displayed across the trains and referred to more often than other stations.

On the other hand, I really do like Lyon, Blair, and Bayview as station names.

That's my two cents from an outsiders point of view.
In the staff report, they put all the new names through the four evaluation criteria* except for Pimisi.. hmm

(*A: Meaningful & easily understood navigational and location information B Understood in French & English C Easy to pronounce and use in written and spoken forms D Distinct from each other and other locations in city to avoid confusion)

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
It's actually under Lyon. I don't know why they keep saying Kent. There is one entrance on Queen at Lyon and the other mid-block integrated in the Podium (or PdV D).

They wanted to call it Kent, but Lyon is more accurate.

Ah yes, that makes sense from the map. Thanks.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 12:10 PM

I like Tunney's Pasture.
It makes the most sense for wayfinding. The pasture of federal buildings is the biggest landmark in the area, and most people know whereabouts in Ottawa that is. On the other hand, not as many people know street names in the area other than perhaps Scott and Wellington.
It also makes me think of fields of tall grass and wildflowers, with a few cows scattered across the landscape.

Don't get why they changed St. Laurent to St-Laurent. "St." is the proper way to shorten "Saint" -- the same word in English and French. What is the dash for? Short for Station-Laurent???

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 12:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggys View Post
Don't get why they changed St. Laurent to St-Laurent. "St." is the proper way to shorten "Saint" -- the same word in English and French. What is the dash for? Short for Station-Laurent???
"St" is short for Saint in both French and English but in French the dash is used instead of the period.

I don't have strong feelings about it either way but this is interesting because the practice in Ottawa is to spell these words with the period.

The signs for St. Laurent Blvd. for which the station is named use the period. As do the signs for St. Joseph Blvd. in Orleans.

I believe the mall gets around the issue by either writing it St Laurent or it puts a sideways triangle between St and Laurent.

On the 417 the signs say St Laurent I believe. Maybe St. Laurent. But certainly not St-Laurent.

BTW the boulevard is named for the former PM whose name is written St-Laurent in French and St. Laurent in English.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 12:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggys View Post
I like Tunney's Pasture.
It makes the most sense for wayfinding. The pasture of federal buildings is the biggest landmark in the area, and most people know whereabouts in Ottawa that is. On the other hand, not as many people know street names in the area other than perhaps Scott and Wellington.
It also makes me think of fields of tall grass and wildflowers, with a few cows scattered across the landscape.
Like you I also like this name better than a street name like Holland. Tunney's Pasture has a much higher recognition around the region than any of the possible street names.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 1:27 PM

I like the front of the car, but wow is the rest ever boring!!! I really hope doesn't end up being the final paint scheme. NEEDS...MORE...RED!!!!!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Doesn't Toronto also have an Old Cummer Station?
yes, but that isn't a final station name. only planned, much like downtown west or downtown east in Ottawa. It is my favourite name though haha, I almost wish they keep it just so I can say that the subway sucks so much that they named a station after what it loves to swallow (hehe). I seriously doubt it will stick though, it will probably end up being named after the street on the other side of Yonge at that point, Drewry.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 1:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
yes, but that isn't a final station name. only planned, much like downtown west or downtown east in Ottawa. It is my favourite name though haha, I almost wish they keep it just so I can say that the subway sucks so much that they named a station after what it loves to swallow (hehe). I seriously doubt it will stick though, it will probably end up being named after the street on the other side of Yonge at that point, Drewry.
I looked it up and it's actually a GO train station:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Cummer_GO_Station

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 2:27 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Ya, I believe that piece of shit is the final design, thanks for the consultation you (Trudeau quote).

I hope your comment is directed towards the paint job, because I actually prefer that cab design over the others we've seen.

This is another example of the City failing to engage with the public. They could have held a design contest where everyone in the city is invited to come up with a design scheme (under certain parameters such as palette) then get people to vote on it, etc. You know, get the public to get behind the plan. But oh no, they've got to do it internally.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Do like Little Italy; they have official street names with commemorative Italian names such as Preston/Carso Italia and Gladstone/Marconi
No, don't do that.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 2:32 PM

Quote:
looks like Toronto isn't the only city in the province venerable to idiotic station naming.

(See: Black Creek Pioneer Village Station, and Vaughan Metropolitian Centre, compared to what they should have been, Steeles West and Vaughan Centre)
Further west, the propensity of BC Transit to give multi-barrelled names to Vancouver SkyTrain stations bugs the living snot out of me.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I looked it up and it's actually a GO train station:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Cummer_GO_Station
It is, but It is also a planned stop on the Yonge subway extension. both are quite funny.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 3:41 PM

I urge you all to send an email to the transit commission regarding the hideous cost saving exterior design of that train. To spend so much money and thought on such a beautifully designed system only to put the most bland, boring paint scheme on the train is a disgrace. I suggested putting forth several designs and letting the public vote. Or just implement the concept train design they had on the station mock ups. Here is who you need to email:

Blair.Crew@ottawa.ca
Justin.Ferrabee@ottawa.ca
Mark.Johnson3@ottawa.ca
Emily.Rahn@ottawa.ca
Stephen.Blais@ottawa.ca
Rainer.Bloess@ottawa.ca
Diane.Deans@ottawa.ca
ward9@ottawa.ca
Katherine.Hobbs@ottawa.ca
Shad.Qadri@ottawa.ca
Tim.Tierney@ottawa.ca
Marianne.Wilkinson@ottawa.ca

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation