HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
This is another example of the City failing to engage with the public. They could have held a design contest where everyone in the city is invited to come up with a design scheme (under certain parameters such as palette) then get people to vote on it, etc. You know, get the public to get behind the plan. But oh no, they've got to do it internally.
Yeah, what is up with that?
The $ spent towards internal design and/or consultants for design could've just been used for a simple upload & vote.
Heck, maybe it would've cost less if the City used a FB page for uploads and let citizens vote or something along those lines.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 4:28 PM

Station naming

Does not make sense... IMO stations should be named:

- Holland
- Bayview
- Booth (Lebreton Flats as secondary wayfinding)
- Lyon
- O'Connor (Parliament Hill as secondary wayfinding)
- Rideau (Byward Market as secondary wayfinding)
- uOttawa
- Lees
- Hurdman
- Tremblay (Ottawa Train Station as secondary wayfinding)
- St. Laurent
- Cyrville
- Blair.

Rename Dominion Station to Kichissippi and Baseline to Algonquin. Done

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 5:09 PM

I would've picked:

- Tunney's
- Bayview
- Lebreton
- Downtown West
- Downtown East
- Rideau (or Byward as 2nd choice)
- uOttawa
- Lees
- Hurdman
- Trainyards (Tremblay as 2nd choice)
- St-Laurent
- Cyrville
- Blair

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 5:18 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr872190 View Post
I urge you all to send an email to the transit commission regarding the hideous cost saving exterior design of that train. To spend so much money and thought on such a beautifully designed system only to put the most bland, boring paint scheme on the train is a disgrace. I suggested putting forth several designs and letting the public vote. Or just implement the concept train design they had on the station mock ups. Here is who you need to email:

Blair.Crew@ottawa.ca
Justin.Ferrabee@ottawa.ca
Mark.Johnson3@ottawa.ca
Emily.Rahn@ottawa.ca
Stephen.Blais@ottawa.ca
Rainer.Bloess@ottawa.ca
Diane.Deans@ottawa.ca
ward9@ottawa.ca
Katherine.Hobbs@ottawa.ca
Shad.Qadri@ottawa.ca
Tim.Tierney@ottawa.ca
Marianne.Wilkinson@ottawa.ca
While a bit bland, the paint scheme is only an aesthetic issue. The name Pimisi, however, is a functional problem. Without proper geographically referenced names, the system gets saddled with a major usability problem. And an expensive one to fix after the fact too.

Use the above Transit Commission emails to let them know about this more important problem.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 7:22 PM

I agree, the name Pimisi is pointless and political correctness gone too far. It needs to remain LeBreton, which references the location. They didn't even open that name up for public debate!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 7:27 PM

As I previously posted:

Priority order for naming IMO:

1) Important landmark in the area (i.e. major shopping mall, college/university, important point of interest like Parliament) - examples: St. Laurent, Carleton, uOttawa, Bayshore, etc.

2) Community name, if well known to the area - examples: Westboro, Hurdman, Lincoln Fields, etc. (Note: I propose changing some west end stations to that level)

3) Nearby major arterial road that sticks out - examples: Blair, Pinecrest, Baseline, etc.

4) If none of those are suitable, look for a minor arterial or collector road that is fairly well known - examples: Lees, Iris, Tremblay, etc.

5) If still no suitable name, consider historical factors or poll the community for clear landmarks (cannot be politically motivated!)

For these stations, how they are met:

Tunney's Pasture - #2
Bayview - #4 (nothing else suitable)
Pimisi (?) - Politically motivated, needs to be removed; LeBreton at #2 most suitable; Booth next most suitable at #4
Lyon - #4 (several competing names possible there)
Parliament/Parlement - #1
Rideau - #1 and #3
uOttawa - #1 (Sandy Hill meets #2 but not as suitable)
Lees - #4 (nothing else suitable)
Hurdman - #2
Tremblay - #4 (nothing else suitable; references to the VIA station create too much confusion)
St. Laurent - #1 and #3
Cyrville - #2 and #4
Blair - #3 (no obvious community name to draw from)

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Blair - #3 (no obvious community name to draw from)
Minor quibble (I have no issue with Blair, it's the existing name), but "Gloucester Centre" would be an appropriate community-drawn name too, especially if TOD plans turn into actual and significant T-O D around the station, it will become a "town centre" for the old city of Gloucester.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 8:13 PM

So clearly I'm an outlier here, but I actually don't mind Pimisi; it's not that hard to say ("pimm-issy" in English, "pis-mis-çi" en français); and the missing geographic reference is easy to resolve: rename the vestigial Wellington St (below the number 8 in the map linked below) "Pimisi St," done. (or give the name to the N-S street between Lett and Booth, and add a pedestrian bridge to the Station)

http://app06.ottawa.ca/cs/groups/con..._123464950.jpg

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 8:34 PM
Closed account

Count me in as not caring for Pimisi.

Just for the fun of it, I made up my own livery. I like the idea of a solid coloured scheme as opposed to getting to fancy with racing stripes and what not. Pardon my terrible photoshop skills.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 9:11 PM
National Capital Region

^ nice work Jeremy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
So clearly I'm an outlier here, but I actually don't mind Pimisi; it's not that hard to say ("pimm-issy" in English, "pis-mis-çi" en français); and the missing geographic reference is easy to resolve: rename the vestigial Wellington St (below the number 8 in the map linked below) "Pimisi St," done. (or give the name to the N-S street between Lett and Booth, and add a pedestrian bridge to the Station)
hmmm, I thought it was "pim-ee-see" (Italian-sounding) my brother thought it was "pimsy" at first

Old Posted Aug 15, 2013, 9:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Your suggestion on how to make the name seem more logical is a good one.

That said, I think that it's inevitable that people will rag on this because it's such a stretch (even with your idea) and smacks of tokenism.

It's unfortunate because, sure, it's a really good idea and wholly appropriate to have a station in the centre of the capital with an aboriginal name.

Unfortunately the way they've done it may lead to negative feelings which is not at all the intent.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 12:21 AM

So how is "Pimisi" to be pronounced in English? My first guess is PIM-i-see, but Pim-EE-see or pim-ISSY seem more logical. Of course slack local pronunciation will turn any soft "i" sounds into "uh", but which syllable is emphasized?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 1:40 AM

I go for P-eye-m-eye-s-I . That sounds like true English. If you want Pim-ee-see, then you need to spell it Pimmisi or better Pimmesi. I was taught that normally when there is only a single consonant following a vowel, it is a hard vowel. So i becomes eye.

I groan at station names that have no publically understood location reference. Why can't we wait until the western extension is built and use Kitchissippi as relevant to First Nations?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 1:46 AM

If they really want to make this work and acknowledge first nations while not confusing the public and creating a backlash, it should be hyphenated Pimisi-Lebreton. People do want to know where they are going and station names need to be easily associated with the location.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 1:50 AM

[QUOTE=lrt's friend;6234418]I go for P-eye-m-eye-s-I . That sounds like true English. If you want Pim-ee-see, then you need to spell it Pimmisi or better Pimmesi. I was taught that normally when there is only a single consonant following a vowel, it is a hard vowel. So i becomes eye.
..........QUOTE]

You are correct, of course. Making the "i"s long sounds strange, but I suppose you'd get used to it. Hasn't anybody heard it pronounced on TV or radio?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 1:50 AM

Quote:

Won't it be wonderful when all of these buildings are built as replicates of the first two horrible examples?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 2:00 AM

[QUOTE=kwoldtimer;6234425]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Hasn't anybody heard it pronounced on TV or radio?
Yes, on Ottawa Morning, Stu Mills pronounced it like I tried to spell it above, "pim-issy" or possibly "pih-missy", not unlike the vowel sounds and emphasis in Kitchissippi' (or Kichesippi, if you're a fan of the brewery, like we are.)

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 2:07 AM

[QUOTE=McC;6234434]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post

Yes, on Ottawa Morning, Stu Mills pronounced it like I tried to spell it above, "pim-issy" or possibly "pih-missy", not unlike the vowel sounds and emphasis in Kitchissippi' (or Kichesippi, if you're a fan of the brewery, like we are.)
Sorry to obsess, but accent on the first syllable or the second (PIM-issy vs Pim-ISS-y)?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 2:22 AM

Probably "PIH-missy" but pretty subtle, and balanced between the three.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 3:32 AM

So Pimisi is the Algonquin word for Eel.

I just watched the story on CBC News. Our citizen representative on the transit commission is excited to change the name and it will be decided next week. The first time I have ever seen the citizen representative make any decision, and in a way, a totally meaningless decision. So, is the citizen representative actually representing the citizens on this? Probably not. So why have them?

How many will remember the significance of this name in 5 years? 1% of the population I would think or less. It becomes a name with no context to the general public.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation